Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot this a long time ago just messing around. I show this off around the club once in a while. Maybe you will be interested with the little 223....

I shot this 3/8 inch steel plate a while ago using my T/C contender pistol which has a 14" barrel. I didn't chronograph the FPS but it's less than the typical AR with a 16" or 20" barrel. The ammo used was basic 55 grain FMJ, nothing fancy. Shot at 50 yards. I taped this "target" up on a backer board and fired at it.

Notice the bullet burned thru the 3/8 steel plate. It sprayed bullet back some and on the partial hit, it bounced a few trees to my left. I didn't shoot anymore at it, in fear of me getting whacked by a ricochet.

I know for a fact that I wouldn't want to hide behind 3/8 steel plate with a guy shooting little ole 223 reloads at me...
Here are the pictures.

Just thought you may like to see what 55 grainers could do......

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Years ago a friend and I took one of his Dad's rifles out. We shot a steel plate and were AMAZED when the little bullet drilled a hole like the one in your picture.

If I recall, the rifle was a twenty-something caliber cartridge called K Hornet and we fired it at about 50 yards.

It's been a long long time...

·
Registered
429 Posts
500!

I got to tell ya, that is amazing that that little bullet would do that. It's all about velocity tho and physics. The visual is aboslutely stunning.

At first I thought the first pics were the back, due to the "peel-back" of the steel. Then I saw the last pics it shows steel forced outward. So the first ones are a "splash". This displays that the velocity creates, on impact, so much heat that it melts the steel and it acts more like water than steel!

Great display.

Dave

·
Registered
273 Posts
Our club won't let anyone shoot club owned hanging steel with high velocity .22's they will drill it and ruin the targets. It's just like drilling a hole in steel plate with a drill press, Start with a small bit and move up to the large ones. No magic, small penatrates easier.

Boats

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Did the same thing a while back with some junk stock from work. Unneeded brackets and such. Shot 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" steel. The standard 5.56 will not penetrate through the 1/2" stuff, almost but not quite, but the 3/8ths stuff I shot looks just like what you posted. The steel core stuff (green tip) does not work any better than the basic ball ammo. I don't have any armor piercing (black tip) 5.56, wish I did. I'd like to do the same test with it, starting with the 1/2" plate.
I think if you look very carefully you will see that some of the copper jackets are melted right in to the plate steel. That was the case with what I shot.
I'd also like to see the same performance tests using the 7.62 NATO ammo.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
A few years back a friend of mine and myself did some steel penetration tests using both 30-06 and .223 AP rounds. As long as the target was mild steel plate the .223s penetrated thru and thru at 100 yards. When we switched to Boiler plate, the .223s stopped at 1/4 inch, bullet actually was stuck halfway through the 1/4" Boiler plate, while the 30-06 AP (TW44) cut through boiler plate up to 5/8" thick like it was butter. We even took a rail( The kind trains run on), set it sideways and the TW44 went thru the web at 100 yards.

The .223 AP was Lake City 92.

·
Super Moderator
19,374 Posts
I just got some 30-06 FMJ's that are from the Lake City Armory.
I'm going to get some plate steel from work and see what it will really go thru.
The weather is nasty up here for now, but as soon as it improves I'll get to the range (National Forest shooting hole) and put some ammo down range.

What distance do you think I should run these at?
50, 100, 200 yds? Let me know. 50 seems a bit close to me.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Gearchecker, LC M2 is copper gilding over a lead core, it's just ball ammo. Won't penetrate like AP will. It will do 1/2" Mild steel though. No less than 100 yards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts