Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I'm new here so please bear with me. I just inherited a S&W 32 top break 2 inch barrel. Pictures will follow as soon as I figure that part out. It has blued finish with serial number 359 XXX located under the grip on the left side. Grips are black with S&W mark on them. It has a hammer and 32 cal S&W CTGE on the barrel but no other markings found anywhere else. I'm not looking for value but would like to know how old it is. Thank you to anyone that can help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! If it is truly stamped "32 cal S&W CTGE", it's not a S&W but probably a copy. Also, the serial number is too high for a S&W .32 top break. They stopped at 327xxx. Iver Johnson and H&R were among some of the manufacturers around the turn of the 20th century who copied S&W guns. Also, 2" S&W top breaks are pretty uncommon with original barrels. We will definitely need pictures. They are pretty easy. Shoot some, transfer to your computer and drag and drop them into your post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! If it is truly stamped "32 cal S&W CTGE", it's not a S&W but probably a copy. Also, the serial number is too high for a S&W .32 top break. They stopped at 327xxx. Iver Johnson and H&R were among some of the manufacturers around the turn of the 20th century who copied S&W guns. Also, 2" S&W top breaks are pretty uncommon with original barrels. We will definitely need pictures. They are pretty easy. Shoot some, transfer to your computer and drag and drop them into your post.
Thanks for the info. I had my girlfriend help with the pictures. She put them on the original post.

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Yes, definitely not a S&W even though it has S&W hard rubber grips on it. The grips fit the frame poorly. I don't know who made it. Maybe someone else knows?

Reactions: TysonAnnabel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, definitely not a S&W even though it has S&W hard rubber grips on it. The grips fit the frame poorly. I don't know who made it. Maybe someone else knows?
It was my grandfathers and he was a Chicago buss driver his whole career. He died over 30 years ago when my uncle got it and just passed it to me. It probably spent a lot of time in gramps pocket. I'll never fire it, but it's just a cool piece of family history. Thanks again for you taking a look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts