Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to the forum and recently inherited my brothers collection. I’m looking to educate myself more on S&W revolvers. The one I’m looking for info on is a 28-2 Highway Patrolman 5” red ramp white outline. I would like to know what grips came with it when new as they’re not original presently.
Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,718 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! The highway patrolman came standard with Magnas but Target grips could be ordered. There are several highway patrolman threads in the Forum. Do a search and take a look at the different styles of grips. If you have a number of Smith & Wesson guns, purchasing the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, fourth edition, will serve you well.

Guy

·
Registered
573 Posts
I’m new to the forum and recently inherited my brothers collection. I’m looking to educate myself more on S&W revolvers. The one I’m looking for info on is a 28-2 Highway Patrolman 5” red ramp white outline. I would like to know what grips came with it when new as they’re not original presently.
Not certain, but, I don’t think the early 28’s had the red ramp sight. Maybe added after purchase, like I did mine! memtb

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! The highway patrolman came standard with Magnas but Target grips could be ordered. There are several highway patrolman threads in the Forum. Do a search and take a look at the different styles of grips. If you have a number of Smith & Wesson guns, purchasing the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, fourth edition, will serve you well.

Guy
Thank you appreciate the help. My brother was on the forums all the time. I’ll gradually be going through the collection, as emotions allow.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
AFAIK the M-28 has always only been produced brushed blue finish (i.e., not a high polish nor nickel plated) w/ 4 and 6 inch barrels, a plain ramped front sight and a plain black rear sight blade. It has always had the standard narrow trigger and hammer and magna stocks. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AFAIK the M-28 has always only been produced brushed blue finish (i.e., not a high polish nor nickel plated) w/ 4 and 6 inch barrels, a plain ramped front sight and a plain black rear sight blade. It has always had the standard narrow trigger and hammer and magna stocks. Sincerely. bruce.
That’s what I’ve found in the research I’ve done. From breach to end of the barrel it’s 5.5”. I’ve read a some blogs where there’s been R/R W/O they said were salesman samples. I really don’t know what to think. Going by the serial number N266xxx I find it to be 75-77 vintage. It is brushed finish.
Thank for the help, Mike

·
Premium Member
12,294 Posts
It's probably a 6" barrel; don't forget to measure the forcing cone. Sorry about your loss. I lost my brother three years ago.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Some police departments did order them with a nickel finish. Some departments ordered them with a red insert front:white outline rear sight. It is also reported than less than 100 had 8 3/8” barrels.

Does yours have NYPD under the cylinder on the left side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's probably a 6" barrel; don't forget to measure the forcing cone. Sorry about your loss. I lost my brother three years ago.
Yes your correct it’s a 6” I wasn’t including the forcing cone. Sure wish I could ask my brother questions about all these guns and get some history. He loved Smith revolvers especially the older pinned barrel stuff. Anybody you know have some factory stocks that date back to this gun I’d be interested in buying some.
Thanks again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some police departments did order them with a nickel finish. Some departments ordered them with a red insert front:white outline rear sight. It is also reported than less than 100 had 8 3/8” barrels.

Does yours have NYPD under the cylinder on the left side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No NYPD under the cylinder.

·
Registered
30,033 Posts
They did make 25 Nickel 28's with 5" barrels for LEA. Other than that the 28 only came in 4-6" barrel lengths.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. As others have said, the 28-2 came with the plain front and rear sights and the Magna grips. I recently took a set of Magnas off a 28-2 and have no plans to reuse them. Let me know if you are interested and I will list them with a picture on the WTS page so you can take a look. Happy shooting!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts