Smith And Wesson Forums banner
61 - 80 of 148 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
I feel like a "babe in the woods" here. :ROFLMAO: You are at least a light year ahead of me! :whistle: I think I better go do some serious research before jumping at the first attractive deal that comes along. Thank you for your help! (y)
My pleasure. And yes there is quite a bit to get familiar with before hopping straight in. Biggest issue once you get one will be to avoid "fishing" for the dot.
Right now I'm looking into an optic mount for a revolver. I know there are a few for some Smith models. But those are mainly for the models with adjustable rear sights. I'm looking for one that will work with an integrated rear without any additional machining other than tapping a couple mounting holes. And I want to stick with either an RMR pattern or Aimpoint ACRO (closed emitter)

· Banned
2,291 Posts
My pleasure. And yes there is quite a bit to get familiar with before hopping straight in. Biggest issue once you get one will be to avoid "fishing" for the dot.
Right now I'm looking into an optic mount for a revolver. I know there are a few for some Smith models. But those are mainly for the models with adjustable rear sights. I'm looking for one that will work with an integrated rear without any additional machining other than tapping a couple mounting holes. And I want to stick with either an RMR pattern or Aimpoint ACRO (closed emitter)
Stopped at one of my favorite shops today to get more of an education. Didn't get very far. :ROFLMAO: The owner says I should consider a Canik TP9-series w/optic for my purposes, but that's not in the cards. Despite its wild popularity in certain circles, I've never been impressed. :unsure:

· Registered
11 Posts
Stopped at one of my favorite shops today to get more of an education. Didn't get very far. :ROFLMAO: The owner says I should consider a Canik TP9-series w/optic for my purposes, but that's not in the cards. Despite its wild popularity in certain circles, I've never been impressed. :unsure:
Not a bad gun. Basically a Turkish made Walther P99/PPQ. But the optics plates are tall. Personally I can't stand when the optic sits too high up. Makes the irons useless even with taller co-witness sights. Plus with several of the Canik models you lose your rear sight when you add an optic.

You could pick up a used non-optics ready M&P and then get slide cut for whatever optic pattern you want. Optics milling typically runs about $125 to $175. Downside is once you choose that pattern you're stuck with it. It's what I did with one of my 10mm Witness Tanfos. I went with the RMR pattern. Currently its wearing a Swampfox Justice with the stainless steel protector. (protects the lens from hard impacts) Decent optic, generous size window. Good battery life and reasonable price for dependable daily carry dot sight. I also have the same optic on a couple of my other carry guns.

· Banned
2,291 Posts
Not a bad gun. Basically a Turkish made Walther P99/PPQ. But the optics plates are tall. Personally I can't stand when the optic sits too high up. Makes the irons useless even with taller co-witness sights. Plus with several of the Canik models you lose your rear sight when you add an optic.

You could pick up a used non-optics ready M&P and then get slide cut for whatever optic pattern you want. Optics milling typically runs about $125 to $175. Downside is once you choose that pattern you're stuck with it. It's what I did with one of my 10mm Witness Tanfos. I went with the RMR pattern. Currently its wearing a Swampfox Justice with the stainless steel protector. (protects the lens from hard impacts) Decent optic, generous size window. Good battery life and reasonable price for dependable daily carry dot sight. I also have the same optic on a couple of my other carry guns.
Once again, you prove that you are a couple light years ahead of me on this. :ROFLMAO: I really don't have a clue what I want and I can't even try any to help figure out what I want. o_O All I know is that an old man with this hobby and a desire to keep up with technology and trends should have at least one optic-equipped pistol in the armory. (y)

Like many things in life, there is a story about why I am so down on the Canik TP9 pistols. The truth is that I thought they were a semi-decent, kind-of-okay DIRT CHEAP pistol back in the day. Key words: DIRT CHEAP. But once they started to explode in cost, I was turned off on them forever. I had even told my closest dealer that I would take one early on just to experiment with it, but by the time he got the next load in they had gone up in price 33%. :oops: No way José!!! o_O For that kind of money I could have bought a premium brand gun. :unsure: Then, they started messing with cosmetics and they raised the price again! :oops::oops::oops: Now, it was just obscene to pay that kind of money for a DIRT CHEAP gun. :ROFLMAO:

But the other thing is that I never warmed up to the TP9's trigger. That trigger that other people thought was awesome and amazing ("equal to or better than a Glock" they kept saying) was totally unimpressive to me. In fact, I couldn't understand all the praise no matter how many times I tried it. (n)

So to buy one now (just for an optic) would be pretty weird. :ROFLMAO: I have to come up with something better than that! :giggle:

· Registered
11 Posts
Once again, you prove that you are a couple light years ahead of me on this. :ROFLMAO: I really don't have a clue what I want and I can't even try any to help figure out what I want. o_O All I know is that an old man with this hobby and a desire to keep up with technology and trends should have at least one optic-equipped pistol in the armory. (y)

Like many things in life, there is a story about why I am so down on the Canik TP9 pistols. The truth is that I thought they were a semi-decent, kind-of-okay DIRT CHEAP pistol back in the day. Key words: DIRT CHEAP. But once they started to explode in cost, I was turned off on them forever. I had even told my closest dealer that I would take one early on just to experiment with it, but by the time he got the next load in they had gone up in price 33%. :oops: No way José!!! o_O For that kind of money I could have bought a premium brand gun. :unsure: Then, they started messing with cosmetics and they raised the price again! :oops::oops::oops: Now, it was just obscene to pay that kind of money for a DIRT CHEAP gun. :ROFLMAO:

But the other thing is that I never warmed up to the TP9's trigger. That trigger that other people thought was awesome and amazing ("equal to or better than a Glock" they kept saying) was totally unimpressive to me. In fact, I couldn't understand all the praise no matter how many times I tried it. (n)

So to buy one now (just for an optic) would be pretty weird. :ROFLMAO: I have to come up with something better than that! :giggle:
Depends on what Canik you are talking about. The old Canik 55 had a pretty crappy trigger. I still have two of them. By the time you got to the 3rd and 4th Gen when it became just Canik (a little prior to Canik USA getting formed) the trigger had improved greatly. And you're right the price now is ridiculous for how inexpensive a gun it really is. But in all fairness a Glock is an inexpensive gun as well. Yet they go for as much as they do. I bowed out on Canik because they're being run by Century Arms. Won't look them again till they are no longer in the picture. I can't stand that company. The things they do to their guns, the shortcuts they take. The QC. And of course I loathe their CS.

If you're looking for a low cost optic ready pistol that doesn't use mounting plates you might want to consider the PSA Dagger. it is for all intent and purposes a gen 3 Glock 19. Their complete pistols come in either an RMR optics pattern cut or the Vortex Venom/Burris Fastfire/Doctor-Noblex pattern. I picked one up a couple of months ago. Think I paid $318 + FFL transfer fee, shipping was free at that time. I've since swapped the barrel out to a longer threaded barrel. Added TruGlo suppressor height night sights. The optic is a Swampfox Justice with green dot. The Dagger is an option if you're just wanting something low budget to get into optics with.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Not looking to sway you just throwing out an option.

· Banned
2,291 Posts
Depends on what Canik you are talking about. The old Canik 55 had a pretty crappy trigger. I still have two of them. By the time you got to the 3rd and 4th Gen when it became just Canik (a little prior to Canik USA getting formed) the trigger had improved greatly. And you're right the price now is ridiculous for how inexpensive a gun it really is. But in all fairness a Glock is an inexpensive gun as well. Yet they go for as much as they do. I bowed out on Canik because they're being run by Century Arms. Won't look them again till they are no longer in the picture. I can't stand that company. The things they do to their guns, the shortcuts they take. The QC. And of course I loathe their CS.

If you're looking for a low cost optic ready pistol that doesn't use mounting plates you might want to consider the PSA Dagger. it is for all intent and purposes a gen 3 Glock 19. Their complete pistols come in either an RMR optics pattern cut or the Vortex Venom/Burris Fastfire/Doctor-Noblex pattern. I picked one up a couple of months ago. Think I paid $318 + FFL transfer fee, shipping was free at that time. I've since swapped the barrel out to a longer threaded barrel. Added TruGlo suppressor height night sights. The optic is a Swampfox Justice with green dot. The Dagger is an option if you're just wanting something low budget to get into optics with.
View attachment 553899

Not looking to sway you just throwing out an option.
I should clarify that I am not praising (or bashing) Glock triggers. They are what they are... i.e., okay for a plastic striker-fired pistol. It was the fanboys of the Canik TP9 that described the TP9's trigger as "equal to or better than a Glock." That was supposed to be a big compliment I guess for the cheaper Canik.

PSA will not ship anything to Massachusetts... not even a hat... and not even to a Massachusetts FFL for resale out of state. They hate Massachusetts and our crazy anti-2A AG lady with a passion and I guess I can't blame them. :ROFLMAO:

I'm going to continue my research here. I'm now wondering if one of the somewhat local indoor ranges has an optic-equipped plastic pistol or two in their rental fleet that I could try. :unsure: I may be barking up the wrong tree here. Better if I can determine it before buying instead of after. (y)

· Registered
24 Posts
Just picked it up today. I'm not concerned about the caliber catching on when HST, Gold Dot, and Critical Defense bullets are being made for it. I bought it like a lot of other people will do, just because I can. It wouldn't be the 1st gun I've bought that I didn't need, yet here it is.

I'm actually looking forward to some of the other companies releasing their versions of 30sc, like the 365X,XL, Hellcat, CR920, 43x, etc.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

· Registered
5 Posts
Just picked it up today. I'm not concerned about the caliber catching on when HST, Gold Dot, and Critical Defense bullets are being made for it. I bought it like a lot of other people will do, just because I can. It wouldn't be the 1st gun I've bought that I didn't need, yet here it is.

I'm actually looking forward to some of the other companies releasing their versions of 30sc, like the 365X,XL, Hellcat, CR920, 43x, etc.

View attachment 554063
I'll be picking up my Shield Plus 30sc this week. I already own the Shield Plus 9mm, and I like it a lot, so I hope the 30sc version performs as well for me. I bought it for several reasons:
1. After watching Ian McCollum's piece on the cartridge and the Shield Plus 30sc, I got really intrigued about the cartridge itself.
2. I own 7 pistols, and only one has a red dot optic (my Ruger 22/45 plinker), and none of them came "optic ready" with a slide cut. So, I really wanted a pistol with the slide cut optic mount.
3. I like the idea of having 2-3 more rounds in the same size grip/magazine footprint.
4. I am an incurable collector! I have a .22, a .380, two 9mm, a .40 S&W, a 1911 in .45 and a .357 magnum Colt single-action replica. I thought I had just about all the pistol calibers out there, but when the 30sc came out - oh crap, here I go again!

Will the 30sc be viable in the future? I dunno... But I am anxious to try it out side by side with my Shield Plus 9mm.

· Registered
24 Posts
I'll be picking up my Shield Plus 30sc this week. I already own the Shield Plus 9mm, and I like it a lot, so I hope the 30sc version performs as well for me. I bought it for several reasons:
1. After watching Ian McCollum's piece on the cartridge and the Shield Plus 30sc, I got really intrigued about the cartridge itself.
2. I own 7 pistols, and only one has a red dot optic (my Ruger 22/45 plinker), and none of them came "optic ready" with a slide cut. So, I really wanted a pistol with the slide cut optic mount.
3. I like the idea of having 2-3 more rounds in the same size grip/magazine footprint.
4. I am an incurable collector! I have a .22, a .380, two 9mm, a .40 S&W, a 1911 in .45 and a .357 magnum Colt single-action replica. I thought I had just about all the pistol calibers out there, but when the 30sc came out - oh crap, here I go again!

Will the 30sc be viable in the future? I dunno... But I am anxious to try it out side by side with my Shield Plus 9mm.
Same as you since I already had the 9mm Shield plus. I expect it to have less recoil than the 9mm and it having 3 more rounds is only a positive in my opinion. If S&W can get 3 more in their Shield plus, how many can Glock add to the 43x, Springfield add to the Hellcat, Sig add to the 365x, Ruger add to the Max9, Shadow Systems add to the CR920, Taurus add to the GX4, etc?

The current market is dominated by the above stack and a half concealed carry options, and capacity is the selling point with this market. Why carry a Glock19 when you can carry a Hellcat with 15rd magazines when it's smaller and lighter? The 30sc is a new round but so far it's showing itself to be just as effective as the 9mm rounds when it comes to penetration and expansion, at least with the HST 30sc.

I'd buy a 30sc Glock43x with 13rd magazines, or a 30sc Sig 365x with 15rd magazines. I don't see the other companies not making 30sc versions of their guns to match Smith and Wesson.

· Registered
1,827 Posts

· Registered
M&P, CSX
201 Posts
Some interesting observations on gunfights, especially #17.

It says most gunfights are over in less than four shots fired and I assume that means by both parties.
It's an interesting metric, but some things to consider:

A lot of those statistics were taken from shootings in the 80s and early 90s. A not insignificant number of people were still carrying 5 and 6 shot revolvers or single stack semi-autos. So it begs the question whether or not that number would go up with modern data from weapons with double stack mags.

And perhaps more important - and average is just that, and outliers do exist. I mean if the stats I've seen on defensive gun use hold up to scrutiny most defensive use of a firearm will resolve an issue without a shot being fired. But there's always the chance a fight will last longer than 4 shots, what actually happens in the real world does not have to comport to the confines laid out by a study.

Last, I have not yet read a report from anyone that's walked away from a gun fight saying, "Man...I really wish I hadn't brought so much ammo..."

· Registered
5 Posts
Same as you since I already had the 9mm Shield plus. I expect it to have less recoil than the 9mm and it having 3 more rounds is only a positive in my opinion. If S&W can get 3 more in their Shield plus, how many can Glock add to the 43x, Springfield add to the Hellcat, Sig add to the 365x, Ruger add to the Max9, Shadow Systems add to the CR920, Taurus add to the GX4, etc?

The current market is dominated by the above stack and a half concealed carry options, and capacity is the selling point with this market. Why carry a Glock19 when you can carry a Hellcat with 15rd magazines when it's smaller and lighter? The 30sc is a new round but so far it's showing itself to be just as effective as the 9mm rounds when it comes to penetration and expansion, at least with the HST 30sc.

I'd buy a 30sc Glock43x with 13rd magazines, or a 30sc Sig 365x with 15rd magazines. I don't see the other companies not making 30sc versions of their guns to match Smith and Wesson.
I had a chance to put 80 rounds through my Shield Plus 30sc this weekend. I spent the first 20 rounds zeroing in the Crimson Trace red dot at 10 yards, then shot 60 rounds at 7 yards with an average group radius of 0.9” and average group size of less than 3” (there were 4-5 flyers that were totally my fault). First impressions:
  • Recoil and feel - Feels just like my Shield Plus 9mm, except with noticeably brighter muzzle flash. Recoil felt the same to me, if not a little more controllable than the 9mm
  • Accuracy - IMHO the fast muzzle velocity combined with smaller bullet diameter seems to result in a flatter trajectory and more predictable path (I know, it was only 7 yards, but…)
  • Reliability - 100% no issues whatsoever. I used both mags, the 13 and 16 round.
  • Overall impressions - the 30sc could easily replace my 9mm. Mostly because my 9mm Shield Plus is NOT the performance center model with slide-cut for red dot, so that alone sways me a lot. Very pleased with it. Next time I shoot it, I’ll take it out to 10 and 15 yards to see how it does…

· Premium Member
2,729 Posts
I'd be tempted to buy one, if one turns up on the used side of the room. I tend to be the guy who says, "Let me take that and try it out." If I don't like it, I sell it and move on. It's just a gun.

Maybe that's why I'm on wife number 3. ;)

· Registered
5,567 Posts
Re: .30 SC. An ideal hot rod cartridge for those who CC. If it were the days when revolvers were the norm, it'd be a real hot item. Especially in a J-frame S&W, it would first class. If sold today in a nice J-frame ... I'd buy it, buy some ammo and not look back. Just cannot warm up to the current CC type revolvers by Ruger, Kimber, etc. If I could find a nice little .22 J-frame and get it converted to .30 SC, that'd be a go for me. Only problem it, I just don't have the available cash and have no idea who I could even contact for such work. Sincerely. bruce.

· Registered
24 Posts
30 Not so super is a flash in the pan and will be dead within 2 years..........99% of the people will not go with a weenie diameter cc cartridge no matter the velocity......Look at history.
Like the weenie 9mm vs 45acp argument for how many years? With your logic, nobody would carry anything other than a 45.

30sc HST doesn’t appear any less effective than 9mm HST at expansion or penetration.

If Glock and the other companies release 30sc versions, you’ll end buying one.

· Registered
3,583 Posts
Like the weenie 9mm vs 45acp argument for how many years? With your logic, nobody would carry anything other than a 45.

30sc HST doesn’t appear any less effective than 9mm HST at expansion or penetration.

If Glock and the other companies release 30sc versions, you’ll end buying one.
The weenie 9 is here now because lots of law officers can't handle anything more powerful. IF it is so great why didn't we adopt it in 1945.....77 years ago?.....Logic aside...Bigger always hit harder.

61 - 80 of 148 Posts