Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,
New to the group and just received a 32 Winchester CTG as a gift with Serial number 52711. I have no clue where to begin looking on history or worth. I think it was maybe a police issued that came from Neighbor. Any help appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I didn't think it was that old but good to know. Would you know the worth?
Thanks
Eddie

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
In that condition maybe $200- $300 around here (assuming it functions well) and the bore is clean

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
32-20, 32 WCF and 32 Winchester were used by S&W at various times in the life span of that model. I don’t know the time frame for each stamp. The revolver was know as the Military & Police model and was chambered for several cartridges including 38 Special, 32 WCF and 38 S&W. Today (actually since 1957) it is known as the Model 10 and is still available.

I have two of the 32 WCF, also known as the Winchester Model. While I am not aware of any Departments issuing that model, most departments required Officers to supply their own sidearms. I carried my Pop’s Winchester Model when I graduated the Police Academy.

These were somewhat popular as rifles were available chambered for the same cartridge, but the 38 Special was much more popular and eventually the 32 WCF chambering was discontinued.

Ammunition is available but not inexpensive. Much cheaper to reload your own.

You have a decent revolver. Maybe clean it up a bit but take it out and enjoy it.

Kevin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kevin, thank you so much for the information. I appreciate the history on it. I will clean it up and go tested. It was a gift so it will be around for a very long time.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you plan to reload, DON'T use the Hodgedon data manual No. 26. It lists loads with as much as 17 grains of H110 behind an 85 gr bullet for a velocity of over 1700 fps out of a 7 1/2" barrel. Their test gun was a Ruger Blackhawk and it might not blow that gun up but I wouldn't use it in yours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good info thank you, that was my next question on best ammo for it.
Is there a way to find out history of ownership by serial numbers? Were they registered like now days.

Thanks
Eddie.

·
Premium Member
18,599 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! There are no history databases except those maintained in the collector community. But, I doubt your gun would be in there. Mostly highly collectible handguns are captured in that. The only guns registered before WWII were the S&W Registered Magnums. All the .32-20s were made before 1930 and discontinued even though they stayed in inventory until around 1940. They were an extremely slow seller. You can order ammo online as it is rarely sold at retail brick and mortar stores. Cowboy ammo would work fine in it.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
The 98 grains is the weight of the bullet or projectile in the ammunition. The bullet is a round nose lead projectile.

Looking at the label on the box, I think that is ammunition for a 32 S’W Long cartridge. Not the same as 32-20.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
18,599 Posts
Yes, wrong ammo. The .32-20 is not a commonly stocked ammo.

·
Registered
21,976 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
"Wrong" ammo, but it can be used, & having less recoil, would be more pleasant to shoot; like firing .22 Shorts in a LR chamber. May be some slight loss of accuracy due to the longer bullet "jump" in the .32-20 chamber, but in a handgun, doubt it amounts to much. I reload both .32 L & .32-20, & use the same bullet in each.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts