Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I sectioned some brass from a .327 and there is a difference between the original Federal and the new.327 H&R. The case head is beefier.

Bobf was kind enough to donate the .327 Brass for this little experiment. It was trimmed to .32 length...roughly 1/10 of an inch. Because the case capacity changed I used a similiar reload for the first batch. 4.1 grains of Unique under a 100 SWC lead bullet. I shot this new resized brass against some original Federal .32 H&R today at a club steel plate shoot. The original .32 Federal was difficult to extract . The .327 resized cases about fell out. And there was a noticiable difference in the load, definitely had more snap to it. Nothing scientific today, no chrono loads...just by guess and by golly.

I will say that it was performing at near equal to 158 factory 38 Special ~ relative to the knockdown power on the steel plates.

Cush was at the club shoot and will verify that in the .32 Ruger Single Six this is a laser straight load at 15 yards with the fixed sights. Actually pretty impressive given the diminulative nature of the cartridge....

giz

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks C.

Kinda makes you wonder. The 32 H&R magnum is a misnomer. It truly isn't a magnum chambering. The velocity is just to low in the factory configuration. And so the original brass made for it was relatively weak.

The cartridge has a following, and I'm one that has always thought it as a bridge cartridge. In between the 32 S&W and the .38 Special. But now that I've discovered a way to get better performance out of it, it makes me wonder if the leap up to the .327 Magnum is really needed. Especially in lieu of the fact that the .327 is limited to only one factory revolver and it is not a hunting style gun.

giz

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Gizamo said:
Cush was at the club shoot and will verify that in the .32 Ruger Single Six this is a laser straight load at 15 yards with the fixed sights. Actually pretty impressive given the diminulative nature of the cartridge....

giz
Indeed I can! I've got to tell ya Giz, shooting that .32 of yours and my 4" 57...how can it get any better? I REALLY liked that Ruger of yours in that caliber. I'm not sold on the bird's head grip yet, but after another 50 rounds or so I might be persuaded. :lol:

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
Have you weighed the two or checked for water capacity between the two?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've read quite a bit about the 327, but I have yet to see one for sell anywhere in my area. I liked the idea when I first read about them, they can shoot 327 or any 32 bullet, including mags right? Maybe sometime I'll happen upon one and can take a closer look. Anyone know how many manufacturers are currently making models in the 327 cartridge.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I tried midway for some brass no deal. Starline same thing, giz got me all excited then I drew a blank. I thought that I could get my name on this wildcat before giz. :mrgreen:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The very top of the line in a hunting handgun chambered for the .327 Magnum is by Freedom Arms...you just need to hit the lottery to buy it :) All kidding aside, it is one of the finest Single Action Firearms ever made, and worth every penny.

I'm trying to get near that performance on the side of thrifty. And have always felt the .32 H&R was truly underpowered...Thanks to Ruger, that is no longer the issue...

giz

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob,

An indication of what the .32 H&R is capable of, now that there is good brass available for it...(thanks Bub!)....is lookin' pretty good!

I'm thinkin' I don't need to worry about a .327 given the new brass and the capability of it in the old whimpy .32 H&R.... ;) The old cartridge in a gun that can handle it...rocks... :D

giz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts