Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
12,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday felt like a good day to take the model 48-4 to the range. So, I did some shooting ranging from 7-10 yards with single and double action shooting. First, I shot the bulls eye target and then the sabretooth chuck. Twenty-five rounds each. The reverse side of the target shows all 50 rounds with a fist size group. I shot 25 rounds of Rem 40gr and 25 rounds of Rem 33gr magnums. Another good day at range with a quality S&W. BTW the Rem 22 mag is very clean burning. I do shoot somewhat left though but I can live with that, my eyes aren't what they used to be.
Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel

Revolver Trigger Font Office supplies Art
Brown Air gun Revolver Trigger Wood

· Registered
12,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read that some model 48's get tied up with dirty ammo. Not with the Rem ammo I used yesterday. I have also shot CCI 22mag and my S&W wouldn't cycle until I unloaded and clean under the extractor a couple of times. Another thing I like is that you can try different bullets styles and power with factory ammo that won't break the bank. Oh, and leave the brass in the trash can.

· Registered
469 Posts
I've read that some model 48's get tied up with dirty ammo. Not with the Rem ammo I used yesterday. I have also shot CCI 22mag and my S&W wouldn't cycle until I unloaded and clean under the extractor a couple of times. Another thing I like is that you can try different bullets styles and power with factory ammo that won't break the bank. Oh, and leave the brass in the trash can.
I have issues with unburned powder grains tying mine up, and I'm using CCI ammo. I'll try to find some of the Remington stuff. I've just got in the habit of brushing under the extractor star after each cylinder load when I take mine to the range. That's a nice looking M48-4 you have. Mine's also a -4.

· Registered
448 Posts
Mine is a 6" -2. It goes to the range with My Henry pump. Both group best with CCI ammo.

When I get the unburned powder problem it's easily solved with a small paint brush.

· Registered
5,559 Posts
Wonderful pistols! Excellent shooting! Have wanted a .22 MRF since my days in the shipyard, when I first saw a little 4 inch ss j-frame .22 MRF. Love my 18. Think a four inch 48 would be ideal. Sincerely. bruce.

· Registered
12,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I was shooting and losing the front sight from time to time I remember my old prescription shooting glasses. I got them out of my range bag and gave them a try. They are still good for seeing the front sight and they helped out a lot. Basically, they are my old prescription for reading glasses with that part of the lenses higher in the glass. The top part of the Lense is just plain glass. I like to shoot with a Weaver Stance when shooting my S&W revolvers and the old classes are a big help and I don't have to tilt or raise my head to see the sights.:cool:

· Registered
40,555 Posts
Thanks for the range report! the pics are appreciated and it's always a great time when you can spend time at the range.

Reactions: 41 Charlie
1 - 11 of 11 Posts