Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve recently come into possession of a s&w .32 5-shot revolver. I believe it is a fourth model. Black checkered stocks with s&w insignia. It has a nickel finish and is in fantastic condition. Patent info and address stamped in two lines on top of barrel. Serial number on frame, scratched into inside of right stock ( is this normal?) and on cylinder. All matching. In my research I have come to believe that the trigger and hammer were case color hardened originally and not nickel plated, however on this pistol they ARE nickel plated. Could anyone date this for me and let me know if the hammer and trigger have been re-finished? Also a roundabout value? ( will not be selling, just curious). Serial number is 26366**. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
18,608 Posts
The gun has been refinished in nickel. Who knows where it started: nickel or blue. Also it's missing a lot of parts. I'd value it at about $75 for parts. If you can find the parts and complete it, it'll still be worth less than $200. It is a third model made between 1884 and 1895.

Guy

·
Registered
12,655 Posts
If a S&W revolver has a nickel plated hammer & trigger, there is a 99.9% chance the whole gun was refinished. No one gets just the hammer & trigger plated, and S&W never nickel plated those parts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gun has been refinished in nickel. Who knows where it started: nickel or blue. Also it's missing a lot of parts. I'd value it at about $75 for parts. If you can find the parts and complete it, it'll still be worth less than $200. It is a third model made between 1884 and 1895.

Guy
I'm In the process of cleaning. All parts are accounted for and all serial numbers are matching. Do you know if it is correct for the serial number to be scratched into the right stock? Thanks for the fast response!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If a S&W revolver has a nickel plated hammer & trigger, there is a 99.9% chance the whole gun was refinished. No one gets just the hammer & trigger plated, and S&W never nickel plated those parts
Yes more than likely. I actually just had a trigger, sights, and mag tube block nickeled on a Springfield 87a 22lr. So maybe they did the same? Haha. Thanks for the response! Do you know if it’s normal for serial number to be scratched into inside of right stock?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Guy
actually the mainspring WAS broken so I’ve got to purchase one. Do you know of a good place to buy parts? Not worried about an original. Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,608 Posts
Try:
Gunpartscorp.com
GunPartsauction.com
Gunbroker.com
Ebay.com

Guy

Reactions: Coleg1121

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try:
Gunpartscorp.com
GunPartsauction.com
Gunbroker.com
Ebay.com

Guy
thanks! And I’m assuming due to the more thank likely refinishing, it would not be worth buying an original part? And would it be a bad idea to strip the nickel off of the hammer and trigger and case color it just to keep it true to original? My great aunt gave it to me Her uncle committed suicide with it so the piece will never be sold, at least while I’m alive. Cool story behind it.

·
Premium Member
18,608 Posts
There are no currently produced parts for that gun. Any part you buy will be a part removed from a gun that was stripped. Usually the mainspring is pretty rugged. So if it's intact, it should work fine. I wouldn't do anything more to the appearance of the gun but put the original parts back if you have them. If not most of them are easily found because those guns were produced in the hundreds of thousands. It will never be worth very much to anyone but you and your family as an heirloom. You might consider putting it in a shadow box and displaying it prominently.

Guy

·
Premium Member
18,608 Posts
Oh one of the places that actually makes parts for old guns is Jackfirstgun.Com. they have an online catalog but it doesn't list all of the things that they sell. So if you don't see a mainspring for your gun , you can give them a call and ask.

Guy

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Premium Member
18,608 Posts
They penciled the serial number in on the wooden panels, but scratched it into the back of the hard rubber panels.

Guy

Reactions: jeepnut
1 - 12 of 12 Posts