Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a S&W 32 cal revolver. I hope the pic is attached. I was wondering if anyone can tell me the model, possible year of manufacture, and should I shoot it?
I have a reputable gun shop near me and they do sell the correct ammo., however I haven't brought the gun in so, over the phone their guess is as good as it can be I suppose.

One more question. I don't want to offend the gun's heritage or it's history. Would it be a breach of proper gun ownership to try and re-blue the gun and maybe add some nicer wood grips to preserve the firearm and clean it up a bit? imagejpeg_0(1).jpg

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Are there any other markings on the right side that might give a clue where it came from? I don't see anything on the left that helps.
You can do whatever you want to dress it up. Just understand it might not be worth the cost to turn it into a wall hanger. Your gunsmith should examine it to see if it is safe to shoot. I probably wouldn't plan on doing much with it until you discover exactly what you have. If it's just an old knock-off, save your cash for something usable. JMHO

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Better photos of all the markings will help us determine what you have. I am fairly sure S&W was not using coiled mainsprings in that style of revolver.

Kevin

·
Registered
20,991 Posts
Welcome to the forum!:)

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida. weiweinp

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well....turns out it's not a 32. Took it to a gun shop and 32 ammo falls right thru the cylinder. 38 spl is too long and only goes halfway into cylinder. We tried 380, 9mm, etc...everything is too small in diameter or if it fits, it is fitting under the extractor so that cant be the correct cartridge. Any ideas what it may be? It is an iver Johnson serial # 72771. I cant see any caliber specs on the gun. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Try .38 S&W. Despite a lot of bad information .38 S&W is not a shorter version of .38 special, it has a wider base & is tapered.

·
Registered
17 Posts
5b414195af0b7_IverJohnson_1.thumb.jpg.e8623821c4461c9156c16c3b3befb971.jpg
5b41418bda28a_IverJohnson.thumb.jpg.6da263394b4fb65de1cf3fa926698f15_1.jpg
Welcome! Someone on another forum gave me this info for mine.

That would be a Iver Johnson Arm's & Cycle Works revolver I believe called the Safety Automatic. From wikipedia...

Safety automatic
Standard models with external hammer:

First Model (1894—1895), single post latch system
Second Model (1896—1908), double post latch system
Third Model (1909—1941), double post latch system, adapted for smokeless powder

1 - 11 of 11 Posts