Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
CZ.....

Their line of 22's are the best value for the dollar. The 452E in either a varminter or a CZ American are pretty hard to beat. They also make a heavy barreled varminter that is reported to be exceptionally accurate. I own a CZ 452E short barrelled set up for a suppressor and with a decent Euro Class Tasco Scope. It keeps the bullets touching at 50 yards. :)

giz

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
Get a Henry, American made. My most accurate rifle is my Remington Nylon, open sights and I can make a ragged hole the size of a dime at 10 yards.

·
Registered
306 Posts
CZ offers the best value for the money. I have 3 of them in various configurations and I love them!
Other names that come to mind are Kimber,Anshutz,and Hammerli but CZ gets the job done a lot cheaper and they are stocked in Turkish walnut. What's not to like?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Get either a Henry (any Henry) or a Marlin model 39
Two very accurate rifles

·
Super Moderator
33,397 Posts
Marlin 39 is my favorite.

·
Super Moderator
11,058 Posts
So very many choices. You may want to figure out what type of action you are looking for. That will help you narrow your choices. Personally, I love the 10/22, though mine is a target version with a bull barrel and Volquartsen action parts.

The CZ is very tempting, though. Everyone seems to agree that they are a great value, considering how nice they shoot.

If it is a lever action you seek, you really only have a couple of options but the Marlin holds sway there, I think.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice guys ( you to wendy) I bought a Savage mk11 for bench rest shooting. Wendy I allready have five marlin 39's great rifle.

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
I like the Ruger Std. 10/22 rifle. It's the one I choose to take small game hunting, unless I use my Savage 20 ga. single shot. There's a reason why they are the most popular .22. Mine is plenty accurate with a 1" Bushnell 4x scope on it. They are reliable, a handy size, have the Rotary magazine (super reliable), even though they do have a birch stock. (You can get it with better stocks. ;) )

I also have a Savage MK I that's pretty good, but it's a plain black bolt action with black plastic stock. (My only "Black gun"!) It has a 1" BSA 4x on it, which seems to work OK... for now. If I ever experience problems, I'll get another Bushnell. kfjdrfirii Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
have only seen and heard bad things about the mp22 sometimes called the Jam- omatic Was going to purchase but put on hold, called SW and was told yes they our receiving many complaints with frustrated coustomers //will this be Fixed??

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
The most accurate out-of-the-box sporter I have seen lately is the re-issue Winchester / Browning Model 52B... pricey and sometimes tough to find but man, what a rifle.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Cheap they ain't, but Anschutz makes an incredibly accurate .22. Only .22 I've ever shot that can turn a bullseye into a ragged hole at 50 yards, or allow me to put a slug literally anywhere on the target I want.

The one I've shot actually belongs to my youngest son. If I can't talk him out of it, I guess one of these days I'll have to actually buy it off him.

Bill

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I had a 39A about ten years ago. Off the wall accuracy. Had a 4X Bushnell Scopechief on it. Outshot my brother's Rem. 541(I think that's the model, looks like a 700). Most accurate 22 I ever owned, and I've got a Win.52 and a 75!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Everyone thinks bolt action are necessary for accuracy in .22's. Someone suggested the Remington Nylon 66 which is a very accurate hunting rifle. Remington also makes a 552 which is pretty accurate too. My favorite go to rifle for hunting small game is the Browning .22 Automatic. They are easy to carry, accurate enough for most shooters and they can be broken down easily for storage in your vechicle.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Heathen said:
Everyone thinks bolt action are necessary for accuracy in .22's.
It depends on your definition of accuracy.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh boy Jose :shock: that coment ought start a whole new thread. And yes I agree with what you said. ;)

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I'll put in my 2C's again.
From what I have learned from my friends that benchrest shoot, here is what they have to say on the issue of which is the most accurate platform - Bolt, Lever and Semi-auto. If I use a term incorrectly I apologize in advance.
The reason that a bolt or lever action is considered more accurate on the overall is that none of the action is moving during the firing cycle as in the semi-autos. The bolt lock down is the most stable platform making the bolt, loaded chamber and barrel nearly one solid unit. The lever action has nearly the same effect but the lever breech lock traditionaly is not as solid as a bolt action.
The semi-auto bolt is in motion during part of the firing cycle and that has a tendency to cause undue vibrations and movement in the cycle.
I have friends that shoot in the 500 Yd challenges and can consistantly place 1" groups at 500 Yds with a .22 caliber rifle.
Granted they use additional dampening methods like barrel tuners and rubber shock bushings on the barrels, but they are still shooting a .22 in that level on a clear and calm day. They can sometimes keep that tight a grouping on a day that is not so calm if the winds remain constant.
Accuracy is a measurable result of any shooting cycle. It isn't a negotiable measurement once the spread of accuracy has been pre-determined.
IMOH, you can define what your acceptable range of accuracy is. If 1" at 50 Yds is your acceptable level of accuracy, so be it.
I shoot for 3 rounds placed inside 1" at 100 yds for any of my rifles as a minimum range of acceptable accuracy. My Marlin 39A does that on a bad day.
Nobody should argue anothers acceptable range of accuracy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts