Smith And Wesson Forums banner

28-2 .22 LR

3K views 54 replies 22 participants last post by  steven.havens85 
#1 ·
I have a .22 LR 28-2 6” one serial number says s274281 and the one on the butt is k808755. I cannot find any info or one for sale anywhere. Any tips would be great!!!

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums from the cotton and peanut covered plains of the Wiregrass! The M28-2 is an N frame chambered in .357 Mag. If your gun is a .22 LR, it probably is not a M28-2 unless it has been significantly modified. Show us pictures and make sure we see the serial on the butt.

#19 ·
The serial # on the butt is the serial # open up the crane and model xx-x should be stamped. Like Guy said up load some pictures K 800000 guns are from 1969
Seens like pic of 2 different guns with 2 different serial numbers.......Are we being played?.....There's never been a K***** serial number on a N frame gun. The pics shown are from 2 different guns.
No sir one gun. Been in my family my whole life
I will have more pictures soon. The pictures I posted were sent by my brother. He has the weapon. It has been in our family almost as long as I have and I am 55 years old.
I have a .22 LR 28-2 6” one serial number says s274281 and the one on the butt is k808755. I cannot find any info or one for sale anywhere. Any tips would be great!!!
Seens like pic of 2 different guns with 2 different serial numbers.......Are we being played?.....There's never been a K***** serial number on a N frame gun. The pics shown are from 2 different guns.
I want find and buy one like it. So it isn’t a sham! My brother has the one in the pics.
Two different guns for sure.
I am gunna say this one more time. My father bought this gun new. It hasn’t ever been to a gunsmith and it is one gun. I shot it whenever I wanted. So if you don’t know anything else to say but that it is two different guns save your’s and my time and don’t respond.

Attachments

#11 ·
I will have some shortly but my dad bought this gun new. He has passed away. He always said. It was a 22 on a k66 frame but it is stamped 28-2. My friend who is very knowledgeable of Smith’s said he isn’t sure what it is but didn’t think there was such a thing as a k66 and so far I agree with my friend

#13 ·
I see a "Guns International" at the bottom of the picture showing the yoke, which would indicate it is an image taken from a website. What I can see of the cylinder bores look way too large for a .22, which bears out the image is of a .357 Magnum N frame M28-2 from late 1966-early 1967. The other picture showing the butt would be a K frame made in 1968. Do you actually have the gun in-hand? If so, post pictures of right and left profile, one with the open cylinder to show the breech face , and another inside the yoke cut and another of the butt frame without the stocks.

#20 ·
Welcome to the forums from the cotton and peanut covered plains of the Wiregrass! Your have a K-22 Masterpiece Model 17 made in 1968. The model number and serial number stamped in the yoke cut are incorrect and irrelevant. S&W is known to mis-stamp various models and sometimes serials. The official serial is on the butt frame. Also, the Model 28 is an N frame with a shroud around the extractor rod. It is pretty clear there is not shroud and it is likely the frame is a K frame. So, I hope that clears everything up for you and others.

#33 ·
Thank you much.
A hearty Buckeye welcome from Ashtabula County, Ohio!

We may not be the most tactful bunch in the world, but there is, collectively, a world of knowledge among these members. And we are willing to share. Please, be patient with us. Eventually we will grow on you, kind of like algae!

Kevin
Thank you, I should fit in well glad to be a part of the group.

#32 ·
A hearty Buckeye welcome from Ashtabula County, Ohio!

We may not be the most tactful bunch in the world, but there is, collectively, a world of knowledge among these members. And we are willing to share. Please, be patient with us. Eventually we will grow on you, kind of like algae!

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.