Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked it up this past Tuesday and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I really like a N frame with a 4" barrel. This one came with rubber grips that I took off and replaced with some rosewood grips I've had in my parts box. I will be shooting 44 spl in this model 29-3 and I believe this one is from around 1985 ACS39xx
DSCN0861.JPG

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As you can see in the bottom pic the pin just above the trigger that enters the left side of the frame is tapped in some. Usually you can hardly see them because S&W installs them before the final polish and finish. I think this pin is for the cylinder bolt. Anyway the S&W functions like it should but I'll know more when I shoot it. Another thing I like about this older S&W none of the screw heads are torn up, that would have killed the sale. This one came from GB and the seller was webstore11.

·
Registered
22,113 Posts
Fantastic acquisition! Looks great and like the grips you added. Congrats and well done. Range report to follow hopefully soon.:cool:

Reactions: ussmanlovede36

·
Administrator
8,100 Posts
Nice! I have a nickel 29-3 also but mine is a 6" barrel. You have the right idea about shooting 44 Special through them. You'll like it!

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not all is well with my new to me 29-3. I discovered that the extractor pins are missing, you know the little pins that stick out of the back of the cylinder. So I call S&W and get no joy from them on the parts but the customer rep suggest that I call Jack First. So I give them a call and they have them :). They sell them in pairs and they are cheap but add $11.00 for shipment so I told her send me four. The shipment is still $11.00. These pins are not easy to find, midway=none, Brownells=none, numrich=closed for now. The lady at Jack First said she will get them out today and then I will take my gun to the gunsmith, they are a press fit. I like the 29-3 a lot and want it to be right even though I can shoot the gun as is.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Not all is well with my new to me 29-3. I discovered that the extractor pins are missing, you know the little pins that stick out of the back of the cylinder. So I call S&W and get no joy from them on the parts but the customer rep suggest that I call Jack First. So I give them a call and they have them :). They sell them in pairs and they are cheap but add $11.00 for shipment so I told her send me four. The shipment is still $11.00. These pins are not easy to find, midway=none, Brownells=none, numrich=closed for now. The lady at Jack First said she will get them out today and then I will take my gun to the gunsmith, they are a press fit. I like the 29-3 a lot and want it to be right even though I can shoot the gun as is.
How did you pick up on that? was it something in the operation that told you to look or is that part of your once over. Made me go check my 28 ..

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I received the extractor pins yesterday from Jack First and took them to the local gunsmith and he installed them. It took about fifteen minutes and I watched while he did it so now all is well with my 29-3. The plan is to take it shooting next week. Jack First was good to deal with, I ordered the pins and they got them in the mail the same day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts