Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is a S&W forum and my rifel isn't a S&W, but I really need help with an ammo issue, and you guys know your way around ammo.
I am having a very difficult time finding spire point loads for my Savage 325C Bolt action 30-30. I understand that they are usually round point bullets because of the lever action bullet point to primer issue. I want to buy ready to shoot ammo and can't seem to find any.
Doesn't anybody sell them.
I have a couple of friends that reload and said they can load what I want, but I need to buy casings, primers, and bullets in 100 pc. minimums and I only need 20 rounds or so to get me thru the next couple of hunting seasons. I am looking for a bullet in the 150 gr. range, with enough powder load to get me out 200 yards or so.

Any advice or recommendations to make my life easier?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
There just aren't enough box fed .30WCF rifles out there to justify the factory loading of a Spitzer bullet in the .30-30. That coupled with the potentiality of a magazine detonation puts the ammo makes on edge.

You may want to try the new Lever-ution rounds from Hornady which have a pointer, 160 grain bullet loaded with a soft ballistic tip for safety reasons.... see: https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_sessio ... d1f845cb05

Failing that, Remington's 150 Grn Corelocks are a softpointed semi-spitzer. This ammo is pretty common. See Remington part number R30301.

Good luck. I have the same issue with my Winchester 54 and Remington 788, both in .30-30.

Drew

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sebago Son is right on point, although I am a great fan of reloading generally. You might have trouble finding bullets that perform as well as the factory Lever-evolution. The majority of 30 cal. spire points are going to be designed for .308 and 30-06 velocities and might not open well at 30-30 velocities. Here is a case where factory might just be the best solution.
Except if you want to have real fun just try to develop your own loads that function beautifully in your rifle, you will have a new hobby.

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NO MORE RELOADS FOR ME, Thanks !!!

I had an "incident" this past weekend that could have been fatal, but thankfully wasn't.

My wife & I were staying at a fire tower up near the Canadian border for the weekend. We took all of our guns with us to get in some range practice.
We were almost finished shooting and I had some ammo left for the .38. We decided to shoot it off and get in some more target practice with the Model 14.

While we were shooting we had some reloads malfunction (to use the term loosely).
I was using a box of reloads that I friend had built.
For the record, he has been reloading for nearly 30 years.
I unknowingly had 4 casings split on me while ranging in my Model 14. One bullet is now jammed in the barrel after slamming into another that apparently was jammed in the barrel from the shot before.
I had only fired 23 rounds prior to the malfunction. #24 & #25 was the end of the shooting day for my wife & I, needless to say.

2 shots involved here. I will try to keep them straight.
It seems that the "1st" shot casing split and only pushed the bullet partially thru the barrel. My wife & I never noticed the malfunction. The "1st" shot felt and sounded normal (BANG), no difference from all the others, same sound level & standard recoil. The "2nd" shot darned near took of my hands. It made a "BOOM" much louder than my .357 and the recoil was worse than anything I have ever experienced.
The "1st" bullet popped out as if in slow motion. My wife and I actually saw it bounce off the target and back toward us. Her face was nearly white and she asked me what just happened, as if she thought we should be dead or something.
I told her that I thought the gun had just "BLOWN UP".
I put it down to make sure it was safe and a few minutes later picked it up and checked out what had happened. I opened the cylinder, popped out the casings then looked at the barrel. I was shocked to see the bullet in the end of the barrel.
I picked up all of the casings and discovered that 2 of them were cracked, nearly from top to bottom. I then started scouring the ground for what had "popped out". I thought it was the bullet from the shot before and it had been pushed out of the barrel from the last shot. Well I guess I was right. I actually managed to recover the "1st" bullet after about a 1/2 hour of looking. It is shown in the pics. It appears that it had mushroomed from the impact as it left the barrel.

The "2nd" bullet jammed in the barrel and my Model 14 is now useless, and pics will show that too.
Look at the reflections between the jammed bullet and the ejector pin. You can see the curves in the reflections showing the small bulge in the barrel.

When we got back to our room I searched thru all of my brass and discovered that 4 casings had been split.
I am taking my Model 14 to the gunsmith this week to see if there is any damage the to rest of the revolver, and see if it can be salvaged by just replacing the barrel. I don't know if the frame or cylinder were damaged in the back blast. He will know for sure. I will let you know later.
The end of the story is I will never fire anything but factory loads from now on. I guess that the standard 30-30 is okay by me.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Gear their is a number of things that can cause split brass. I see that those cases were nickel plated, they tend to work harden faster than plain brass, They might have been tumbled in a media with ammonia in it. Are it could be just old brass. I would personally never shoot somebody Else's reloads. 2345ll

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are correct.
I just learned the most valuable lesson in firepower.
Never use somebody else's reloads.
I don't reload myself, so it's big bucks for ammo and safe factory loads for me.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Gearchecker, placing myself at extreme risk of appearing flippant, impertinent and frivolous, I'd say you have a real good excuse for building a 3 1/2 inch barreled Model 14. And, to echo C. Pierce, I never, ever, under any circumstances, use some one else's reloads. I don't care how well I know them. Seriously, I'm happy to see you or your wife didn't get injured. Consider yourself damned lucky!

Back to the topic...I load Remington 150 grain spire points in .30-30 WCF for my Savage 340. No problems what-so-ever.

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do consider that we were damned lucky on this one. I watch "Mythbusters" and saw what a barrel jam can do. Not pretty.

Back to the original subjuct again.
If I don't do my own loading/reloading, what am I to do?
Is there any manufacturer out there that does make this type of ammo? Like maybe Hornaday or Buffalo Bore.
Is there a manufacturer that will build ammo? Afordably?
Maybe a licensed custom loading shop?

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate all of your comments and will take your advice carefully.
I will look into reloading (Another Firearms addition?)

I'm closing the post.

Thanks to all who responded
Gearchecker - North Idaho

1 - 9 of 9 Posts