Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
M&P, CSX
202 Posts
We're a tough crowd. Kahr hasn't innovated or put out new designs in years and the Kahrtalk website is full of "Why isn't Kahr making tiny double stack guns like everyone else?" Everywhere else is full of "Why are they innovating, we only want the same thing we've used for a hundred years!"
You're not wrong. Sometimes it's like the gun manufacturers can't win, even when they're giving people what they want. People like the punch of a 9mm, they like the higher capacity it offers. Gun manufacturers give us a round that has about the same punch and even higher capacity. "Garbage, give us more 9mm!"

If it comes out in a platform I like I'll consider it. It wouldn't hurt to add another option. I don't have interest in an EZ. But a Shield Plus or CSX would sell me on it.

· Registered
M&P, CSX
202 Posts
Cloan....

So you practice this? NICE. 10 mm is pretty rare.....actually anything other than 9 mm Parabellum is pretty rare. I only carry .38 SPL or .45 ACP and I keep my firearms clean as a whistle.

I own something like 2 dozen 9mm Para's but haven't carried one since 2012.
Typically I carry .40 or .45. I have 9mms, but if I'm carrying that chances are it's in a back up role.

.30 SC?

More like .32 ACP Magnum!

Yes, look at the specs... the bullet is a .312!

Which is a problem for me... as I seem to have developed a .32 obsession... Mauser 1914 .32 ACP, S&W 30-1 .32 S&W Long, Ruger SS .32 H&R, S&W 632 .327 Fed, S&W 1905 4th .32-20, Uberti 1849 .31 pocket.

Then the Henry .327 carbine, the Win 53 td .32-20, the Win 94 .32-40, & the Win 94 .32 spcl.

Good thing I do NOT like plastic-framed pistols, and that 1911 is WAY too pricy for my budget. (Yeah, that's the ticket... keep telling myself that, never weaken... darnit!)
That's exactly why it caught my eye. I was carousing the 32 ACP specifications a few months before this was announced and thinking to myself that if someone bumped up the bullet weight just a smidge, then added powder until it was travelling at 9mm speeds, it would probably actually make a decent round. I wouldn't call it a 32 magnum since it's not quite moving at 1450 FPS, but it's the update the cartridge has sorely needed to be viable outside of antiquated novelty guns.

· Registered
M&P, CSX
202 Posts
OK, but I still wouldn’t get it. When the .41 Action Express came out, it seemed like a good idea. Then the .40 S&W destroyed it.

It pays to wait a while, to see if the gun &caliber will make it, or just drift into obscurity.
On the flip side, if no one is willing to break from the herd and be an early adopter that pretty much relegates anything new to obscurity from day 1. Which may or may not be a bad thing. Just because something exists doesn't necessarily mean it's good and maybe obscurity is where it belongs. But for good things to be discovered someone has to be willing to take the plunge, put the thing through it's paces, and see if it's good bad or indifferent.

I think the round has potential. We'll see just how much potential it has. I'm happy with the pistols I have at the moment, but if I were to buy another an optic ready shield plus in 30 SC is a strong contender.

· Registered
M&P, CSX
202 Posts
Speaking of optic-ready in general, I'm about at a place where I've given up on my vintage S&W revolver goals and am ready to turn back to plastic wonder guns for a while... but this time: optic-ready plastic. I don't even have one optic-ready (or optic-equipped) pistol in my entire collection. :oops: That has to be fixed before Dementia Joe B outlaws everything. :confused:

For you optic fans, what would be the one 9mm optic-ready (or optic-equipped) plastic wonder gun that you'd buy if you were in my shoes? :unsure:

It doesn't have to be particularly small or concealable... just best suited for use with a pistol optic. (y)
Well, since you're here I'm assuming you like S&W. My preference is either an M&P or a Shield. If you want something you can carry, Shield. If you just want a fun range toy, it's hard to go wrong with an M&P.

· Registered
M&P, CSX
202 Posts
Well, best is subjective. We all have our biases. I've weighed in with mine based on my own ergonomic preferences and reliability standards. For what it's worth, I spent my first 10 years as a pistol owner carrying a 1911, and on most days that's still what I go to. Having ready access to plastic wonder guns hasn't changed that, we likes what we likes.

· Registered
M&P, CSX
202 Posts
Some interesting observations on gunfights, especially #17.

It says most gunfights are over in less than four shots fired and I assume that means by both parties.
It's an interesting metric, but some things to consider:

A lot of those statistics were taken from shootings in the 80s and early 90s. A not insignificant number of people were still carrying 5 and 6 shot revolvers or single stack semi-autos. So it begs the question whether or not that number would go up with modern data from weapons with double stack mags.

And perhaps more important - and average is just that, and outliers do exist. I mean if the stats I've seen on defensive gun use hold up to scrutiny most defensive use of a firearm will resolve an issue without a shot being fired. But there's always the chance a fight will last longer than 4 shots, what actually happens in the real world does not have to comport to the confines laid out by a study.

Last, I have not yet read a report from anyone that's walked away from a gun fight saying, "Man...I really wish I hadn't brought so much ammo..."

· Registered
M&P, CSX
202 Posts
The weenie 9 is here now because lots of law officers can't handle anything more powerful. IF it is so great why didn't we adopt it in 1945.....77 years ago?.....Logic aside...Bigger always hit harder.
Maybe instead of worrying about why it wasn't adopted in 1945, you should take into consideration the ballistic advancements made in the last 87 years that have made the 9mm a competent round.

· Registered
M&P, CSX
202 Posts
Speaking of .30 Super Carry, I was in Cabela's on Sunday and found my first box of .30 Super Carry. They only had one box of 30 self-defense rounds and it was $35.00 plus tax. Not cheap, but probably no more than similar self-defense 9mm rounds. The difference is that there was a very healthy supply of 9mm range ammo (at under 40¢/round) and no range ammo at all in .30 Super Carry.

Practicing with .30 Super Carry gonna be a very costly endeavor. :unsure:
At this point I'm seriously considering obtaining a .22 LR pistol for shooting practice. Shooting almost anything else is a costly endeavor lately.

· Registered
M&P, CSX
202 Posts
I think the .30 Super Carry may very well be a good thing. However, I cannot figure out why they call it a .30. As others have mentioned it has a .312" bullet, which makes it a part of the .32 family. But whoever invents a cartridge gets to name it whatever they want.

I am a huge fan of the .32 H&R Mag. Never was a big 9mm fan but now I have three, including two new Shield's Plus. Check out my post "Shield Plus Accuracy" in the S&W Semi-Auto Pistols Forum.
32 Magnum already exists. Probably their attempt at avoiding confusion with existing cartridges. Like when someone asks for 9mm, but they have a 9x18 (Makarov) or 9x21 (9mm Italian) not a standard 9x19 Parabellum. Or when I ask for .45 ammo at the gun counter and there's that awkward pause before I specify ACP because I've forgotten 45 GAP, 45 Super, and 45 Colt exist.

· Registered
M&P, CSX
202 Posts
I saw two 30 Super Carries at the LGS & if it weren't for ammo price & availability, I may have bought one or both...
One was a 30 Shield Plus the other was a 30 EZ
They had one box of Super Carry & it was $40 for 20 rounds WOW!! 100 Grain Federal HST
It's something to think about but the ammo price is ridiculous
That's the one reservation I've got with respect to it. A Shield Plus in 30 SC would probably be fine for it's purpose. But with ammo prices like that it's gonna be a hard sell.

I've also noticed LGS prices have not caught up with online prices either. I'm seeing Federal HST at MidwayUSA for $26.15 per box of 20, practice ammo $23.31 for 50 rounds. As much as I prefer supporting my local stores over buying online, especially with respect to things like ammo that I really don't want falling into the hands of a porch pirate, a %35 difference in price between what I see on the LGS shelf and what I can find online means it would be kinda crazy to buy at the LGS. And I don't quite understand why there's such a discrepancy between the 2.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts