Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,433 Posts
Nice pair! :) Congrats on acquiring a couple of nice revolvers. Enjoy! Oh...and..hopefully a range report to follow soon?

Reactions: Mjh and Boriqua

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
Usually stainless models start w/ the numeral 6, scandium w/ #3; blued & nickel just have the model #. Can they handle +P? Theoretically yes but standard 158 grain semi wadcutters will work fine for anything smaller than a grizzly... why beat your gun & hand up unnecessarily?
PS: $450 each sounds like a reasonable price.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Two very nice S&W revolvers. If you buy two at a time it won’t take you long to build a really good collection. 38 Special hollow points are enough for carry situations. Both will handle +P but why????

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida. weiweinp

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Super Moderator
19,539 Posts
the "-5" is the engineering model revision. It is used so they can keep track of the modifications, and the differences from the original non-dash versions. Every time S&W made a major engineering change they issued a new dash number as a suffix to the model number. If it was a model made of stainless it would usually have a 6 as a non dash prefix to the model number.
I. E. Model 29 is a blued 44 magnum revolver, and a model 629 is the stainless 44 magnum counterpart. There are some model numbers that start with a 6, but do not correlate to the blued version. The model 10 is a blued .38 Special revolver, and the model 610 is a 10MM stainless revolver.
With S&W there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules in their numbering system.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
322 Posts
Nice pickup. Enjoy shooting them but I would limit +P in the M38 to carry rounds only as it was not certified for +P, the 638 is +P certified as is the 649. The 49 and 38 were not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I really like that model 10 you have there.

Today's 38 special ammo is pretty watered down compared to the ammo being used at the time your m10 was produced. I wouldn't hesitate to carry +p ammo in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts