Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13-year-old son just received this gun from his grandfather as a gift, and I want to find more about it

Any information that you can give me would be helpful as to the age of the gun, value, etc.....

1. The serial number is on the butt of gun #270154
2. Pearl Handle
3. I have some of the original bullets from when the gun was purchased.
4. On the left side of the barrel it is stamped 32 Long CTG
5. It is kind of a blue-black finish
6. Push eject empty cartridge
7. See pictures below

Thank you in advance and G-d bless you

Attachments

·
Registered
15,307 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am far from an expert on these older pre WW1 revolvers but I'll give it a shot. I believe that is a 32 Hand Ejector, 3rd model. Serial number indicates it was made in about 1918. It is built on the no longer made I frame.
The grips appear to be pearl. I don't know much about them except that they can be fragile when old. If those are S&W factory grips, and I suspect they may be, they are quite valuable. The revolver appears to be in great shape, but I really don't know what the value might be these days but I would guess north of $600 plus the value of the grips which may very well be a few hundred if they are indeed factory pearls.
Check back tomorrow and you will have more responses from members more knowledgeable on these

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
Hey Sarge,

Welcome to S&W!

What a great piece of AMERICANA!

Good for you & your son....

(what do I need to do............to get adopted?) LOL

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Great condition is right. (y) I sure hope that it's not a re-blue. I'd like to think that was the original finish kept just as nice as could be during all these years. :)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Looking at the side plate on the revolver it seems to be a re-finished S&W but still a nice revolver.
I see a sort of swirl look to the finish of the sideplate. I think it's just from decades of handling and cleaning, not necessarily refinishing. The sideplate lines look crisp if slightly worn from sideplate removal. Also note the muzzle wear and wear on the ejector rod. If it was refinished, it must have been done a long time ago. :unsure:

I'd add that gun to my collection! (y) :)

·
Premium Member
13,678 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on receiving this family heirloom.

I don't know of any state that permits handgun transfers to a young man of 13 years of age. My own state mandates an age of 18 or older, and requires a sheriff issued permit. Your state will have it's own laws in this area. Some states have special rules for close transfers within families.

Please ensure that the transfer is lawful, or that a transfer to you is lawful as you hold the gun for your son to come of legal age. Again, check your own state and local laws.

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
That's a little beauty. Grandpa has great taste and your son is one lucky boy.

·
Premium Member
20,723 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Yes, the gun has been refinished but it was a good job. The Pearl grips are S&W and quite valuable. A wonderful heirloom!

Guy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts