Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
A lot of it is going to businesses so they can stay afloat while the govt has them shut down. We all want those companies to survive so we have jobs to go back to when this is all over, right? A lot of them would go bankrupt if they had no income for 2-4 weeks.
The $1200 you mention is just the immediate relief checks in the bill.
It also includes money to fund unemployment through the state unemployment insurance programs AND to add another payment of up to $600 per week from the Fed program on top of the state unemployment check people will get from the state. In theory.
The way it was explained to me is that the average worker makes around $1000 a week. State unemployment insurance checks for that average person will be $300-$500 a week. This bill will give them an additional check for up to $600 a week so they end up with $900-$1000 a week - most or even all of their regular pay.

·
Premium Member
6,382 Posts
It's not just about $1200 checks.

$500 billion in loans and guarantees to businesses, state and local governments.

$350 billion in loans for small companies with 500 employees or fewer, including nonprofits.

$260 billion for unemployment insurance.

$150 billion for grants to hospitals, public and nonprofit health organizations and Medicare and Medicaid suppliers.

$150 billion in aid to state and local governments.

That's the real big stuff... plus a ton of other categories from $45 billion to down to $100 million.

Democrats are already talking stimulus #2.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
It also includes money to fund unemployment through the state unemployment insurance programs AND to add another payment of up to $600 per week from the Fed program on top of the state unemployment check people will get from the state. In theory.
The way it was explained to me is that the average worker makes around $1000 a week.
Not the tens of thousands making minimum wage! Slightly over $300/wk, maybe $400 for them! Why work for that if you can make almost twice that for NOT working? Fast-food workers are the ones that still have jobs after other restaurant workers have been laid off, & they are supposed to be the people "feeding the country" during this (manufactured) crisis; what happens if they opt for unemployment?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Not the tens of thousands making minimum wage! Slightly over $300/wk, maybe $400 for them! Why work for that if you can make almost twice that for NOT working? Fast-food workers are the ones that still have jobs after other restaurant workers have been laid off, & they are supposed to be the people "feeding the country" during this (manufactured) crisis; what happens if they opt for unemployment?
I'm not sure, but the way I understand it the "extra" checks are only to make up the difference between unemployment and a person's regular check. I don't think the two can exceed what the person normally makes.
At least that is the way I understand it - not to mention that is the way it SHOULD work.

Reactions: NWDave

·
Premium Member
6,382 Posts
My wife is getting near retirement. Max unemployment pay in Tennessee is $275/wk. Plus $600/wk from Trump. $875/wk for doing nothing would be ok. Benefits in Tennessee last 26 weeks. Trump is extending that 13 weeks. 39 week vacation at the cabin. Then retire. Trump/Corona baby! Way better than a stupid Obama phone.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
LOL, yeah, I filled out the unemployment app and they said my check would be $468 a week.
Add a $600 Trump check on top of that and I wouldn't be in a huge hurry to go back to work.
I would go back just as soon as possible, but it sure would be tempting to drag it out for 9 months.
Helluva vacation plan!

·
Registered
12,047 Posts
Saw where there were over 3.2 million new unemployment claims for the latest week tracked. That's a lot of unemployed people and when added to the previous week, and then next weeks, I wouldn't be surprised to see it top 5 million. A big hunk of the 2T will be helping state unemployment funding along with the "up to $600" the feds are adding on. Saw something about a temporary halt on the employers share of the SSI payroll deduction, which may be included in that figure too.

·
Registered
9,065 Posts
I don't qualify :( but I'm still working :)

thewelshm

Reactions: NWDave and msharley

·
Premium Member
6,382 Posts
Fraud will be rampant. With three million losing their job in just one week the system will be overwhelmed. No one will be checking who is legitimately unemployed. Money will flow like water from a firehose.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fraud will be rampant. With three million losing their job in just one week the system will be overwhelmed. No one will be checking who is legitimately unemployed. Money will flow like water from a firehose.
The Cloward-Piven strategy.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
That’s what I figured, we’re all getting paid staycations.
Except they aren't "staying" where they belong! I live in a tourist area normally "dead" at this time of year--my favorite time of year! NOT NOW! Almost as much traffic as the summer! And this represents only the laid-off teachers & gov't workers assured of not loosing a dime of their regular salaries, not all those soon to be getting their "paid vacation" checks!

·
Premium Member
11,432 Posts
Retirement looks better and better. My wife says she doesn't want the $1200. I ask her if I can have it. She didn't smile.

·
Premium Member
6,382 Posts
Speaking of adding up...

It began by Trump asking for $1.2 trillion. Then it went to $2 trillion. Yesterday it was supposed to be finalized at $2.2 trillion. I just saw Fox New scroll $2.3 trillion across the bottom of the screen.

One thing remains consistent... no money for the wall. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts