Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this Smith & Wesson 6" revolver and the only markings that I can find are very clear. It has the S&W Logo on the right side and the inscription .32 Winchester CTG on the left side of the barrel, and on the butt,a four digit number 30xx. Can someone help me with the Model and Information on this handgun?

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Yep. Yours is a Model of 1899. Based on your S/N (.38's and 32-20's had separate serial number sequences) I'd guess a 1900 ship date..

The one you see is a .38, I do know a guy with the same serial number in 32-20. Caused some hilarity on the Blue forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it does,except for the shine. Mine has a patina finish but ill just clean on it as much as I can!! Thanks for the reply.......
Yep. Yours is a Model of 1899. Based on your S/N (.38's and 32-20's had separate serial number sequences) I'd guess a 1900 ship date..

The one you see is a .38, I do know a guy with the same serial number in 32-20. Caused some hilarity on the Blue forum.
Hmmm 1899! My Serial # is fairly low 200x. I would like to find reference info about it on the internet!

·
Registered
8,182 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Your Model 1899 Winchester Model is a K frame, round butt revolver. It falls in with the .38 M&P-type guns but was never considered either military or police. The Winchester Model was never a popular gun and S&W quit making them in 1930. They sold them out of inventory for the next 10 years. Your Model 1899 has the old flat spring trigger return which was changed in 1905 to the rebound slide used from then through today. The trigger return spring is want to break and they are practically impossible to find a replacement for.

You might want to make sure the action is kept clean. Soaking the gun without grips in a 50-50 mixture of auto transmission fluid and acetone for several days will loosen old varnish and make flushing it out easier. Just use a sealed container that the acetone won't dissolve. After a few days of soaking, flush out the action with aerosol brake/carb/parts cleaner until the effluent runs clear. If you feel comfortable with opening it up, you can remove the sideplate and clean with a bristle brush or brass brush. Just make sure you separate the lower forward sideplate screw and put it back into the hole it came from. That is the yoke screw and it is fitted to the yoke. By loosening or removing it, you can open the cylinder and pull it forward out of the frame for cleaning.

32-20 ammo is not routinely stocked in most gun or sports shops. You can buy it over the Internet. They used to make a rifle and a handgun cartridge but now all .32-20 ammo is okay to shoot in these old handguns. Enjoy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts