Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
This Triple Lock was stored in a zippered case. Ballistol is an excellent cleaner/protector.
VERY sad--can understand why you'd be wary of a zippered (vinyl) case; but though Ballistol IS is an excellent cleaner/protector, it's not exactly a "high-tech" rust preventative (100+ yrs old). MOST important is humidity of the storage area; I can produce photos of guns stored 40 yrs in a vinyl case without rust.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
At 100+ years old Ballistol is still the best cleaner/protectant money can buy. Zero petroleum content, safe for the environment, and safe for your body. I don't see a down side.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
I prefer Cleanzoil when I can find it. The best cleaner will be a solvent, the best preservative will not; it will be something that provides a barrier from moisture and air - cosmoline comes to mind, but that's a bear to get rid of.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I prefer Cleanzoil when I can find it. The best cleaner will be a solvent, the best preservative will not; it will be something that provides a barrier from moisture and air - cosmoline comes to mind, but that's a bear to get rid of.
Right--the properties of the best cleaner do not make it the best long term preservative. But Cosmoline is gross overkill unless you're keeping the gun in the hold of a leaky ship, or simlilar high-humidity environment. Less radical products are effective, such as the LPS line (No. 1, 2, & 3) of products that I've used for decades, & other newer ones.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
Boeshield is another one - developed by Boeing for use on their aircraft to prevent corrosion.

Here is a great article where someone did a detailed real-world comparison of 46 products:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Here is a great article where someone did a detailed real-world comparison of 46 products:
Thanks for finding & posting this--VERY impressive testing procedure, though elimination of products no one would use on guns, like Pennzoil, would have made the results easier to digest; & who cares about odor?

Only one of 3 top-ranked products I've used is Froglube, which I tried hoping it would improve the chronic jamming problem of my Colt .22 conversion unit; it did no better than all the other lubes I've tried. But it's effectiveness for rust protection I didn't know.

Biggest surprise was the special WD 40 product I've never heard of, esp. since reguler WD 40 is one of the least effective things to use against rust.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts