Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
My DPMS LR308 shoots great with 165-168 grain bullets but I tried 150 grain plain label American Eagle and they keyhole at 100 yrds and are all over the place. Do you have that problem mkk1?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What was the solution to this problem? I am having the same issue with mine. Does it just need to be fired more?
I put the magazine in, chamber a round, then remove the mag, fire the round and so on to prevent the jamming. I have only gone through a few boxes so far, but I guess I will continue this way to see if it breaks in or not.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Fall,

My first inclination pertaining to your problem would be to try a USGI magazine, do not remove the mag before firing, and see if it feeds.

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've shot both Remington .308 and 7.62 NATO without a problem. Lately I've been shooting ZQI 7.62 M80 147 grain and haven't had any problems. The best place to get it is through the ZQI USA website or another dealer with a better deal. The ammo is made in Turkey and if you have a problem with that I'd suggest going to YouTube and looking for "Tour of the MKE / ZQI Ammunition Factory in Turkey". I think you'll be duly impressed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Real quick because it's late and I gotta get up early in the morning to go shoot my Big Smith-

First, is the problem a Failure to EXTRACT or a Failure to EJECT? Chances are, it's a Failure to Eject. If it's a Failure to Eject, it's very likely this is due to the M&P-10 short stroking due to the lower pressure of the 7.62x51 ammo. The gas port of the M&P-10 is tuned for use with the higher pressure commercial ammo. Stick to shooting commercial pressure ammo and you'll be fine. I had the same isues with my Big Smith. Good news is, as I put more rounds down range and get her broken in, the problems with short stroking with NATO pressure ammo has been going away
I just posted a thread about my new M&P-10 Sport not feeding 7.62 NATO ammo properly, and, I kinda wish I'd shot some more .308 WIN out of it to see if it would "break in" and then feed the 7.62 properly, but I didn't think of that before shipping back to S&W...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dirty ammo....dirty chamber & barrel cause FTE issues. Cheap ammo is the BIG culprit. Clean the BCG too. fwiw
In testing, I was able to eliminate cleanliness or underlubrication.

The rifle is not cycling standard 7.62 NATO M80 Ball ammo. I’ve tried Lake City 147g, Aguila 150g, and Federal XM80C 149g and none will cycle properly. But 2 different .308 WIN loads cycle just fine in the rifle (Federal PowerShok 180g, Tula 150g).

21 - 30 of 30 Posts