Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First off, I want to say yes, the 340PD model 103061 is NOT for anyone but the most experienced marksman. It is a brutally punishing little 357 magnum and I did not write this thread to hear whiny accounts of recoil or how I need huge grips.

Start a thread on the 30-378 Weatherby for that.

My 340PD shoots accurately (but high, as expected) with 38's. Roughly 2" groups at 10 yards.

As a self defense revolver, lawyers have recommended using factory loaded ammunition. This way if something does go down, I'm not using 'special, home-made bullets'.

With my chosen 125g Hornady Critical Defense 357's I am getting poor accuracy. Groups move hard left and get huge.

I am hopeful there is at least a few guys who carry a 340, and know how to shoot them here on the S&W forums.

Does anyone here shoot full power 357's?

Would you please share what factory load you found that shoots accurately?

Factory self defense loads are so expensive, and there are so many, I want to thank you kindly, in advance, for pointing me down the correct road.

For anyone who shoots pistols and has progressed through their flinch, pick up a 340PD and you will get your flinch back.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Try 158's. They seem to work better for me, and S&W does not recommend light bullets with the Ti cylinder.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, 120g minimum. I was going for total carry weight with the 125's.

I've been reading articles for days and days on the 340. I've heard 158's work from only one other source. Everyone else just go on and on about recoil.

The recoil is exactly what I expected from this little powerhouse.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
While I don’t shoot a 340- Ruger Speed-Six- I have had very good results with Speer Gol Dot 125’s and Remington 125 SJHP. Speer makes a short barrel load that’s low flash, and very controllable in my Ruger. That said, I have good, finger-groove stocks that help dissipate the recoil. Hank

·
Premium Member
10,738 Posts
Consider the aim correction chart as part of dealing with this:

Correction.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I don’t shoot a 340- Ruger Speed-Six- I have had very good results with Speer Gol Dot 125’s and Remington 125 SJHP. Speer makes a short barrel load that’s low flash, and very controllable in my Ruger. That said, I have good, finger-groove stocks that help dissipate the recoil. Hank
This is a firearm specific question. But thank you for your input.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
True, 120g minimum. I was going for total carry weight with the 125's.

I've been reading articles for days and days on the 340. I've heard 158's work from only one other source. Everyone else just go on and on about recoil.

The recoil is exactly what I expected from this little powerhouse.

Meh, it's not like it's a 200 round a day range gun. Try a box and see if the difference is noticeable to you.

Reactions: MOONDAWG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Meh, it's not like it's a 200 round a day range gun. Try a box and see if the difference is noticeable to you.
True enough. I'm just looking for a fresh starting point.

I've been carrying it for 2 years.

Like I said, with 38 158gWC's it shoots exceptional. But I didn't buy a 357 to shoot 38's.

Thanks for the tip. I will post my results.

I may even make a video and show what a snubby is actually capable of.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I've never been concerned with accuracy in my 340PD. It is made for bad breath distances, nothing more. I am right handed. I carry it in a pocket holster in my left pocket, It also has some really cool metal grips I got on here. I always shoot a cylinder of .357 Magnum 125 Grain Federal JHPs through it, which is what I load it with, whenever I go to the range, left handed. The pain is REALLY bad, but I reckon it hurts a lot worse on the other side.
This ain't a gun to enjoy a day of shooting with. It is one that will protect your hide up close and personal.
Just a bit of advice from somebody who has been carrying almost 35 years.
Jim

·
Registered
421 Posts
May I ask why you carry in your left pocket if your right handed?
I have a 340PD , don't use it as a carry gun. Only because haven't found a comfortable way to carry it.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I have a 340PD , don't use it as a carry gun. Only because haven't found a comfortable way to carry it.
Because being right handed I may find myself in an altercation where my dominant hand is being used to fight off an attacker. Gives my non dominant hand the chance to go for my gun.
Hasn't happened....so far.
Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never been concerned with accuracy in my 340PD. It is made for bad breath distances, nothing more. I am right handed. I carry it in a pocket holster in my left pocket, It also has some really cool metal grips I got on here. I always shoot a cylinder of .357 Magnum 125 Grain Federal JHPs through it, which is what I load it with, whenever I go to the range, left handed. The pain is REALLY bad, but I reckon it hurts a lot worse on the other side.
This ain't a gun to enjoy a day of shooting with. It is one that will protect your hide up close and personal.
Just a bit of advice from somebody who has been carrying almost 35 years.
Jim
I have no problem shooting snubbies accurately. I guess we are simply different calibers of marksman.

Snubbys are grossly under rated for accuracy. I hear guys poo poo them every day. I never hear (hardly) anyone take the time to actually TRY and shoot them accurately.

My 340 holds 2" groups at 10ish yards, offhand, with wadcutters. While that's nothing compared to a one hole Gold Cup, it is way better than bad breath distances they're given credit for. Not to mention thay I'm sure that my group would tighten up a lot if I shot off a bag. And that's with a stock DA 340, not no heavy model 60 with trigger work.

And, while I'm nowhere near the pistol marksman Bob Munden was, I am certain that I could re-create his 200yd balloon shot with a snubby. Give me a nice day at the range, a few boxes of shells, and I'd be popping balloons!

Like anything else, practicing, taking time to find a cartridge that shoots well, consistancy, and understanding your firearm goes a long way.

All of the modern micros, like the shield, which claims a 3.1" barrel, are using a little tom-foolery. When it comes down to it, that 3.1" barrel is actually closer to a 2" barrel (9mm 1.169" OAL plus freebore) because the chamber is included in the barrel length. This is basically exactly the barrel length a snubby has. So anyone telling us a snubby can't shoot, here try a Shield, is blowing smoke up our butts.

Practice, practice, and know your defensive tool. And put the work in to get it right!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use a desantis iwb $10 tuckable holster. I can carry my 340 wearing drawstring gymshorts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well guys,

I picked up some speer gold dot 357 mags in 158 grain qnd just like magic, my 340PD started shooting correctly.

Squares in photo are 1". 3 shots @ 10 yards. 2 shots in same hole.

Slightly high, but easily compensated for.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,937 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
In my M&P 340, I carry 158 JHPs, and they seem to shoot to POA at ~10yds or so. As others have said, it's NOT a target gun, but it's nice to know that it will put them where you want them when it has to. And yes, the recoil is no joke, but I have a set of DeSantis "Hip Grips" on it, and the hook area acts as a hand filler for me. I knew it would "rear up" some before I bought it, but I wanted power in a small package. I got it, in spades.
Now, you want kick? Slide by the house and we'll go shoot my vintage American Derringer Model 10. That's a lightweight version of their Model 1, and this one is in 45acp. Wanna go fer a ride on that pony, sonny? (even with match 230 ball, it's a palm crushing SOB for sure!)

·
Super Moderator
19,366 Posts
In my 340 M&P the only ammo I shoot out of it is either Speer Gold Dot 158 gr., or Hornady Critical Defense 158 gr.
Both are nearly perfect at 10 yds. IIRC the Hornady shoots about 1" high, and the Speer is spot on.
I've never tried to shoot any other ammo in it because those are the only two I would totally depend on in a life altering situation..

111 026.jpg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts