Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to locate some sources for loading 300 grain cast bullets for my .45-70 using Reloader 7 powder. Any sources?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Hi David In my Lyman 48th edition their are numerous loadings for the 45-70 using rx7. What rifle are you using this load in.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This would be for my Marlin 1895

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Starting load for a 330 grain bullet number 2 alloy, rx7-49gr...fps 1853 cup..16.700, max load 55..grains... fps..2096... cup..25.100. This load is for the marlin 1895 in 45-70.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Problem with the 45/70 and smokeless is getting proper burn in that big case not exceding the guns preassure limits. That Marlin is plenty strong but you still have to watch it. Light bullet like your 300 makes it more difficult to burn completly. Look for unburned powder, if so strong crimp can help.

I shoot Single shots in ASSRA and NRA competiton lots of 45/70's on the line. Out typical rifle is much weaker than your Marlin. We use mostly black powder but when using smokeless 4759 is the most popular powder by far. It was formulated to burn properly in large old blackpowder cases.

We rarely use a bullet lighter than 400 grs, most 500's. Our loads are intended to duplicate Black Powder velocitys with less trouble and mess for pratice shooting

45/70 lever guns were never intended to use those long heavy lead bullets and generaly loaded with 300's I do shoot gallery with a Trapdoor using a 330 gr cast lead bullet but have to load with fast pistol powder to get good results. Not something recomended due to the chance of double charging, however thats what most guys use when light bullets are required.

Boats

1 - 5 of 5 Posts