Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an H&R 22, circa 1938. I have an old box of ammo that the gun likes. However, it doesn’t like modern hi-velocity ammo at all. The gun is a model ”22 Special”. Does anyone have any idea what muzzle velocities were in that era? I see ammo listed as sub-sonic, FPS at 1050 +/-. Would that be safe in a gun that old? Thanks and Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
26,000 Posts
Agree, look for CCI standard velocity or similar from Federal and a bazillion other makers.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
There was an actual caliber called 22 special. It is now considered obsolete. It ran a 45 grain flat nosed bullet at 1320fps. It was also known as 22WRF (Winchester Rim Fire) and as 22 Remington Special except the Remington bullet has a round nose. It is the diameter of a 22 magnum, but has a shorter case.https://www.chuckhawks.com/22WRF.htm
I did a quick search and found the H&R 22 Special was chambered in both 22WRF, and 22. The barrel should be stamped as to which it is chambered for

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.