Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
17,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the ammo situation being as it has the past couple years, I have been shooting more 22 caliber rimfires.
Back in 2012 when I started buying handguns, a 22 was in the first couple. I bought a S&W, M&P 22. Those were the ones made by Walther. It was OK but I wasn’t overly thrilled. Then I got a Ruger SR22. I liked that way more than the S&Walther. I bought the M&P22 as a Black Friday special and after a couple years I got a chance to sell it for what I had paid. Took the money and got a nice, used stainless Buckmark with fiber optic front & rear sights and a 5.5” Bull barrel, priced at what I had just sold the M&P for. Again, it was alright but I felt it should shoot better or I should shoot it better. Meanwhile I had saved up and got a new 4 inch model 617. That revolver was just about rimfire perfection and I knew the Buckmark was headed down the road.
Eventually I took it to a gunshow where I traded it and a couple pictures of Ben Franklin for a nice pre model 43, airweight kit gun. It’s not as easy to bang bullseye’s as the 617 but I do better than with the Buckmark. I think I finally have 3 keepers.
Sleeve Jersey Font Fashion accessory Wood

After shooting a few of my guns, my wife has sort of claimed the Ruger. It’s the only one she shoots now so I sort of have to keep that one anyways. I’d actually like to get her the one with a purple frame and black slide, then swap slides so I have an all black gun and she has the purple with bright aluminum slide which I believe is not a combination Ruger ever did on these.
What are your favorite rimfire handguns?

· Registered
638 Posts
I enjoy shooting my 22s, and I too, have been shooting them more as of late because of the components shortages and associated price increases. The M617 is hard to beat, but the S&W Victory and Ruger MKIV nip at it's tail.

Funny how this works out, SWMBO has made similar claims to what once was my Ruger SR22.
After shooting a few of my guns, my wife has sort of claimed the Ruger
Wood Metal Font Auto part Fashion accessory

· Registered
6,420 Posts
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Ammunition

Ready for a trip to the range with a no-name red dot sight. My favorite target shooter is my only remaining .22LR handgun. I started going to optics this past year after being in denial about my remaining vision for too long.

· Registered
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it
22 Posts
Walther Colt 1911. Wonderful pistol. Have yet to find .22 it won't run. Pistol is more accurate than I am able to fully exploit.

Was priced in the upper $300 range when we got ours. Only negatives would be capacity and magazine availability (ours only came with one).

Attachments

· Registered
black powder shooter
4,483 Posts
well, i get 22 challenged quite often too many options not enough range time. The 10 round 617 used to get the most trips, but these days its pretty hard to beat out the 15 22
it will absolutely put a drain on your 22 stockpile.. and the optic makes it easy on the old guy eyes..

Air gun Trigger Mammal Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
45,643 Posts
I am down to 3 - Ruger MKII with the 5.5" bull barrel and 2 K-22s with 6 inch barrels (17-2, 17-4)

· Registered
446 Posts
4" 63 no dash, 6" 48-2 and a gen 4 G19 with an Advantage Arms slide.

The Advantage Arms unit locks open empty, fits my holsters, magazines fit my pouches, it accepts any aftermarket sights and keeps the grip and trigger I'm accustomed to. I got it before the G44 was available, but after shooting them side by side I would go the same route.

· Registered
17,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
17-3
View attachment 579350
SST Single Six
View attachment 579351
Single Six Old Model
View attachment 579352
Mark IV 10 inch target and 5.5 inch upper
View attachment 579353
Mark IV Hunter
View attachment 579354
Buntline Single Six
View attachment 579355
High Standard Victor
View attachment 579356
High Standard Sharpshooter M
View attachment 579357
Heritage Joker
View attachment 579358
And Kel Tec P17
View attachment 579359
And all get shot in turn
I knew you had a few. How does that Kel-tek pistol run?

Reactions: Curt360

· Registered
638 Posts
I thought a Buntline had a long bbl. That Joker is one indeed!
17-3
View attachment 579350
SST Single Six
View attachment 579351
Single Six Old Model
View attachment 579352
Mark IV 10 inch target and 5.5 inch upper
View attachment 579353
Mark IV Hunter
View attachment 579354
Buntline Single Six
View attachment 579355
High Standard Victor
View attachment 579356
High Standard Sharpshooter M
View attachment 579357
Heritage Joker
View attachment 579358
And Kel Tec P17
View attachment 579359
And all get shot in turn

· Registered
1,813 Posts
I enjoy my S&W .22 compacts, but I enjoy my Browning 1911-22 even more, and no one has posted a picture of that one yet, so here it is - this is the "full size" model, which is 85% the size of a full size regular 1911.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

There is very little support for these guns, but a very nice friend made me a wonderful custom leather "hang from the belt" and curved to my body holster for range use. It is the ideal combination!

Joint Jeans Hand Shoulder White

I would like to see and handle one of those Keltec's. For a couple bucks that could be a fun addition to my group, if my hands think it will be fun. They are picky about fit and trigger pull, not to mention guns pointing naturally. I've eliminated every other .22 on the market that I know of and I can not shoot revolvers anymore, so that eliminates all of those.

OH YEAH - I also bought a Mark IV Light but wound up hating it for a lot of reasons so it is now hubby's fun, fun, fun gun. It ONLY likes CCI mini mags.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Recreation

· Registered
45,643 Posts
The Kel Tak is very ligh and the grip fits my hands very nicely. Feels almost like a toy gun but very little recoil and not tiring to the hand and joints.
I can say the same about my I frame in 32SWL with W/Cs; easy on the wrist

1 - 20 of 33 Posts