Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was cleaning out the closet and ran across some old gun boxes. I was looking at the box that my Model 49 came in...still has the sticker from when I bought it brand new back in 1978--$150.

And the ad that was passed around the office a few years later for my 3" model 66-- $283, including Massachusetts sales tax

I still have both of them and they are still amazing firearms.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Mustang,

A right shiny ..........."Two Some"!!:cool:

You are givin' away yer age....:D

Probably not even allowed to look at a pic like that........in Mazz a chootziztan, now a days..:(

Later, Mark

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Great looking S&W revolvers. Glad you kept them.

I got a couple of their family members. These two are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Image 1.jpg Model 65

photo.jpg Model 649

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Good looking guns. I have been looking for a 66 for a while with no luck but I do have a couple Model 49s. The blue one was my carry gun for many years.

E9D662FE-088E-4A9E-9F68-3E43B0FD5B16.jpeg

D3C2D56E-A943-4823-A0F5-AFC4E12D3A60.jpeg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good looking guns. I have been looking for a 66 for a while with no luck but I do have a couple Model 49s. The blue one was my carry gun for many years.
Thanks, Rob.

I carried my "Bodyguard" for almost 30 years...on my hip, under my shoulder, on my ankle, and in my topcoat pocket...never required one bit of service and still hits where I point it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Mustang,

A right shiny ..........."Two Some"!!:cool:

You are givin' away yer age....:D

Probably not even allowed to look at a pic like that........in Mazz a chootziztan, now a days..:(

Later, Mark

Later, Mark
Thanks, Mark. I Believe you are right. Mass is a very different place nowadays.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Great looking S&W revolvers. Glad you kept them.

I got a couple of their family members. These two are not going anywhere anytime soon.

View attachment 459579 Model 65

View attachment 459583 Model 649
Thanks, 'Ron! I deeply regret getting rid of the only S&W I ever sold. I had a 4" Model 19 which I sold to buy the 3" 66. That 19 had the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder holes and I had a gunsmith at Riley's Gun Store in Hookset, NH round the butt on it. He did a great job...recut the grooves on the backstrap and touched up the bluing. I once compared it to one of the 4" ONI Model 19's and it was indistinguishable except the ONI model had a yellow front sight insert and mine was red.

Those are two pretty nice ones you have their yourself. I've always like 3" revolvers. Looks like we have the same taste in revolvers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Finding the box to my S&W model 49 made me reflect on why I bought it in the first place. It was my first center-fire handgun.

When I bought it in 1978, Sacramento, where I lived, was in the grip of a panic caused by a serial rapist known then as the "East Area Rapist". At the time, my girlfriend (now wife of 40+ years) and I lived in the heart of the EAR's stalking ground. For a while I was content with my Ruger MKI .22 target pistol for protection, but that changed in February 1978 when the EAR chased down a couple who were out walking their dog and shot both of them to death. Although it was only speculation at the time, most people believed that the murders were connected to the EAR.

At that point, I decided it was time to get something more potent than a Ruger .22 target pistol. I drove over to Big R in West Sacramento (where I had purchased my Ruger) and looked over the revolvers. I almost bought a 4" Ruger Security Six, but finally settled on the model 49. I decided that I wanted something I could carry (even without a permit) and the Ruger revolver was a little too big for that.

Eventually the EAR moved to the San Francisco Bay area and I got into law enforcement. The model 49 became my back up/off duty gun.

No one has mentioned it, but if you look at the box, the model 49 is listed as having a blue finish and indeed it did. I ended up taking it to Cake-Davis Guns, right across the freeway from Big R in West Sacramento. The "Davis" in Cake-Davis was Bill Davis, who was famous for building excellent PPC revolvers. I had them give the 49 a "duty tune" and a beaded nickle finish. That finish still looks as good as the day it was put on.

The "East Area Rapist"? He eventually graduated to serial killing and became known as the "Golden State Killer". He was finally identified and arrested two years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_State_Killer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts