Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best round Hunting rifle round? .270 Winchester? Remington 721 Bolt action? :D One of these authors would heartily agree to my choice and I believe the other 3 would approve also. ejejdfkdfk

Jack O'Connor, Townsend Whelen, Jack O'Connor, Jim Carmichel, and Alden Hatch

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Jim,

Really like the 721, but I prefer the .300 H&H chambering and a few more inches of barrel doesn't hurt either.... :p

Another year, another deer...

With a Model 54 .30-'06 (on right).

Drew

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
There is nothing in the lower 48 that I would feel 'under gunned' with using a 270. Same could be said of the '06, and 280. The 270 Encore barrel I have is as accurate as anyone could ask.
But, I was never any good at telling blood trail tracking stories and I ain't getting any younger, so I'm using a 300 Win Mag for my elk hunt :mrgreen:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I also own a 721 in .270. I've owned the 721 for about 30 years now and bought it from the original owner. He was a friend (retired Lt. Col.) who call me one day and told me that he was too old to enjoy his guns. I was invited over to select which guns I wanted and with a few stories, we negotiated the price. I left that day with the 721, his 1917 S&W and Savage 1899 in 303 Savage. I have never used the .270 on anything larger than a white tail but it does anchor them well. The previous owner used it on elk. There is something special about the 721 to me and that is the stock fit. It comes up to the shoulder and fits perfectly to me. The rifle just has a classic feel to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts