Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings Gun Guys -

I just purchased a S&W 28-2 for what I believe to be a good price. Would love to hear any info about this beautiful firearm. Based on another thread I found, I believe it is from 76-78. Serial #N24X-8XX. The blued finish seems to be in decent shape, all original except the Pachmayr grips. No box or papers. Can't wait to get it out to the range!

What do you think is a fair price from what you can tell? 4 inch model, see pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,148 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on obtaining a great revolver. You did well for the price you paid because I don't see 4" 28-2's for less than $650. I was lucky and got mine last year for $560.00 from GB and I thought I did well. Sweetest trigger of any revolver I have. Please post range report to let us know how it functions.:cool:
Mine came with the original magnas for grips and I added some period correct factory target grips.

20181006_125129.jpg

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
damn I still have to find my 28!!
I know where I can find a nice one .. I just hve to crack open my wallet!

Nice score brother .. enjoy and please .. as has been requested .. bring on a range report and tell us how awesome it is so I can be dutifully jealous! :)

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
damn I still have to find my 28!!
I know where I can find a nice one .. I just hve to crack open my wallet!

Nice score brother .. enjoy and please .. as has been requested .. bring on a range report and tell us how awesome it is so I can be dutifully jealous! :)

Just curious, the one you have in your sights and are queasy about, what kind of price are you facing, 1K+, 900, 800, where on the scale are you at that is causing you pause?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Just curious, the one you have in your sights and are queasy about, what kind of price are you facing, 1K+, 900, 800, where on the scale are you at that is causing you pause?
$750 ... I know its not a bad price and the gun is immaculate .. and I have seen it and handled it so its not just a pic on GB. I went a little gun happy in the last 6 months so feel pangs of guilt buying another but I may just have to pick it up. I am reasonably sure its still available.

I have never bought an Older gun .. I know many of you guys do it all the time but I am, maybe foolishly, concerned that if something is wrong or goes wrong .. what do I do with it.

at the moment I am glad its not $650 because .. I wouldnt be able to resist!!
Alex

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
$750 ... I know its not a bad price and the gun is immaculate .. and I have seen it and handled it so its not just a pic on GB. I went a little gun happy in the last 6 months so feel bangs of guilt buying another but I may just have to pick it up. I am reasonably sure its still available.

I have never bought an Older gun .. I know many of you guys do it all the time but I am, maybe foolishly, concerned that if something is wrong or goes wrong .. what do I do with it.

Alex
Well, I have two, a 6 inch and a 4 inch that I'll never sell because my son had it refinished for me. I'll provide pictures of both. That said, I'd put a higher price in today's market for the 6" than what you are looking at because I think I can find a buyer for it. You might want to do a "Hey, I have $650 cash in hand, let's do this" and you might pull it off, but be prepared to buy beer, pizza and wings! ;) Here's my pics, just to torment you into making a deal, we're selfishly evil that way! :)

redo right face.JPG 28left.JPG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate all of the support! This is my first revolver and I definitely think I made a good choice with this classic S&W. I like to imagine this was issued to a trooper and was his trusted sidearm for many years. I love my Sigs, but there's something special about an old revolver.

Now it's time to get this beauty to the range, shop around for some wood grips (any advice is appreciated), and get back to you folks with a proper range report!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
...shop around for some wood grips (any advice is appreciated), and get back to you folks with a proper range report!...
These are not wood but they are on 4” N frames, except the pair on a the 1917 Commercial.

Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Well, I have two, a 6 inch and a 4 inch that I'll never sell because my son had it refinished for me. I'll provide pictures of both. That said, I'd put a higher price in today's market for the 6" than what you are looking at because I think I can find a buyer for it. You might want to do a "Hey, I have $650 cash in hand, let's do this" and you might pull it off, but be prepared to buy beer, pizza and wings! ;) Here's my pics, just to torment you into making a deal, we're selfishly evil ]
I have been told by friends that I am a very good cook. I may just try some good food and $650 and see if it flies! :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
With S&Ws of this vintage, particularly N frames, you have very little to worry about. Buy with confidence! ;)

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey J,

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

You get bored with that one...........just send it here!!

Good for you!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Curt360

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
$750 ... I know its not a bad price and the gun is immaculate .. and I have seen it and handled it so its not just a pic on GB. I went a little gun happy in the last 6 months so feel pangs of guilt buying another but I may just have to pick it up. I am reasonably sure its still available.

Alex
Buy the older gun and don't worry. This forum will guide you. 5 screw pre 28 6in.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts