Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of a 30-30 as a survival rifle? Gots too be plenty of 30-30 ammo out there. So a Winchester or a Marlin or both? Post yours with your thoughts. I was looking at a Winchester made 1953. Tempting.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
The .30-30 is just about ideal for a survival caliber/rifle. It offers sufficient power, range and portability. It is available, capable of downing any common game animal a survivalist might need to hunt as well as the larger game that might lumber into view. It offers excellent power in a easily carried rifle of moderate weight. The Marlin 336 can be easily sighted w/ aperture or scope sights, both of which are superior for field shooting. The Winchester can with a bit more effort be so configured. The Marlin offers side ejection which is helpful w/ a scope. I have a 336 Waffle Top Marlin that w/ common iron sights shoots 1.5 inch groups at 50 yds. fired from a kneeling position. Especially in heavily wooded areas, that kind of power and accuracy will handle anything at all that you encounter. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
Hey 36,

The 30-30 still accounts for a good many venison critters in Pa.

Out to 150yds (and a bit beyond) the 30-30 will take care of business. Venison, Mr. Ursine or a fellow with bad intent.

Factor ammo is a 170gr at 2300fps (YMMV) ??

Easy to load for, and can load cast 170gr bullets over 8 or 9gr of Unique for excellent close work on small game, even man or venison at 50yds. (170gr bullet at 1150fps .....and a rifle bullet has much better sectional density than a pistol bullet, the hard cast bullet will drill a 3/4" hole right thru a venison..) Low cost, low recoil & low report.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
A 30-30 Winnie was my second rifle. Still have it- that should say something.
it's also a good varminter with those saboted rounds. ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
30-30 is a real do it all rifle, and I place a high value on mine. Very versatile, and lots of fun to plink with, when loaded lightly with cast lead bullets, or light weight jacketed bullets. Marlin / Winchester... like Ford or Chevy, a subjective argument with no clear winner, as its personal choice.
The Winchester mentioned would be a great choice, and very cast bullet friendly, for times like this when even 30-30 is not on very many shelves.

Over the years, I have had several, and have settled on an old Marlin from the late 50's, as my favorite, with a Pre 64 Winchester a close second.
A bullet mold, a sizer, some gas checks, and a little Unique, Red Dot, Green Dot, Herco, 2400, and many others will produce a fun round that can be loaded up and down the velocity scale, for fun or business work.
I have also loaded cast lead bullets with 3031 and 4198 to higher velocities, with success. Not quite a jacketed load, but probably in the 2000 FPS range.
Easy to load jacketed full house loads for as well. Lots of loading info out there, and its not a picky caliber to load for.

It might be old, but it has what it takes! The 30 30 was sort of the AR15 of the early 20th century.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'm not a hunter, but in a survival situation, my 3030 would be what a take with me!! I've shot it a lot and am totally comfortable with it. It will do the job!!
P1000453.JPG

·
Registered
20,893 Posts
I've got a 1976 Winchester 94 in .30-30 in 99% condition, with a receiver sight on it. The open sights don't work for me.....so I cut it off, and installed the receiver sight. I don't shoot it much, but I keep 5 boxes of ammo....just in case. Nice lighter rifle that weighs only 6 #. I got rid of the old 'sporterized' military bolt rifles in .30-06. They weighed a ton!!! Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts