View attachment 579356
High Standard Sharpshooter M
View attachment 579357
Heritage Joker
View attachment 579358
And Kel Tec P17
View attachment 579359
And all get shot in turn
For your Joker edition there's a company that makes a shoulder stock.
Table Hood Wood Bumper Wood stain

·
Registered
8 Posts
With the ammo situation being as it has the past couple years, I have been shooting more 22 caliber rimfires.
Back in 2012 when I started buying handguns, a 22 was in the first couple. I bought a S&W, M&P 22. Those were the ones made by Walther. It was OK but I wasn’t overly thrilled. Then I got a Ruger SR22. I liked that way more than the S&Walther. I bought the M&P22 as a Black Friday special and after a couple years I got a chance to sell it for what I had paid. Took the money and got a nice, used stainless Buckmark with fiber optic front & rear sights and a 5.5” Bull barrel, priced at what I had just sold the M&P for. Again, it was alright but I felt it should shoot better or I should shoot it better. Meanwhile I had saved up and got a new 4 inch model 617. That revolver was just about rimfire perfection and I knew the Buckmark was headed down the road.
Eventually I took it to a gunshow where I traded it and a couple pictures of Ben Franklin for a nice pre model 43, airweight kit gun. It’s not as easy to bang bullseye’s as the 617 but I do better than with the Buckmark. I think I finally have 3 keepers.
View attachment 579244
After shooting a few of my guns, my wife has sort of claimed the Ruger. It’s the only one she shoots now so I sort of have to keep that one anyways. I’d actually like to get her the one with a purple frame and black slide, then swap slides so I have an all black gun and she has the purple with bright aluminum slide which I believe is not a combination Ruger ever did on these.
What are your favorite rimfire handguns?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My late father gave me this Colt Diamondback in 1982, when I was 14. I sold it to a dad of one of my friends when I was 19, for money to fix the brakes on my 1965 New Yorker. 30 years later in 2017 I asked my friend to check with his pop to see if he still had it, and he did! After a phone interview process (to make sure that I hadn't turned into a commie), I got it back for the price he had paid me for it in 1988 --- $250. Thanks and God Bless You, J.L. Southern
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
8 Posts
With the ammo situation being as it has the past couple years, I have been shooting more 22 caliber rimfires.
Back in 2012 when I started buying handguns, a 22 was in the first couple. I bought a S&W, M&P 22. Those were the ones made by Walther. It was OK but I wasn’t overly thrilled. Then I got a Ruger SR22. I liked that way more than the S&Walther. I bought the M&P22 as a Black Friday special and after a couple years I got a chance to sell it for what I had paid. Took the money and got a nice, used stainless Buckmark with fiber optic front & rear sights and a 5.5” Bull barrel, priced at what I had just sold the M&P for. Again, it was alright but I felt it should shoot better or I should shoot it better. Meanwhile I had saved up and got a new 4 inch model 617. That revolver was just about rimfire perfection and I knew the Buckmark was headed down the road.
Eventually I took it to a gunshow where I traded it and a couple pictures of Ben Franklin for a nice pre model 43, airweight kit gun. It’s not as easy to bang bullseye’s as the 617 but I do better than with the Buckmark. I think I finally have 3 keepers.
View attachment 579244
After shooting a few of my guns, my wife has sort of claimed the Ruger. It’s the only one she shoots now so I sort of have to keep that one anyways. I’d actually like to get her the one with a purple frame and black slide, then swap slides so I have an all black gun and she has the purple with bright aluminum slide which I believe is not a combination Ruger ever did on these.
View attachment 579244

·
Registered
8 Posts
View attachment 579244

·
Registered
17,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I always wished that Smith would make a K Frame .22 Magnum. Something like a Model 66 short barrel... but in Bright Stainless... Thoughts?
Well, they do make a K frame 22 mag in stainless. The model 648 holds 8 rounds but has a 6 inch full underlug barrel.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, hubby and I made the rounds of the Local Gun Stores. One actually had two Keltec P17's in stock - one in the case and one in the box from the manufacturer. They were both OD green which I think is about the nastiest thing you can do to a gun, but the gun fits my hands well and the trigger pull was not bad other than a BIG LOUD CLICK at the reset point, and if you insert an empty mag, the slide locks itself back when you pull it. The slide is not all that bad to rack back even without an empty magazine. For my weak hands and arms, it is a challenge, but doable. My solution is to lock the slide back while I still have one empty magazine. Ta da.

So I now own a truly ugly OD Green gun. It shoots well, or it will after I finally get used to the clickiness of the trigger and the fact that the bright fiber optic front sight makes a major challenge for me to line up the tops of the sights correctly. And the owners manual is very specific about how you have to load the mags IF you want the gun to work.

So far, two sessions: One shooting 30 rounds and one session shooting 60 rounds. I'm doing it in steps to see how many rounds I can shoot before it gets really dirty. The inside of the barrel collects more crud, faster, than my other .22's do. Only one failure, and that was a round trying to get into the chamber but getting stuck. I'm sure that was a magazine loading issue.

Will I continue to use this gun as a range toy? Sure. Would I buy this gun again? No. But I'm probably spoiled by the better quality ones I have.

·
Super Moderator
15,785 Posts
Keep your eyes out for a Model 41 S&W target pistol. They are superb.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts