Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the early 1970's I bought a blued and nickled 2" S&W kit gun. Their fit and finish were great, but I was extremely disappointed in their field performance.

Then while visiting a small gun shop I stumbled accross a new 3" .22 Charter Arms Pathfinder and bought it. It turned out to be unbelievably accurate. It was a close in "Bunny-Blaster" extrordinaire. This sold me on "non-traditonal-brand" guns.

While at a local gun show two weeks a go the few .22 S&W "Kit Guns" for sale had near stratosphere price tages ($700 up).

Then I found a dealer that had a NEW .22 stainless steel Taurus M-94 marked at $349 right next to a NEW in the box stainless steel S&W M-63 with a $699 price tag.

Hmmm...they both weighed the same, they both had 2" barrels (though I've never seen a M-63 with anything but a 4" or 5" barrel).

They both had micro adjustable rear sights and red insert front sights; then I opened the cylinders. The S&W held the industry standard "6" while the Taurus held "9"; now I'm really taking notice.

Since both guns had the required plastic wire wraps hog tieing their respective hammers, I couldn't compare the actions which didn't matter at this point, I was sold on the M-94 and laid down the cash.

When I got it home..."Holy Sh*t"!!! kubvcabo It had a DA trigger pull that required a crow bar and a Warren Winch to move...I'd say aroun 20 lbs.!

A call to Wolff Springs had a replacement mainspring enroute. I removed the stainless steel mainspring strut which was covered with press marks and burrs. Using a dremel tool, polishing wheel and "Mother's Mag Polish", I gave it a mirrored finish. Once I installed the replacement Wolff mainspring I had a smooth consistant and 100% reliable 8 lb. DA trigger pull in a light and handy "9" shot .22 "Kit Gun".

Now it's time to find which .22 fodder it likes the best then...bring on the Cotton Tails! kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
182 Posts
I started my youngest daughter when she was 9 with a blued 3" version of the M/94. Good little wheel. I liked it so much, I bought a stainless one for myself, but like 99 percent of the firearms I've owned, it was traded for something else. perkgfn

·
Registered
723 Posts
That Taurus is a nice little gun. And yes, trigger pull takes a Herculean effort in DA. Glad you got the new spring and cleaned it up.

Give us a report when you get to shoot it. :D

Enjoy!

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took the "re-springed" M-94 back out to the range today.

It still has 100% reliable ignition with "Minute of Cottontail" accuracy out to 15 yards which ain't too bad when you consider it's 2" barrel.

This little rascal is gonna be a keeper at 1/2 the cost of S&W's current .22 Kit Guns... weiweinp lsk705 weiweinp jvfmn;o

1 - 4 of 4 Posts