Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago I bought a CZ 551 full stock in 308. I think it was unfired, it came from a collectors
estate. I bought CZ mounts and a new Burris scope and took it to the range. After a couple of trips to the range I called Burris. The line of crap I got from thier rep. would have made a siding salesman
proud. After I got the scope back I tried again, no zeroing it.
After three or four years I tried again. I took some 165 Nosler bt bullets and the CZ to the range. No luck getting the scope zeroed. Well I pulled out my 8oz hammer, gave the scope a couple of lite taps on the side. That helped,it kept the bullets on paper. I took it home and swapped the Burris for the Nicon in the pic. Got it zeroed at 50yds. Next trip I'll go to 100yds. Gonna have to warm up for the next trip. The Nicon is so much clearer. This combo is a good shooter.
Cliff
Blue Product Photograph Metal World
Dishware Colorfulness Circle Beige Serveware

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
Never been a fan of the European style furniture because to be accurate down range and consistent, the tube needs to 'free float' from the end of the chamber to the muzzle so it can 'flex' properly (for lack of a better term). They are good looking but not practical for distance accuracy. In theory, the rifle should be able to achieve MOA accuracy at 200 yards or better (2" groups at 200 or tighter). I like to see sub 1" at 200 myself.

Far as Burris anything goes, they are on par with Tru-Glow, IOW junk. The only good Burris scopes made were the Japanese Burris with LOE glass, I have one, it's on my 460 XVR and it's an excellent scope but Burris only produces junk today. Chinese junk, just like Tru-Glow.

Even the low cost Vortex Diamondback line (also Chinese) is better. At least they have some quality control, just like Nikon. The only thing I don't like about the low end Nikon's are the very stiff magnification ring adjustment.

You might want to jump up to a 168 Sierra HPBT Game King. The downrange trajectory is better (they fly better) in Federal brass.

Pretty rifle however. I bet the trigger is clunky. Most of those older rifles need some trigger work. Back in the day, a heavy pull and a gritty squeeze was acceptable but it's not today. I'd have a look around and see if Timmney or Rifle Basics has a drop in trigger. Having a good trigger will do wonders for the overall accuracy.

Have fun and a good Christmas.

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Nice looking rifle.Im a big fan of the Mannlicher style and the .308 Winchester. If it prints at 100yds like that 50, looks like a winner. Burris scopes are hit or miss.Literally. Nikons seem to be much more consistent.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Daryl, the little rifle came with a single set trigger. It is a very lite trigger. The target I showed
Was the whole sight in. I stopped turning knobs after the last shot hit center. Wish I had more of 165 boat tail bullets. I've got one box of Lake City match to try. I think they are172.
For a 20 in barrel I'm pleased with it. Next trip it's the 38-55s turn.
Cliff

·
Super Moderator
35,582 Posts
Fine looking little .308 and I am another fan of the Mannlicher style!

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
21,320 Posts
I like 'the looks of the 'Mannlicher stock', but as Daryl pointed out, the reputation is.....they aren't good for accuracy. I wouldn't know much......I have a 1976 Winchester 94 in .30-30. It's not a very accuate rifle or the cartridge, but it's been good enough for a 100 yd. Deer rifle.......that I can't use for deer, in this stupid state, only Black Bear.

But, I only bought it to collect, anyway. I've seen a value for my rifle the other day of $1200! o_O WOW!!!! Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts