Smith And Wesson Forums banner
121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
. Just my opinion, but they are making this for the first time buyer that buys it, shoots a box thru it with their free range pass the day they buy it, and puts it away in a drawer for eternity.
I agree with Rick on this one. Most people who have owned firearms for a while already have a certain caliber or calibers and a decent supply of ammo for those. If I were a first time buyer, I would be pretty attracted to the 30 super carry. But for use veteran owners, it's not really an option that fills any "gaps" per-say.

·
Registered
8 Posts
But, but, but..............

The mighty 30sc has the knock down power of a 460 ......WEATHERBY!

Will knock charging RINO's flat! 🦖 :LOL:
And will probably, like creepy Joe Biden says, blow the lungs right out of a man! Ha!

The weenie 9 is here now because lots of law officers can't handle anything more powerful. IF it is so great why didn't we adopt it in 1945.....77 years ago?.....Logic aside...Bigger always hit harder.
Funny. Every gun writer and tester known to man says it is the modern bullet technology that has improved the 9mm. Perhaps you missed reading that TON of reports.

I think the .30 Super Carry may very well be a good thing. However, I cannot figure out why they call it a .30. As others have mentioned it has a .312" bullet, which makes it a part of the .32 family. But whoever invents a cartridge gets to name it whatever they want.

I am a huge fan of the .32 H&R Mag. Never was a big 9mm fan but now I have three, including two new Shield's Plus. Check out my post "Shield Plus Accuracy" in the S&W Semi-Auto Pistols Forum.

·
Registered
M&P, CSX
176 Posts
I think the .30 Super Carry may very well be a good thing. However, I cannot figure out why they call it a .30. As others have mentioned it has a .312" bullet, which makes it a part of the .32 family. But whoever invents a cartridge gets to name it whatever they want.

I am a huge fan of the .32 H&R Mag. Never was a big 9mm fan but now I have three, including two new Shield's Plus. Check out my post "Shield Plus Accuracy" in the S&W Semi-Auto Pistols Forum.
32 Magnum already exists. Probably their attempt at avoiding confusion with existing cartridges. Like when someone asks for 9mm, but they have a 9x18 (Makarov) or 9x21 (9mm Italian) not a standard 9x19 Parabellum. Or when I ask for .45 ammo at the gun counter and there's that awkward pause before I specify ACP because I've forgotten 45 GAP, 45 Super, and 45 Colt exist.

·
Registered
8 Posts
32 Magnum already exists. Probably their attempt at avoiding confusion with existing cartridges. Like when someone asks for 9mm, but they have a 9x18 (Makarov) or 9x21 (9mm Italian) not a standard 9x19 Parabellum. Or when I ask for .45 ammo at the gun counter and there's that awkward pause before I specify ACP because I've forgotten 45 GAP, 45 Super, and 45 Colt exist.
Ha, yeah. But I don't think it would be a problem and .32 Super Carry would be a much more appropriate moniker.

As for ammo confusion, there is already a line of .32s (32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 Long Colt, 32 NAA, 32 ACP, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, and more). No more difficult than the various .45s.

But, again, the designer/inventor can choose whatever name he/she likes for a new cartridge.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I'd be tempted to buy one, if one turns up on the used side of the room. I tend to be the guy who says, "Let me take that and try it out." If I don't like it, I sell it and move on. It's just a gun.

Maybe that's why I'm on wife number 3. ;)
I guess I sort of indicated I wouldn't be too interested in it, BUT...If Walther could make a PPK/S in the 30 Super, I might be (I have no idea if such a thing is ever possible with the blowback action). I've become a fan of the PPK/S recently and would like to have one in 32 ACP, but (1) can't find a PPK/S in 32 ACP at my LGS, and (2) can't find 32 ACP ammo anyway. Again, don't bother to tell me there are thousands of them on Gunbroker, or some other place. If it doesn't walk into Ali-Babba's House O Guns, I don't bother. They had a PP in 32, with box and papers, a few weeks ago that I should have jumped on. (Sigh)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I feel is an excellent option to have additional rounds in a small package that improves over the 380 and almost matches 9mm with great penetration. I carried a Sig 938 for years at 7+7 rounds with backup mag. I feel much better with 13 + 16 now carrying the Shield Plus. I'm hoping it catches on, am sure will have defense ammo available for a long time and I reload so practice ammo isn't a problem. BTW I did the 40 yard drill and got 19 out of 20 rounds in the silhouette. 10 supported and 10 off hand. No stress level but a capable flat shooting round.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What plate did you use, if any? I have the 507k, but don’t want to file the rear lugs down.
What I used:
C&H Plate for Holoson..
It's super thin... I don't think filing down the lugs is worth it, unless you want to save $50.

I actually bought mine from "Aim Surplus". I knew nothing about them, but at the time C&H Precision was out of their own part. I found the C&H Precision plate at Aim Surplus and decided to go with them to get it. Before it came, it was back in stock at C&H.

Also an option, the DPP Titanium plate for the Shield Plus and Holoson 407. Only reason I didn't try this was availability. Its like $22.

Other DPP Titanium plates..
Amazon.com: Dpp Titanium: Smith & Wesson

·
Registered
24 Posts
What I used:
C&H Plate for Holoson..
It's super thin... I don't think filing down the lugs is worth it, unless you want to save $50.

I actually bought mine from "Aim Surplus". I knew nothing about them, but at the time C&H Precision was out of their own part. I found the C&H Precision plate at Aim Surplus and decided to go with them to get it. Before it came, it was back in stock at C&H.

Also an option, the DPP Titanium plate for the Shield Plus and Holoson 407. Only reason I didn't try this was availability. Its like $22.

Other DPP Titanium plates..
Amazon.com: Dpp Titanium: Smith & Wesson
My 30sc Shield Plus didn’t have the rear lugs when I removed the cover plate, but my 9mm Shield Plus did, so that was strange. The 507k works for my 30sc but not for my 9mm without an adapter plate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Probably a nice round, but so was the 32H&R, and then so was the 327 Fed Mag. I chased that rabbit for a long time.
Have 3 revolvers that I really like, but the ammunition support is zilch! Why would I chase another rabbit with no better reason to expect ammunition support than when I was chasing the 32 caliber rabbits.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts