Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vintage smith 17-3 designated on the bbl to shoot 22LR... I am curious as to why this revolver would not handle 22 WMR cartridges. The cylinder is plenty long to handle 22 WMR... I feel confident that the pressure difference would not be an issue for this smith K frame. I am not recommending anyone to try this just curious about why it couldn't handle the magnum cartridge

·
Banned
1,715 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,900 Posts
Model 48 is designed around the 22 WMR cartridge. Not because it can handle the blast any better, but it's designed to maximise the effectiveness of the WMR slightly larger bullet diameter. The forcing cone is cut different;y than the ones for the 22 LR cartridges as well.

Reactions: Cliff and cp1969

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know a number of people who have converted their .22 LR pistols to .22 Mag by simply reboring the cylinders. It's actually a fairly common conversion. Brownells and I believe Midway have reamers for such a conversion.
For a while I had a S&W Model 17 that had been such converted. Very accurate. I got to the place I didn't see a need for a .22 Mag in a pistol particularly the size of a Model 17. A buddy still has a Model 63 he had converted to .22 Mag. I don't know how many rounds he's run thru it. Several thousands at least. It's always with him. I borrowed it for a while after I sold my Model 17 and I ran over 500 rds thru his Model 63. It was a very accurate piece.
All the guns I've seen such converted functioned just fine. None have been damaged by shooting .22 Mag conversion. As long as the gun is in otherwise good condition you're not going to damage it by such a conversion.
The bore diameter of the .22 LR is .001" smaller than for .22 Mag. You can find that much variance between different makes of revolvers, even same make, where the bore diameter can vary .001". The pressures generated by the .22 Mag aren't all that much. The SAAMI pressure specs for the .22 LR and the .22 Mag are the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts