Smith And Wesson Forums banner
81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
M&P, CSX
176 Posts
The weenie 9 is here now because lots of law officers can't handle anything more powerful. IF it is so great why didn't we adopt it in 1945.....77 years ago?.....Logic aside...Bigger always hit harder.
Maybe instead of worrying about why it wasn't adopted in 1945, you should take into consideration the ballistic advancements made in the last 87 years that have made the 9mm a competent round.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The weenie 9 is here now because lots of law officers can't handle anything more powerful. IF it is so great why didn't we adopt it in 1945.....77 years ago?.....Logic aside...Bigger always hit harder.
I’m retired from that job. Been in 2 shootings and was a homicide detective for almost 9yrs. How many gun murders have you worked and how many times have you actually shot a person with your gun? I hit a murderer in the chest with a 40 while the other cops hit him with 9’s and 45’s. Total hits was eleven, but the autopsy report didn’t indicate calibers on the dead turd.

For every body, at least 10 gunshot victims survived, so handgun rounds of all calibers are not very good at killing, unless you hit the vitals. I’ve had bodies from 22, 25, 380, 9mm, 40, 45, and 44. I’ve never worked a survivor from an ar-15 or Ak-47 shooting.

I’m not concerned about an HST 30sc not being able to kill the person who’s trying to kill me. I’ll carry 17 of them in the Shield plus and not worry one bit. I’ll also buy a Hellcat, Sig 365x, or 43x in 30sc when they release, and I’m assuming they will.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Blue Trigger Air gun Revolver Rectangle

Picked mine up last night. I'm still on the fence about not going 9mm and worried that 30 SC will not catch on. I think the good bit is, that a firearm manufacturer is not the one pushing the cartridge, but rather a very large ammunition manufacturer. That helps. I'm sure we will start seeing more firearms chambered in 30 SC, since minimal changes are needed.

To me round capacity is important and the 30 SC ballistics are good enough, especially since I switch between a Glock 26 (9mm) and Glock 42 (380).

I always would try to carry a spare mag, but would typically leave it in the car or at home. 16+1 is amazing in such a small pistol.

I really like how the cartridge was designed for concealed carry pistols, versus an old military round 9x19. As an engineer, it is nice not having to work around a specific caliber to achieve your goals, like round capacity.

People were complaining on Reddit at me for buying one, but I may or may not own a ton of pistols, most 9mm.

We should be celebrating new calibers, models and new shooters. Not being gate keeping boomers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
View attachment 556121

Picked mine up last night. I'm still on the fence about not going 9mm and worried that 30 SC will not catch on. I think the good bit is, that a firearm manufacturer is not the one pushing the cartridge, but rather a very large ammunition manufacturer. That helps. I'm sure we will start seeing more firearms chambered in 30 SC, since minimal changes are needed.

To me round capacity is important and the 30 SC ballistics are good enough, especially since I switch between a Glock 26 (9mm) and Glock 42 (380).

I always would try to carry a spare mag, but would typically leave it in the car or at home. 16+1 is amazing in such a small pistol.

I really like how the cartridge was designed for concealed carry pistols, versus an old military round 9x19. As an engineer, it is nice not having to work around a specific caliber to achieve your goals, like round capacity.

People were complaining on Reddit at me for buying one, but I may or may not own a ton of pistols, most 9mm.

We should be celebrating new calibers, models and new shooters. Not being gate keeping boomers.
Like you stated, if big name companies are making Gold Dot, HST, and Critical Defense 30sc rounds, then I’m less worried about it not catching on. If S&W can make a 16+1 Shield plus, then the engineers at Glock, Sig, Springfield, Ruger, Taurus etc, can also figure out a way to add 3 rounds of 30sc to all their stack and a half models.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Maybe instead of worrying about why it wasn't adopted in 1945, you should take into consideration the ballistic advancements made in the last 87 years that have made the 9mm a competent round.
Anything done to the little 9 can also be done to the bigger calibers(and has)..........And now stupid bidden says a 9mm will blow a lung clean out of your body.

·
Registered
97 Posts
At 50, I've only recently gotten a 9mm! Never cared for the cartridge, as it has pretty much sucked horribly for 100 years... finally bullets are available that make it work ok. So, I could maybe bring myself to carry a 9mm.... but a ".30 Super Carry"?? ... the name alone just sounds way too hipster for me. :p

·
Banned
2,291 Posts
Speaking of .30 Super Carry, I was in Cabela's on Sunday and found my first box of .30 Super Carry. They only had one box of 30 self-defense rounds and it was $35.00 plus tax. Not cheap, but probably no more than similar self-defense 9mm rounds. The difference is that there was a very healthy supply of 9mm range ammo (at under 40¢/round) and no range ammo at all in .30 Super Carry.

Practicing with .30 Super Carry gonna be a very costly endeavor. :unsure:

EDIT (6/22/22): I see that .30 Super Carry range ammo is available online at under 50¢/round and is even available in cases of 500... much cheaper than my .32 S&W Long! :unsure:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm still in my wish mode for the M&P Bodyguard 380 to be redesigned to chamber 30 Super Carry. In that small of a package, 30 SC would be the perfect bridge gap between 380 and 9.

I reload, so it wouldnt be cost prohibitive. I would only need to purchase a couple hundred rounds of factory defensive ammo to test function and conceal carry. For practice, I could use reloads.

I think it's wishful thinking though, probably not enough interest for S&W to redesign the Bodyguard and be profitable for them.

·
Registered
M&P, CSX
176 Posts
Speaking of .30 Super Carry, I was in Cabela's on Sunday and found my first box of .30 Super Carry. They only had one box of 30 self-defense rounds and it was $35.00 plus tax. Not cheap, but probably no more than similar self-defense 9mm rounds. The difference is that there was a very healthy supply of 9mm range ammo (at under 40¢/round) and no range ammo at all in .30 Super Carry.

Practicing with .30 Super Carry gonna be a very costly endeavor. :unsure:
At this point I'm seriously considering obtaining a .22 LR pistol for shooting practice. Shooting almost anything else is a costly endeavor lately.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Building Architecture Wood Floor Flooring

I really enjoyed shooting the Shield Plus in 30 SC. I like it as much as a Glock 19. It shoot very well.

It feels like a larger pistol than it really is, in a good way.

Great frame, great trigger. Recoil and muzzle flip is "normal" nothing extreme. The sights are excellent. I put 200 rounds of Blazer Brass through it with zero hiccups.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've put about 200 rounds through my Shield Plus 30SC now, and I am ready to sell my Shield Plus 9mm in favor of the 30SC. With an inexpensive Crimson Trace optic on it, I'm shooting 2" groups at 7 yards versus my typical 4+" groups with the iron-sighted Shield Plus 9mm (yes, I am that good :) ). Regarding the availability of 30SC ammo, I've ordered 400 rounds now via ammoseek with no issues on delivery. Granted, the ammo is pricey compared to 9mm, but it is on par with .380 (at least for range ammo). I'm a huge fan at this point. I'm not going to argue the 9mm vs. 45 ACP thing - I also own a Dan Wesson 1911 in 45, and I love it - it makes great big holes. In addition, my Glock 23 is an awesome gun! So, just my two cents... I hope the 30SC takes off in the next few years with more gun manufacturers releasing models for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've put about 200 rounds through my Shield Plus 30SC now, and I am ready to sell my Shield Plus 9mm in favor of the 30SC. With an inexpensive Crimson Trace optic on it, I'm shooting 2" groups at 7 yards versus my typical 4+" groups with the iron-sighted Shield Plus 9mm (yes, I am that good :) ). Regarding the availability of 30SC ammo, I've ordered 400 rounds now via ammoseek with no issues on delivery. Granted, the ammo is pricey compared to 9mm, but it is on par with .380 (at least for range ammo). I'm a huge fan at this point. I'm not going to argue the 9mm vs. 45 ACP thing - I also own a Dan Wesson 1911 in 45, and I love it - it makes great big holes. In addition, my Glock 23 is an awesome gun! So, just my two cents... I hope the 30SC takes off in the next few years with more gun manufacturers releasing models for it.
Same experience. No issue getting ammo, it is a little more pricey, but this is my summer carry gun. I am not one of those guys that puts thousands of rounds through my carry gun. Every time I go to the range, I'll put a magazine or two through it to make sure I still am accurate.

EDIT: I just ordered a Vortex Viper for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I hate to be a fan boy, but I shot my Shield Plus 30SC today again, and it is just great! Bottom line - about the same as the 9mm in terms of recoil and ability to get back on target, but with 13 rounds in the flush-mount mag and 16 in the extended mag... I mean, come on! I think this new cartridge is going to catch on, maybe.

·
Super Moderator
37,501 Posts
Well, I hate to be a fan boy, but I shot my Shield Plus 30SC today again, and it is just great! Bottom line - about the same as the 9mm in terms of recoil and ability to get back on target, but with 13 rounds in the flush-mount mag and 16 in the extended mag... I mean, come on! I think this new cartridge is going to catch on, maybe.
That is the only thing that matters, you having what you want and liking what you have!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try finding 327 Fed Mag……I want an LCR in it but there is zero ammo, I like this round but 10+ or 13+ in my shield plus is plenty and can find 9mm everywhere, no make a shield plus in a 15rd 22WMR and I will try it

81 - 100 of 139 Posts