Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this round. To be honest, it has been off my radar since I never had a gun chambered in it. I actually scoffed at it, truth be known, thinking what was the need? If you needed anything more than a 22 LR than you would go to centerfire, correct?

Especially in a handgun. The conventional wisdom seems to be that the Magnum is wasted in a short barrel. I know some folks who swear by the 22 mag in the NAA as an "always there" defensive load. Hard to believe you would gain much of anything over the standard LR in that situation.

22 Mag in a rifle, I guess I can wrap my head around a bit.All the reading I have done says that this is where the 22 mag shines but I still have that thought in the back of my head about what kind of a performance window does this round fill? Even from a rifle. If a 22 LR is too small for coyote (subjective?) is a 22 Mag all of a sudden just right?

Jessie found me a old model spare 22 mag cylinder that my Single Six was lacking. I just had to find that cylinder somewhere. I never knew I actually needed it, but knowing the gun originally came with one made me have to find one.I got it fitted to the gun and it seems to time just fine. I need to go buy a couple of loadings to try out and it looks like CCI makes the most widely used round, the MaxiMag.

So, what do you folks like, dislike, or just don't care about this cartridge? What are your favorite ammo choices, etc.

Do they make 22 Mag rat shot? That seems to be one place where there is a lot of room for improvement over the standard 22 LR loading.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Shaun,

About the only place I've ever been impressed with the .22 Mag was hunting varmints at longer ranges than a .22LR should be used for.... read, killing vermin and feral house pets that used to infest my farm.

The .22 Mag will explode a crow when they get wary and tree out of shotgun range....

Good on skunks, but not so much on porky-pines or woodchucks unless you hit them square in the head with the first shot. Never killed a fox with one, but I would think given the nature of that critter that a solid body shot forward of the last rib should work. Too light in my opinion for regular, planned use on coy-dogs.

Drew

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I've always thought the 22 mag was a sales gimmick. The 22 long rifle will accomplish the same thing at half the price. ;)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I like it. It adds range and effectiveness to the .22 Long Rifle. It is not something I go plinking with. Ammunition tends to be a little pricey. However, with the current ammo shortage, it is almost always on the shelves when everything else is gone.

It turns bad, nasty jackrabbits into good jackrabbits very nicely. I find it to be as accurate as any other cartridge if you do your part. I have an Automag in .22 magnum that is very, very picky when it comes to ammo. The only thing that works is CCI Maxi-Mag. Other than that, I love shooting the .22 magnum.

I have a Super Single-Six with the extra cylinder and I've discovered that if I'm going to shoot it, I just leave the Long Rifle cylinder at home. I have more fun shooting with the magnum load than with the other.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I had a couple of .22 Mags, but the one thing I really didn't like about my Model 48 Smith with the 6 inch barrel was the noise. It was accurate enough, and did the job, but really was over rated. I had a Ruger Single Six with both cylinders, and almost always had the .22 Long Rifle cylinder in. Given the cost of .22 Mag ammo these days, I will stick to .22 Long Rifle handguns, I can kill a large squirrel or a ruffed grouse as easy with the .22 LR as the other.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I like the 22 mag very much. It does more than 22 LR ever amagined. It has a nice solid report, bullit velosity is great and it does a much better job on the Groundhogs in my back yard, 22 LR some times just doesn't cut it.

I buy it by the brick, but haven't seen any in a while. I usually get the Win Super X in either solid or hollow point. 22 Mag is sort of dirty though and to me that is the only draw back.

My 648 is very accurate at long distances and is really fun to shoot. And I like the extra report that the 22 LR doesn't have.

Velocity and energy are higher and should have better results on target. Energy is about double on the mags over the LR.

Dave

PS. Here are the numbers:
22 Long Rifle, 22 Long Rifle, 22 Winchester Magnum
Bullet Wt. Grs. 37, 37, 40
Bullet Type Lead Hollow Point Lead Hollow Point JHP
Barrel Length (in) 6, 6, 6.5 Hand gun

Mid Range Trajectory (in. at 100 yds) - - -

Rifle Velocity in Feet Per Second (fps)
Muzzle 1280, 1330, 1910
100yds 1015, 1038, 1326
Rifle Energy in Foot Pounds (ft-lbs.)
Muzzle 135, 106, 324
100yds 85, 88, 156

Handgun Velocity in Feet Per Second (fps)
Muzzle 1085, 1135, 1480
Handgun Energy in Foot Pounds (ft-lbs.)
Muzzle 97, 106, 195

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
1/3 more power for 3 times the price was the word that I used to hear for the 22 MRF. I bought a nice Savage 24 with the 22 MRF above a 3" 20 Gauge. After using it for wood chucks, I swapped it for a Winchester 43 in .218 Bee. The Bee had something above the 22 MRF but probably not a great amount more and the bee was a bit lighter to carry and had better glass. My next 22 MRF was this back up gun.
It seemed reasonable to me that 2 positive rounds were better than 5 maybes. I have heard that there is not much difference between the 22 LR and the 22 MRF in these 3" tubes. They at least looked and sounded more powerful. I bought a nice model 48 in 4" but the cost of the ammo bothered me so I sent it to Smith and got the 22 LR cylinder. A good deal. I then bought a model 48 with the 6" barrel and the 22 LR cylinder worked on that one too. The 6 " got very few magnums through it but did digest a lot of Long Rifles. The only 22 Mag I have now is the High Standard.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I still have the 22 High Std Mag derringer that I carried as a back-up.Its a great pocket gun for the wintertime when my coat is done up.I just got in trade a Marlin 882S and it is great on woodchucks with CCI mags.I got them at a gun show for about 10.00 per box of 50 rounds and I picked up a 'few' boxes.The rifle is VERY accurate out to 100 yards and that is good for me.I have not owned a 22mag handgun in many years and do not see any advantage of a 22mag in a handgun,oh forgot the NorthAmerican 5 shot that also see's pocket duty but only as a back-up.Seems to beat the 22 LR in the same gun as far as uuummmpph goes,least thats the score on ripe tomatoes :)

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for a bunch of great responses. I finally picked up some rounds today to try out, hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Forster,

I think you'll like the 22 mag. Let us know what you think. Again some of it is kind of dirty and deposits build up fast in the cyl.

But for those that don't think the mag is much more than the LR, if you go by the numbers it is as good or better when compared to the base cal, when you compare 38/357 and/or 44 sp/44 mag. The increase in energy is on line with these so, there really is a big dif between mag and LR. In pistols it's 100%+ more for 22 mag over the LR. If applied properly you should see that dif as a plus.

Me? All of my revolvers are magnums, so I'm partial! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I have a S&W 648 which I find to be very accurate. It is a step up in power from my K-22, and yes the ammo is a lot more expensive. Still
I am glad I have it, as it is for more serious shooting such as varmits, than the 22 long rifle ctg.

One question I have is - I recall the bore on the 22 magnum is .224, while the 22 long rifle is .222 . Which brings up the question does it effect the accuracy of the 22 long rifle when shooting it through a 22 mag gun? . .Also, you'd think more gas might escape around the smaller .222 round going out a .224 barrel, meaning loss of velocity.

Then perhaps the difference is too small to have any real detrimental effect; those with two cylinder revolvers might have an answer.

Hank

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I shot some of the Federal 50 grain loads today. I was using the old model Single Six (unconverted) that I bought a few weeks back. It was missing the cylinder but a friend traced one down and sent it to me. I had to do a little hand fitting but it worked just fine.

Triplelock, all I can tell you is that this particular old sixgun can FLAT OUT shoot! It does great with LR and with Magnum. I wasn't shooting for groups but was shooting at some clay birds set downrange. First off - Loud! :shock: I stepped away about 15 yards and hit 3 birds with 3 shots. OK, I'll back up to the truck (100 feet - paced) and try. Resting my arms between the door frame and the door, I hit a bird on the 1st try. Took two tries to hit the next, but still OK in my book.

Thanks all for the great input. I need to gather some more loadings and chrony them through the gun, as well as test for groups. The bottom line is I couldn't be happier with this old Ruger.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Forester, Glad you had good success with 22 mag. To me the little extra kick is great!

Triplelock, that's a good question about the dia. of the LR vs. Mag. I didn't know there was a dif. If the bbls of the mag is dif than a LR only gun it could effect the LR shot from the Mag bbl. My 648 is deadly accurate with the mags at extended ranges. Is really fun to shoot. The ammo is a little higher priced but I have gotten bricks of 250 for $25, so that's great!

Just a lot of fun.

Maybe one of the experts here knows the dias. of the bullits and the bbls.

Dave

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I'm late to this thread. :)

I became a big fan of the .22WMR after I realized how effective it can be. Over the years, I've had several revolvers and rifles in that chambering - and currently have a Colt Frontier Scout in .22 Mag.

It's too expensive for much plinking, but is a very useful cartridge around the farm or ranch. JMO, but I consider the .22WMR shot cartridges to be more effective at close range than the CCI/Speer .44Mag shot cartridges. The fine #12 shot in the .22 will turn a rattler's head to hamburger at off-the-back-porch distances while the much larger #9s in the .44 will often take several rounds to do the same. I've shot a lot of both - and that's just my opinion.

Several of my friends who trap wild hogs on their property routinely use .22WMR to humanely dispatch the things. A .22WMR solid in the ear will always do the trick. (Prior to bleeding and buchering, we used to stun hogs on the family farm with a .22LR in the top of the head - and it didn't always work... :? )

Formerly, the .22WMR bullets were all plated or lubaloy lead - and I wasn't particularly impressed with the accuracy in a rifle. That didn't really matter in a revolver, but now, most of the new bullets are real jacketed solids and HPs and accuracy can be excellent in a good bore.

xtm

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Another late reply, my High Standard 9 shot .22 mag snub. It was my first pistol and for me it will always be a keeper...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts