Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new addition to the pile. This is a Highway Patrolman 357 w6" bbl. I got this one on a trade for a .22 Walther pistol. It had a "born" date of 1975. It doesn't appear to have been shot much as there is barely a bolt line on the cylinder. Timing and lockup are not perfect, but are pretty good. No end shake, etc. The bore is nigh on to perfect! I have no idea where the sights are looking, but will figure that out tomorrow. The gun came with the small grip set but a friend sold me a nice set of target stocks for it for $40.00! Some pics:

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Great gun and excellent deal on the stocks. Looks like you need to tighten the front screw on your rear sight.
Before attempting to tighten the front screw, first reduce the tension being exerted on it by turning (lossening) the rear sight elevation screw to raise the sight. The rib or tang on the rear sight is formed with a slight upward arch to act as a spring.

Trying to tighten the front screw while the sight rib is under tension, makes it very difficult (if not impossible) to tighten that tiny screw, and it's the most common reason why the front screw head gets buggered up.

In fact, the proper installation procedure for a rear sight is to install and tighten the front screw first, and then down on the rear of the sight until the elevation screw will engage the threads.

Nice trade by the way!

·
Registered
30,033 Posts
Congrats on adding that to your collection. Enjoy!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Looks like you need to tighten the front screw on your rear sight. "

Yep, too a look at that and it turned out that the sight had been bent such that both screws would not engage. I removed the sight assembly, carefully straightened the sight body, leaving just a bit of curve to tension the elevation screw and then reassembled. I just need to get time for a range visit to find out just where the sights are looking and make adjustments as necessary. Soon, very soon!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts