Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my grandfather's S&W .22 I found as a kid and never saw again until after he died in 2002. Unfortunately I never asked him about it. I was curious as to the year it was manufactured? The serial on the bottom of the butt reads- M74358. It is a very short barrel maybe 1.25 inch 6-shooter with adjustable sights. Opening the cylinder shows MOD. 34-I, and 23997. Written in what appears black permanent marker is ww1. I know my grandpa served in the Navy for a spell, but beyond that I know nothing. We talked so much when I was growing up, but never about his revolver!
Thanks for your help and input.
I will try to get a few pictures for reference.

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
Howie, glad you joined the forum. From the description, you have a Model 34-1, which should have been manufactured from 1973 to 1977, that is if I'm reading the Smith & Wesson Standard Catalog correctly. I'm glad you have something from your Grandfather, it's great to own something you know a family member had. As to the gun, I don't have one, but I really do want to find a snub nose in .22LR for some plinking fun, especially with today's ammo prices! Welcome! :D

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Hi Howie,
A warm welcome to the forum. Your Model 34-1 22/32 Kit Gun with 2" barrel was made between 1973 and 1977. The model 34 Kit Gun is called 22/32 because it is a 22 LR version on a .32 size frame. It was known as the Kit Gun as it was a compact revolver that would go nicely in your kit for fishing, hunting, hiking, or whatever. They were sold from the 1930s to 1991 and were available in 2" and 4" barrel length. Blue or nickel plate and 1977 to 1999 also available as the model 63 in stainless steel. This was a commerical gun and was not military thus it was not a military momento.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much for the info! It is cool to have...it's a blue. Makes me wonder why he bought it. He was a supreme court Judge in KC Kansas and did preside over some murder cases, so perhaps a little peace of mind. I also have his Colt .38 Army Special, but rusted barrel so I cannot yet read the stampings.
I like the little .22! Man it is tiny. I may have a gunsmith check it out for me and find a place to shoot.

Again thanks for your help.

Howie

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also inherited a model 34-1. Serial m49768. 4" barrel. Blued steel excellent condition. Don't ever really want to sell it, but I am very curious about its history. Anyone have any info on this or where to get info? Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts