Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
The Shield plus 30sc with 16+1 rounds of HST will be more formidable than your current Shield plus loaded with 13+1 of 9mm 147gr HST. The energy of the 30sc HST is higher than the 147gr HST, but not as high as the 124gr HST or obviously the +p HST. Why would any of you think an HST in 30sc wouldn't get the job done when all the videos so far show the 30sc HST to expand and penetrate no differently than your current 9mm HST's. No surgeon or medical examiner will notice the difference between a wound from a 30sc HST or a 9mm HST.

If your argument is "it expands less", then why are any of us carrying a 9mm when the 40 and 45's expand more than any 9mm? Capacity is a major selling point, and nobody would dispute 3 extra rounds in the EXACT SAME SIZE GUN wouldn't persuade newer shooters. Not everybody is a gun person and we need newer shooters and buyers to continue building up the community, because we all know the anti gun people will keep working to destroy the 2nd amendment.

With the Shield+ 30sc now released and starting to trickle in to stores, I'm definitely picking one up to add to my 9mm Shield+. Why complain about having an extra gun when 2 guns is better than 1 gun?

· Registered
24 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But you may end up with a caliber that is DOA, if you get a Super .30 gun.
A big company like S&W releasing their Shield+ in 30sc is a generally a signal of acceptance. Any decent sales and Springfield, Sig, Glock, Ruger, Shadow Systems, Taurus etc will jump in with their stack and a half competitors. If Smith can get 3 more rounds into their Shield+, then all the others have nothing to lose since it seems to just be a barrel, extractor, and magazine change. Critical Defense 30sc ammo was also just announced, so if the premium self defense rounds are already on board, then it's a good sign. I've already seen the HST rounds at my local gun store and they were priced exactly the same as my regular 9mm HST rounds I carry.

· Registered
24 Posts
Just picked it up today. I'm not concerned about the caliber catching on when HST, Gold Dot, and Critical Defense bullets are being made for it. I bought it like a lot of other people will do, just because I can. It wouldn't be the 1st gun I've bought that I didn't need, yet here it is.

I'm actually looking forward to some of the other companies releasing their versions of 30sc, like the 365X,XL, Hellcat, CR920, 43x, etc.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

· Registered
24 Posts
I'll be picking up my Shield Plus 30sc this week. I already own the Shield Plus 9mm, and I like it a lot, so I hope the 30sc version performs as well for me. I bought it for several reasons:
1. After watching Ian McCollum's piece on the cartridge and the Shield Plus 30sc, I got really intrigued about the cartridge itself.
2. I own 7 pistols, and only one has a red dot optic (my Ruger 22/45 plinker), and none of them came "optic ready" with a slide cut. So, I really wanted a pistol with the slide cut optic mount.
3. I like the idea of having 2-3 more rounds in the same size grip/magazine footprint.
4. I am an incurable collector! I have a .22, a .380, two 9mm, a .40 S&W, a 1911 in .45 and a .357 magnum Colt single-action replica. I thought I had just about all the pistol calibers out there, but when the 30sc came out - oh crap, here I go again!

Will the 30sc be viable in the future? I dunno... But I am anxious to try it out side by side with my Shield Plus 9mm.
Same as you since I already had the 9mm Shield plus. I expect it to have less recoil than the 9mm and it having 3 more rounds is only a positive in my opinion. If S&W can get 3 more in their Shield plus, how many can Glock add to the 43x, Springfield add to the Hellcat, Sig add to the 365x, Ruger add to the Max9, Shadow Systems add to the CR920, Taurus add to the GX4, etc?

The current market is dominated by the above stack and a half concealed carry options, and capacity is the selling point with this market. Why carry a Glock19 when you can carry a Hellcat with 15rd magazines when it's smaller and lighter? The 30sc is a new round but so far it's showing itself to be just as effective as the 9mm rounds when it comes to penetration and expansion, at least with the HST 30sc.

I'd buy a 30sc Glock43x with 13rd magazines, or a 30sc Sig 365x with 15rd magazines. I don't see the other companies not making 30sc versions of their guns to match Smith and Wesson.

· Registered
24 Posts
30 Not so super is a flash in the pan and will be dead within 2 years..........99% of the people will not go with a weenie diameter cc cartridge no matter the velocity......Look at history.
Like the weenie 9mm vs 45acp argument for how many years? With your logic, nobody would carry anything other than a 45.

30sc HST doesn’t appear any less effective than 9mm HST at expansion or penetration.

If Glock and the other companies release 30sc versions, you’ll end buying one.

· Registered
24 Posts
The weenie 9 is here now because lots of law officers can't handle anything more powerful. IF it is so great why didn't we adopt it in 1945.....77 years ago?.....Logic aside...Bigger always hit harder.
I’m retired from that job. Been in 2 shootings and was a homicide detective for almost 9yrs. How many gun murders have you worked and how many times have you actually shot a person with your gun? I hit a murderer in the chest with a 40 while the other cops hit him with 9’s and 45’s. Total hits was eleven, but the autopsy report didn’t indicate calibers on the dead turd.

For every body, at least 10 gunshot victims survived, so handgun rounds of all calibers are not very good at killing, unless you hit the vitals. I’ve had bodies from 22, 25, 380, 9mm, 40, 45, and 44. I’ve never worked a survivor from an ar-15 or Ak-47 shooting.

I’m not concerned about an HST 30sc not being able to kill the person who’s trying to kill me. I’ll carry 17 of them in the Shield plus and not worry one bit. I’ll also buy a Hellcat, Sig 365x, or 43x in 30sc when they release, and I’m assuming they will.

· Registered
24 Posts
View attachment 556121

Picked mine up last night. I'm still on the fence about not going 9mm and worried that 30 SC will not catch on. I think the good bit is, that a firearm manufacturer is not the one pushing the cartridge, but rather a very large ammunition manufacturer. That helps. I'm sure we will start seeing more firearms chambered in 30 SC, since minimal changes are needed.

To me round capacity is important and the 30 SC ballistics are good enough, especially since I switch between a Glock 26 (9mm) and Glock 42 (380).

I always would try to carry a spare mag, but would typically leave it in the car or at home. 16+1 is amazing in such a small pistol.

I really like how the cartridge was designed for concealed carry pistols, versus an old military round 9x19. As an engineer, it is nice not having to work around a specific caliber to achieve your goals, like round capacity.

People were complaining on Reddit at me for buying one, but I may or may not own a ton of pistols, most 9mm.

We should be celebrating new calibers, models and new shooters. Not being gate keeping boomers.
Like you stated, if big name companies are making Gold Dot, HST, and Critical Defense 30sc rounds, then I’m less worried about it not catching on. If S&W can make a 16+1 Shield plus, then the engineers at Glock, Sig, Springfield, Ruger, Taurus etc, can also figure out a way to add 3 rounds of 30sc to all their stack and a half models.

· Registered
24 Posts
Son, does your Daddy know you are playing on his computer?.......IF you study history .30 cal. defense guns fade like the sunset a short order.........Anybody can hide behind a keyboard a 1000 miles away and call people names.....Betcha you'd be nice face to face..........My opinion is as good as yours even though we differ.
Most people are like lemmings.....They jump on the band wagon of what's new without any research........History is your friend if you're smart enough to research.
Apparently you missed the post where I stated what I was, so I’m well past “son” phase. I’m also positive I’ve experienced more “gun violence” than you have.

· Registered
24 Posts
What I used:
C&H Plate for Holoson..
It's super thin... I don't think filing down the lugs is worth it, unless you want to save $50.

I actually bought mine from "Aim Surplus". I knew nothing about them, but at the time C&H Precision was out of their own part. I found the C&H Precision plate at Aim Surplus and decided to go with them to get it. Before it came, it was back in stock at C&H.

Also an option, the DPP Titanium plate for the Shield Plus and Holoson 407. Only reason I didn't try this was availability. Its like $22.

Other DPP Titanium plates..
Amazon.com: Dpp Titanium: Smith & Wesson
My 30sc Shield Plus didn’t have the rear lugs when I removed the cover plate, but my 9mm Shield Plus did, so that was strange. The 507k works for my 30sc but not for my 9mm without an adapter plate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts