Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of setting up my .223 capabilities. The ball reloads are being done on a Dillon 550B (out of 2230 powder and can't find any!). But I am "threading" about my varmint/hunting .223 loads...
I have a Rockchucker and picked up a set of Lee dies with the factory crimp die. My question is, do these factory crimp dies lead to early case failures around the neck, and are there any tricks i should know about using them? This is for the AR platform and I kind of assume its a matter of trial and error to find where any bullet movement happening before the round gets chambered ceases. Looking at what this die does, it seems like I shouldn't have to really press down hard.
Besides paper, these loads are going to be for coyotes, occasional 'chucks, etc. If it matters I am right now loading Varget with 55 grain Hornady SPs, and I also have some Speer 70 grain SPs (haven't loaded any of these yet) and I am right up to the 27.5 grain load. I notice the directions say Speer does not suggest Lee dies too, why is that? The 70 grainers ought to make a good crunch when seated in the full case!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I've placed an order with MidwayUSA for 2230. That's been within the last two days. Eight pounds for around $160 plus hazmat & shipping. That stuff doesn't last long - so, maybe you should bite the bullet and jump on it while it's still available.

I don't have any experience with the Lee crimp die for the .223/5.56 Nato cartridge. Not yet, anyway.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Geoff first of all what is the twist rate of your barrel? I have had good luck with varget with 69-70 grain bullet. My barrel is a one in seven twist. As for the lee factory sizing die, don't waist your time. They are a waist of time. :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1:9 twist in both rifles. I did use the Lee sizer die, seems to have worked fine. I just fired my first 60 55 Gr SP reloads without a glitch.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Hmmm, I guess I'll have to place an order for the .223 factory crimp die. I use 'em for bottle necked cases like the .25-20, .32-20, .38 & .44 WCF, .22 Hornet & .218 Bee. Work like a charm in all calibers listed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts