Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The area Wal-Mart I frequent most often always had a good supply and variety of handguns ammo. I was there the Sunday before Christmas and about a week before that. On the earlier trip there was a few random odds and ends in the ammo cabinet, along with 8 or 9 boxes of Winchester 32 auto. It was only $8 per box. A week later the cabinet is picked clean, except for 8 or 9 boxes of Winchester 32 auto. I was surprised that no one had cleaned them out at that price. I realize one store doesn't equate to research, but I have a feeling the .32 auto must be one of the least popular handgun calibers in the area. The 25 auto was cleaned out pretty fast

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wikipedia says:
The popularity of the .32 ACP in the early half of the 20th century cannot be overstated—especially in Europe. Firearms expert Geoffrey Boothroyd of the UK informed author Ian Fleming, his countryman, that James Bond's side arm should be a Walther PPK chambered in .32 ACP. A significant factor in recommending this round was its near universal availability throughout the world in the 1950s.[SUP][7][/SUP] The .32 ACP has been chambered in more handguns than any other cartridge. Between 1899 and 1909, Fabrique Nationale produced 500,000 guns chambered for .32 ACP.[SUP][8][/SUP]

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
In terms of active use the .25 ACP and .32 ACP I believe are largely becoming obsolescent. With polymer midgets like the Keltec and Ruger LCP available in .380 and rivaling great grandpa's vest pocket in size and weight I think the decline will continue. Sure they are still out there, a few will continue to carry them seriously; owners will exercise them occasionally. The long term trend is downward.

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,960 Posts
i have several semi's in 32 acp around - will never take the place of the shield or the 649 for carry, but still fun guns to shoot..

the 1903 Colt and the 1908 Webley in particular see occasional daylight at the range - i dont run but a mag or two thru them..

if i saw a local deal on 32 acp it would be snapped up.. I typically buy 4 boxes or so online when i get low

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Over the years I've heard several stories/opinions/discussions about the .25 and .32 automatics.

The first is a caution about getting hurt by acquiring a holster for either one of them..........."be careful in buying a holster rig because if you get one you could pack the pistol.........if you pack it, then someday you just may need a gun and you'll be tempted to use it.........and if you use it, you'll probably really piss off the perp........then you'll likely get hurt when they strangle, stab or otherwise do you harm".

I've also heard that either caliber can be used for personal defense if a bear should attack..........if that ever occurs, use the pistol to shoot someone else in the foot and then you run like Hell.

I guess this doesn't really answer your question, but I enjoyed telling you the stories...................LOL

·
Registered
364 Posts
Jonsey has the right idea. At that price buy 'em out and then go out and buy something to shoot them with. When I had my Father's PPK bring back from WW-II I would've jumped at that price, especially since they were Winchester. The PPK and the P-38 didn't like Remington ammo for reasons I won't go into.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I get having a 32 or a 25 just to "have" one.. but realistically (as has been colorfully explained by oldgungeezer LOL) they are useless. I have a 25 auto.. an old Beretta my dad used to have. I probably have 700 rounds of ammo for it too, but there's not a snowballs chance I'd ever carry it.

With all the pocket 9mm's out there today, why would you? 9mm is pretty much my "floor" for a carry piece. Anything less than that is dicey for personal protection IMO.

·
Banned
917 Posts
The way I see it, 32ACP is in the niche that's been squeezed out. People either go for 380 or 9mm, in the same sized gun, or opt for 25ACP, in the smaller gun.
32ACP was wildly popular, 50 to 100 years ago, it just doesn't have a shooter following today. People who buy 32s these days are mostly collectors.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Just to take up the limited power of the .32acp for a moment:
Federal came out with the .327 magnum a while back. Ruger is finding some success with it in their LCR as well as some rifles. As a bonus, you can shoot the old .32s as practice ammo. It packs a punch comparable to a 380.
What if the round was further developed as an acp? Probably happening. I'm just too far behind to know. A 327acp could open a whole new generation of pocket pistols.

I might at least consider it.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I always ask folks who scoff at 32 acp and 380 to hold my target at 5 yards away and let me shoot for placement. All but one refused and he is no longer with us!:D

Hey it was good enough for Bond, James Bond!;)

EDIT: I forgot "Leroy Brown":D

"He got a 32 gun in his pocket full a fun"

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,960 Posts
Some 32 autos are just fun
i agree - the Colt 1903 is an iconic gun and even 115+ years later its still a fun gun and a viable shooter. its overall style, the thin / concealable frame and its in the hand feel are like nothing else.

In particular, its appearance in films styled to the 20's and 30's always cause me to stop and rewind/pause to see what they are using.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
I always ask folks who scoff at 32 acp and 380 to hold my target at 5 yards away and let me shoot for placement. All but one refused and he is no longer with us!:D

Hey it was good enough for Bond, James Bond!;)

EDIT: I forgot "Leroy Brown":D

"He got a 32 gun in his pocket full a fun"
If asked, I wonder how many people would hold the dart board for me as I throw darts..........chuckle

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was at Walmart again today for groceries. The lady that manages the ammo counter was there. she said that everything left went to the state police today. I brought up the 32 auto I had seen earlier and she said all but 3 ended up selling and those last 3 went to the state police.
The cabinet was full of ammo. There is now a wider variety of 22 ammo with more brands/types as well as more diverse packaging sizes. I didn't look real close but it looked to me like they had a lot of Remington rifle ammo in maybe a 40 round box along with the standard 20 round boxes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts