Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range today and they're out of a bunch of calibers. They make you buy their ammo to shoot there, unless you're testing your favorite hollow points or something. They did have 9mm, but if I remember the sign on the door, they have no .40, .45, .38, or .357. I didn't ask if they'd waive their rule against shooting one's own reloads.

What's so odd is people definitely have ammo at home, otherwise the shelves wouldn't be empty. Is that really a drought, then?

·
Premium Member
10,955 Posts
Think of all those private "arsenals" being kept by people with thousands of rounds... Don't you love those media stories about "gun nuts" accumulating "thousands of rounds"... There could be very rational and reasonable reasons for stockpiling ammo at home. Just hope that they never figure out that you can also make your own.

The "drought" is probably simply because of the 2.7 million new gun buyers in March buying a few boxes for their new Glocks. Distribution channels only have so much available. Past shortages were due to Obama era EPA restrictions that interfered with lead mining and the manufacture of nitro-powder in the USA. There were considerable delays waiting for powder shipments from Thales in Australia (by the ship load) which then had to be milled for use.

Products | Australian Munitions

ADI is Thales own powder brand. You can see from this page that Hodgdon is Thales' strategic partner here in the USA. Hodgdon makes Winchester powders too (like W231 which is actually HP-38)... Shiploads of powder from Thales were inappropriately delayed, and an ammo shortage resulted a few years ago.

They were likely buying their very first gun.

Today, in the local shop I help out, they had a 4 box limit for 9mm purchase in the store. I don't think that there is a similar shortage today, just a run on available product in channel.

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
Thousands of rounds - per cartridge - for me.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
1000 rounds is maybe 3 trips to the range with the kids.
Media idiots.

·
Super Moderator
10,863 Posts
My rule of thumb is at least 1000 rounds for every handgun caliber and at least a couple hundred for non AR rifles. I'd like that number to be closer to 500. For the AR's, the sky is the limit. Currently have about 5K of that on hand. 22's count is near 15K. Anyone who wasn't building inventory over the last couple years when the prices came back down really missed the boat.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Some of these stores that sell ammo put out 1 box of this, 1 box of that just to make you think it's the last one, and you grab it. That's an old trick by store keepers. You watch from a distance after you grab yours, they restock 1 more box.

·
Registered
12,901 Posts
My rule of thumb is at least 1000 rounds for every handgun caliber and at least a couple hundred for non AR rifles. I'd like that number to be closer to 500. For the AR's, the sky is the limit. Currently have about 5K of that on hand. 22's count is near 15K. Anyone who wasn't building inventory over the last couple years when the prices came back down really missed the boat.
I agree Forester. The past couple years were an excellent time to build inventory. I keep 500 rounds of factory ammo on hand for each handgun caliber, at least, and try to keep 500-700 reloads on hand for each. I have built up component inventory and can load for about 2 years without buying anything.
I was in Walmart yesterday for the first time in a month. Their 22 ammo was dwindling but not gone. The only bulk packs left were 550rd Winchester white box, but there was a lot of Winchester Super X, CCI, Remington 100 round boxes left

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What’s humorous about sharing local conditions about ammo availability?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
well I got bit guys.

I just bought a .40. I haven't owned one in YEARS and traded away the ammo. New .40 coming Thursday. I can get .40 from some online sources but it would take 3 weeks to get and I would be pining to play with my new toy.

Luckily my buddy hooked me up. He had a bunch and I made him breakfast and bought a few boxes at regular market price and he is going to bring me a mess of brass so I can start reloading. I have bullets, powder and primers .. no brass .. but I should have some this week. Might cost me another meal!! :)

·
Super Moderator
19,408 Posts
I started buying ammo 12 years ago, and I haven't spent a penny on ammo in the past year. I can't even begin to guess how much ammo I have. Last count was 39, 50 Cal. ammo cans, and I still have at least enough ammo sitting out on the shelves to fill at least a couple more cans.
I have an entire 4' x 2' shelf nearly covered 6" deep in bullets, and another shelf in gunpowder. I'm not bragging, it just that 12 years of acquisitions whenever the opportunity presented itself, and there is no panic in my household.
I need to go fishing with Sidecarflip out on Lake Erie!

·
Premium Member
10,955 Posts
I started buying ammo 12 years ago, and I haven't spent a penny on ammo in the past year. I can't even begin to guess how much ammo I have. Last count was 39, 50 Cal. ammo cans, and I still have at least enough ammo sitting out on the shelves to fill at least a couple more cans.
I have an entire 4' x 2' shelf nearly covered 6" deep in bullets, and another shelf in gunpowder. I'm not bragging, it just that 12 years of acquisitions whenever the opportunity presented itself, and there is no panic in my household.
I need to go fishing with Sidecarflip out on Lake Erie!
Bring big magnets... They will pick up the cans if you dangle them just right.

Slow, steady, careful acquisition is the way to build up supplies. I'm not quite as well supplied, but several years ago when the CMP offered government surplus Remmington standard velocity .22LR ammo for 2 cents a round, I bought a bunch. I think about 15,000 rounds. I use it for teaching and had plenty during the .22LR ammo drought.

In addition to recycling case components, I also smelted and cleaned a couple of hundred pounds of lead alloy which is ready for casting as needed. The key critical supply needs are primers and powder so I'm careful to keep some stocked. Add electricity or propane if smelting becomes necessary.

Ammo availability has seemed to regularly fluctuate. It's why keeping some stock at hand is always smart. Besides, I've been waiting for the gun grabbers to start targeting ammo more aggressively.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a hypothetical... Someone who shoots 500 rounds a month and expects to shoot at that rate for 20 more years of their life needs 120,000 rounds.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Just a hypothetical... Someone who shoots 500 rounds a month and expects to shoot at that rate for 20 more years of their life needs 120,000 rounds.
My buddy who was by yesterday said ... "If you know how much ammo you have and can quote it ... you dont have enough"

Having said that he is single and can use cases of ammo as foot rests in his living room with no one to say otherwise. I have grown very accustomed to a warm body next to me at night .. I will only keep what I can store!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
A side story. Part of the shortage of TP is not just hoarding but production as MRERICK said about ammo above. TP production is pretty flat, not a lot of fluctuation. Problem is right now there are two types of TP, 2 ply virgin fiber for home and 1 ply recyled fiber for businesses. With people staying home, demand for home tp has soared and demand for business tp languishes. They say there is a ton of business tp. Wonder if they will try to sell it?

So back to guns. Demand is striping out production. I am sitting on about 1300 rds of 22LR (bought a case of 1100 cheap at LGS) and about 1100 on 9mm with another 35 JHP. OK for normal daily use but wish I had more now. Just bought my first AR, Sport II 556, and LGS siad they would take care of me on ammo when I ordered it. They are not showing ammo on line but when store re-opened and I picked up the rifle, I got a box of 500 rounds of Federal 556 for about $285. Thought I had seen it for about 30 cents a round so held off. Wish I had picked up more! Target Sports out of 9mm and 223 and 556 as of few moments ago when I checked.

Glad to have a face known relationship with LGS.

Learing from others above, I need to quit living with day to day ok and realize shortage will occur. As Mrerick said, build slowly, taking advantage of opportunities.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Side thought. We talk about the thousands of rounds people have BUT here is another issue - How many MAGAZINES do you have? 2000 rounds with only 2 -3 magazines that came with the gun are kind of worthless in a crisis. IF the SHTF occurs will you have time to reload or have somebody to reload for you? For most of us, the only ammo that will count is the ammo loaded in a magazine that you can quickly pick up and reload. Think about it.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Because of the boating accident I do not have any firearms but I do have at least 1500 rounds of the most popular stuff. I don't even count 22lr because its in the thousands. Someday I will get over my gun loss and purchase new firearms.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Bring big magnets... They will pick up the cans if you dangle them just right.

Slow, steady, careful acquisition is the way to build up supplies. I'm not quite as well supplied, but several years ago when the CMP offered government surplus Remmington standard velocity .22LR ammo for 2 cents a round, I bought a bunch. I think about 15,000 rounds. I use it for teaching and had plenty during the .22LR ammo drought.

In addition to recycling case components, I also smelted and cleaned a couple of hundred pounds of lead alloy which is ready for casting as needed. The key critical supply needs are primers and powder so I'm careful to keep some stocked. Add electricity or propane if smelting becomes necessary.

Ammo availability has seemed to regularly fluctuate. It's why keeping some stock at hand is always smart. Besides, I've been waiting for the gun grabbers to start targeting ammo more aggressively.
I got some that CMP .22. I've never opened it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts