Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
8,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spotted this at my LGS last weekend and decided to buy it today. It's a Model 296 TI in 44 Special, and this one looks to be from 1999 although they were only made for a couple of years. It's a Centennial L frame with an alloy frame and a Titanium cylinder. I've shot it and with factory 44 Special ammo it's got a pretty good kick to it since it's so lightweight. It's not really much of a range gun but for defensive purposes it's pretty good. I plan to load my own and reduce the recoil a bit to make it more comfortable. I like the big bore idea though. I don't really need this gun but he gave me a good deal on it and I've always thought you can't have too many defensive guns around the house...

·
Registered
10,131 Posts
Hey Carl,

I think Know fer fact! That is the Koolest Pocket Rocket on the Planet!

Good for You!

Later, Mark

Reactions: jeepnut and Cal44

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I, too, have one. I did not like the looks of the rubber grips so I put the Ahrends (below) on it. I planned to replace the rubber grips before I went to LEOSA qualification, but forgot. I was shooting 200 grain Speer Gold Dot HP ammo and had to shoot 50 day and 50 night. I had to remove the grips and clean the blood off the grip frame that ran between the frame and grips. I decided after that I would not qualify with it again.

Great gun to carry, not much fun to shoot.

I carried a 342ti as a backup when I was in the field. I told people it was 364 days of pleasure and one day of sheer agony as we carried plus P .38 JHP ammo in it. While it was brutal, it did not compare to the 296.

·
Administrator
8,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it's definitely a handful to shoot. I can't imagine shooting a hundred rounds through it all at once. But as far as being a defensive gun, I think it'll be a good one. Another set of grips is probably a good idea though..

·
Registered
10,131 Posts
That is a great SD gun. Nothing like a big heavy slow moving projectile to clear your path.
Yep. The 44 Special....has plenty of snot to take bowling pins right off the table!

·
Super Moderator
35,582 Posts
Good looking snub big bore, I can imagine as stated that it is a handful!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts