1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
22/32 Hand Ejector Heavy Frame Target

Today's Gun Show find.....

S&W22-32HEHeavyFrameTarget_01.JPG

22/32 I Frame Hand Ejector Heavy Frame Target........Yeah, calling an I Frame revolver a "Heavy Frame" is kinda funny........(chuckle)

The SN puts it in the last few year prior to the war.....

s S&W22-32HEHeavyFrameTarget_04.JPG

Some feller wanted my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington to join his stable and he had this 22/32 HE..............you see the result.

I had a chance to spend a few minutes with Leo......always makes for a good day.

Without rival, this is the biggest show in the state (December at the State Fairgrounds). I'm heading back tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Okay.........after review, I find that I misread the serial number and some questions now surface:

The Standard Catalog shows SN #'s 1911-1941 160000-536684......this gun is....5845XX

S&W22-32HEHeavyFrameTarget_SN_03.JPG

* Ejector rod tip is the mushroom type (not the smaller variety)
* Made in USA on right side of frame.....

S&W22-32HEHeavyFrameTarget_RightSide_01.JPG

* Rear Sight Adjustment Screws: Top Elevation & Right Side Small Windage

S&W22-32HEHeavyFrameTarget_RearSightTop_01.JPG

* Hammer Block.....?????

S&W22-32HEHeavyFrameTarget_HammerFiringPin.JPG

* Stamped into the wood on the bottom (external surface of the butt) of the left grip Pat June 5 1917 (I've never seen that stamped into a factory grip panel.....(it's very hard to see in the photo.....it shows-up live with a magnifier).....

S&W22-32HEHeavyFrameTarget_GripButtPatent_01.JPG

I'm beginning to wonder if this gun is "Postwar Or Transitional" Model.......the serial number and what appears to be a hammer block fits the catalog description.........the mushroom ejector knob is throwing me.

So, what do ya'll think? What do I have here????

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
That's a nice find and in my opinion a good trade. I agree with jonsey, the grips look like 1920s no-medallion Regulation Police, not the larger two screw HFT grips we are accustomed to seeing on these "Bekerts". Well done Sir. See you at the show.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a nice find and in my opinion a good trade. I agree with jonsey, the grips look like 1920s no-medallion Regulation Police, not the larger two screw HFT grips we are accustomed to seeing on these "Bekerts". Well done Sir. See you at the show.
The grips are not serial numbered and the grip frame has no markings (except the SN on the front of the grip strap). My standard catalog has a paragraph (after the main model description) that talks about a little known post war transitional model. Due to the fact that my SN is several thousand above the known pre war models and the presence of the hammer black which didn't exist before the war, yet the gun retains the long throw action......I'm leaning toward it being post war Transitional with a hammer black and comprised of pre war left over parts.

The grips/stocks and large mushroom ejector knob continue being mystery to me (both could easily have been changed).

View attachment 425531

·
Registered
17,480 Posts
Looks to be an excellent trade Geez. It comes with a Bonus, you get to do more research and the history of the old girl which to me is a lot of fun and rewarding. Congratulations.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Better get those glasses checked. Your serial number is 384506. That should explain a few things.
series guy, I thought that too..........but upon close inspection with a magnifying lens, the fist number looks more like a 5 and exactly the same as the 3rd digit 5. Also, it it was a 3 it would be a pre war model and not have the hammer block.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It comes with a Bonus, you get to do more research and the history of the old girl which to me is a lot of fun and rewarding.
Yep, I agree with ya Rodney.................!!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Enlarge the first photo in your second group of photos. It shows the first number to be a 3 to my eyes. And if you compare it ti the 5 in the serial number the 5 has a dip in the top, totally different style than the first number which is a 3. Here's a picture I just took of your picture blown up on my computer screen.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Enlarge the first photo in your second group of photos. It shows the first number to be a 3 to my eyes. And if you compare it ti the 5 in the serial number the 5 has a dip in the top, totally different style than the first number which is a 3. Here's a picture I just took of your picture blown up on my computer screen.
Rodney, you're right, the top of the 1st number (horizontal line) does make a dip that is not on the other number..............

·
Registered
674 Posts
The grips are not serial numbered and the grip frame has no markings (except the SN on the front of the grip strap). My standard catalog has a paragraph (after the main model description) that talks about a little known post war transitional model. Due to the fact that my SN is several thousand above the known pre war models and the presence of the hammer black which didn't exist before the war, yet the gun retains the long throw action......I'm leaning toward it being post war Transitional with a hammer black and comprised of pre war left over parts. heavt frame

Very nice acquisition!

1. It was the heaviest frame 22 ever made by S&W, especially compared to their only other 22 at the time; the tiny M frame. But they dropped the "Heavy" when the K22 target came out in 1931.

2. I frames never had but one action; no long action and no short action.

3. It does not have a the hammer block safety with the sliding bar. The shiny part you see in the hammer channel is just the back side of the lock bolt in the recoil shield.

4. As Series Guy referenced the time frame, it has:
• Aug. 29, 1923 change order, from the original Paine bead front sight w/U-Notch to a Patridge w/square notch rear.

5. The date on the grips was the patent for the unique grips that required the re bated back strap you see when you remove the grips. The serial # is penciled on the backside of the right grip. Post a photo of it. If you can't see it with the naked eye, computer manipulation will help to see it.

6. The RP stocks help date your gun:

• Prior to WW I, .22/32 Heavy Frame Target models were supplied with two screw extended target stocks as standard.

Above serial number ~258000 (right after WW I), the standard HFT stocks were replaced with Regulation Police stocks on a rebated grip frame, at first with deep dish gold plated brass medallions in the late 'teens. Checkered two-screw extension target stocks with gold plated brass medallions in ‘dished’ stock circle tops were optional until 1920 on I frames, w/o medallions until change order 2/11/1929 (see below).

By ~1920 Reg Police stocks were changed to rounded, convex top stocks w/o medallions. The two screw target stocks with convex stock tops and w/o medallions remained optional until after 1923 when they were reinstated as the standard stocks once again.

Hope that helps,
Jim

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The grips are not serial numbered and the grip frame has no markings (except the SN on the front of the grip strap). My standard catalog has a paragraph (after the main model description) that talks about a little known post war transitional model. Due to the fact that my SN is several thousand above the known pre war models and the presence of the hammer black which didn't exist before the war, yet the gun retains the long throw action......I'm leaning toward it being post war Transitional with a hammer black and comprised of pre war left over parts. heavt frame

Very nice acquisition!

1. It was the heaviest frame 22 ever made by S&W, especially compared to their only other 22 at the time; the tiny M frame. But they dropped the "Heavy" when the K22 target came out in 1931.

2. I frames never had but one action; no long action and no short action.

3. It does not have a the hammer block safety with the sliding bar. The shiny part you see in the hammer channel is just the back side of the lock bolt in the recoil shield.

4. As Series Guy referenced the time frame, it has:
• Aug. 29, 1923 change order, from the original Paine bead front sight w/U-Notch to a Patridge w/square notch rear.

5. The date on the grips was the patent for the unique grips that required the re bated back strap you see when you remove the grips. The serial # is penciled on the backside of the right grip. Post a photo of it. If you can't see it with the naked eye, computer manipulation will help to see it.

6. The RP stocks help date your gun:

• Prior to WW I, .22/32 Heavy Frame Target models were supplied with two screw extended target stocks as standard.

Above serial number ~258000 (right after WW I), the standard HFT stocks were replaced with Regulation Police stocks on a rebated grip frame, at first with deep dish gold plated brass medallions in the late 'teens. Checkered two-screw extension target stocks with gold plated brass medallions in ‘dished’ stock circle tops were optional until 1920 on I frames, w/o medallions until change order 2/11/1929 (see below).

By ~1920 Reg Police stocks were changed to rounded, convex top stocks w/o medallions. The two screw target stocks with convex stock tops and w/o medallions remained optional until after 1923 when they were reinstated as the standard stocks once again.

Hope that helps,
Jim
That's great info Jim........Thanks

Here's a coupla pics of the grips.....

S&W22-32HEHeavyFrameGrips_01.JPG S&W22-32HEHeavyFrameGrips_01a.JPG

S&W22-32HEHeavyFrameGrips_02.JPG S&W22-32HEHeavyFrameGrips_02a.JPG

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
I was a month ahead of you...

pix425813275.jpg The SCSW does not really address these as being built on Regulation Police frame/grips. I haven't bothered to settle the serial range issue so if you have that figured let me know. I simply assumed the 1903's, .32 RP's, and these share a range. But since its a .22?

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
View attachment 426441 The SCSW does not really address these as being built on Regulation Police frame/grips. I haven't bothered to settle the serial range issue so if you have that figured let me know. I simply assumed the 1903's, .32 RP's, and these share a range. But since its a .22?
My 3rd Edition of the SCSW, Page 396, top left 2nd category is ".22/32 Hand Ejector Series".........unfortunately, it lumps together 1911-1941 (with a reference to 1923).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts