Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is in the right thread but here goes. I have a .327 Federal Magnum that I shoot .32 S&W Longs thru. My question is how does one know if an older .32 revolver can safely shoot the Longs or only the standard S&W cartridge? I'm guessing the cylinder length may be different but not sure. If the gun is only marked .32 S&W, does that mean no Longs, even though the cartridge was in production at the time? I know you're not supposed to shoot Longs in a gun not designed for them, but I'm not familiar enuf with the guns to know if they're markings are designated for Longs or not. Any thoughts on this? Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
You can shoot shorter rounds in the chamber ie your 327 magnum can shoot 327 Mag. 32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W Long/32 Colt New Police or 32 S&W but of course If you have a 32 S&W revolver you cannot shoot the longer rounds and of course they will not fit in the cylinder chamber anyway. The 32 S&W Long and the 32 Colt New Police are the same round but there is a smaller around 32 Colt long and 32 Colt Short round that you do not want to try and shoot.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can shoot shorter rounds in the chamber ie your 327 magnum can shoot 327 Mag. 32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W Long/32 Colt New Police or 32 S&W but of course If you have a 32 S&W revolver you cannot shoot the longer rounds and of course they will not fit in the cylinder chamber anyway. The 32 S&W Long and the 32 Colt New Police are the same round but there is a smaller around 32 Colt long and 32 Colt Short round that you do not want to try and shoot.
Maybe I wasn't clear on my question. I understand I can shoot the various .32s in my .327 (which I do), and I get the difference between the S&W and New Police. What I was asking was can the .32 Long be safely shot in the older (vintage?) .32 caliber revolvers. I know the case is longer so it may be a moot point if it won't work in the cylinder. The Long is also higher pressure so that may also be a factor.
How can I know if an older .32 revolver can handle the .32 Long, sight unseen? Are the guns that can handle the S&W Longs labeled as such in some way? I'm thinking about getting an older .32 revolver but don't want to be restricted to the standard S&W ctg. I reload for the Longs, but not the shorter ones.

·
Registered
28,117 Posts
because it should say 32S&W Long on the barrel

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
because it should say 32S&W Long on the barrel
Thanx. You just summed it up in less than ten words. Of all the .32 revolvers I've seen posted online, I don't recall any mentioning "Long" in the ad. Do you have any idea when those were starting to be made for the Long? The cartridge has been around for 100+ years.

·
Registered
28,117 Posts
My I frame 32SWL dates from the 20s

Reactions: 5150
1 - 6 of 6 Posts