Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited my 94 year old grandmother’s guns. One of these is a 32 WCF serial number 62080. See attached photos. I’ve tried looking up information on it and I haven’t found much information on it. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong places. Any information would be very much appreciated.
It appears to be in fairly good shape. From what I’ve read, 32-20 can be fired through it as she had an old box of 32-20 with it. Not planning on firing it anytime soon.
Brad
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Machine gun

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Bumper Fender

Rectangle Gas Font Metal Door

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
That is an early one. Heat treating cylinders on that Model did not happen until 1919 at approximately serial number 81287, so yours is not heat treated.

Yours is in good shape and should not be a problem with modern ammunition. At one time, there were high speed loads for rifles only, but those have not been available for many decades

Kevin

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
Modern 32-20's Will work fine. Try Ammoseek. Com to get cartridges.

Reactions: combat and Jarhead

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is an early one. Heat treating cylinders on that Model did not happen until 1919 at approximately serial number 81287, so yours is not heat treated.

Yours is in good shape and should not be a problem with modern ammunition. At one time, there were high speed loads for rifles only, but those have not been available for many decades

Kevin

Kevin
Any idea of the year of manufacture?

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
It was made in 1915. Internal to S&W, it was known as the "Winchester Model." Collectors know it as the .32-20 Military & Police Model 1905, 3rd Change. It was made on the K frame which is identical to the .38 M&P except for caliber. Manufacture started in 1899 and ended in 1930. About 145000 were made and sales out of inventory continued after manufacture was stopped until inventory was exhausted in 1940. At 3 different intervals of its manufacture, the caliber stamp read ".32 Winchester, .32 WCF and .32-20." These are all the same cartridge (CTG) which, at the time, was made in handgun and rifle pressures. The rifle ammo is no longer made so modern .32-20 is okay to shoot in these old guns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was made in 1915. Internal to S&W, it was known as the "Winchester Model." Collectors know it as the .32-20 Military & Police Model 1905, 3rd Change. It was made on the K frame which is identical to the .38 M&P except for caliber. Manufacture started in 1899 and ended in 1930. About 145000 were made and sales out of inventory continued after manufacture was stopped until inventory was exhausted in 1940. At 3 different intervals of its manufacture, the caliber stamp read ".32 Winchester, .32 WCF and .32-20." These are all the same cartridge (CTG) which, at the time, was made in handgun and rifle pressures. The rifle ammo is no longer made so modern .32-20 is okay to shoot in these old guns.
Awesome information! Very much appreciated! It’s sitting snug as a bug in my vault. Brad

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
That's a very nice example. Most of the ones I've seen were well used. I had three of them at one time but am down to one now.

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recently inherited my 94 year old grandmother’s guns. One of these is a 32 WCF serial number 62080. See attached photos. I’ve tried looking up information on it and I haven’t found much information on it. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong places. Any information would be very much appreciated.
It appears to be in fairly good shape. From what I’ve read, 32-20 can be fired through it as she had an old box of 32-20 with it. Not planning on firing it anytime soon.
Brad
View attachment 570208
View attachment 570207
View attachment 570206
When I first looked at this, I was reading it upside down. I originally thought it read 08039. Flip your phone and I think you’ll agree with me! Then I thought no serial number would start with a zero.
Brad
View attachment 570208
View attachment 570207
View attachment 570206
When I first looked at this, I was reading it upside down. Thought it read 08039. Flip your phone over on the serial number picture and you’ll see what I saw. Then I told myself that no serial number would start with a zero.

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
"Club guns" which were promotional guns given away by S&W, had serials starting with zero. But at most they were 3 digit serials. Not yours..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts