Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I reported a couple of days ago I had put a 24-6 Lew Horton on hold at Ali-Babba's. After some research, I went ahead and got it and took it home that evening. I had a trip to the range planned for early Saturday morning so it went along for the ride.

I fired 50 rounds of reloads through it. Nice gun, BUT...remember how I had said the trigger was fantastic. Well, it was also a problem. A couple of light strikes (the strain screw was OK, I had already checked that), and the trigger didn't come back to reset position every time in D/A. S/A no problem. I'd have to push the trigger forward with my finger to get it to work again. I suspect it's had a set of light springs (or the springs have been clipped) put in it to lower the trigger pull down to silly levels. It's lighter than my 2020 Python, and I thought that one was light.

Since Ali-Babba has an in house gunsmith, and a 30 day warranty on used guns, and was just a mile or so down the road, I dropped it off to let them take a look at it. They asked if I wanted a refund, but I said I wanted the gun if they can fix it. They said they'd take a look at it the first of the week and let me know. Either way it's on their nickle, so it's back in the ER.

Other than that, nice gun. It made nice big holes in the target. :)

On other fronts, the Python continues to just chug along with no problems.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I hope you can get it straightened out . I know that I love the one I have. There were only 250 blue and 250 nickel made. I have been looking around for a nickel one to pair up with my blue one but have a hard time justifying a price twice what I paid for the first one. They would both fit the same holster however.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
That's a pretty common result when you throw some light springs in and call it an action job without doing any actual work on the gun. Usually no harm done and the proper application of skill and elbow grease will produce excellent results. Your level of patience and understanding is also a key ingredient to a happy outcome. Looking forward to the next range report.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I wasn't surprised at all. The trigger was just "too good." Well, let me rephrase that. It was just too light. It's a Lew Horton gun and all, but it's pretty obvious someone tried to guild the lily.

The front sight didn't seem to be too much of a problem.

·
Registered
22,070 Posts
Hope it gets fixed and you get it back quick so you can take it back out to the range for some more fun! Pics?;)

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hope it gets fixed and you get it back quick so you can take it back out to the range for some more fun! Pics?;)
Of the gun? I posted them in another thread, but heck, it doesn't cost much to do them again.

24-6.jpg

24-6a.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts