Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep....

Expect to see one posted here in a few weeks...
Most expensive handgun I ever got tripped up over. ;)

giz

·
Registered
306 Posts
Wouldn't it be something if it turns out to be born in the same year as your new 32-20 Winchester?
You must buy this revolver and post pics for our amusement. We demand it!!! hpzl;n; hpzl;n; hpzl;n;

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Hey, Giz
I'm a little worried over the "...got tripped up over." part. happyroller
Hope the gun's everything you expect it to be.
Anxious to see the photos, too!
Don

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
If it's the 5 1/2" gun with hard rubber grips and almost no finish that's been floating around Maine for the past five years I've owned it once.... the firing pins FUBAR and it won't ignite 2 of the 6 rounds everytime....

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Lord Slashcat said:
Wouldn't it be something if it turns out to be born in the same year as you ?
You must buy this revolver and post pics for our amusement. We demand it!!! hpzl;n; hpzl;n; hpzl;n;
Fixed that for you Lord Slashcat nfiofnp

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drew,

If it's the one at KTP then that's even better.... :mrgreen:

They have had Les workin' as the gunsmith for about two years and if anything is wrong with it, he'll make it right. And he's one of the better guys around six guns that I know. Besides....it's a original Bisley and in a very desirable caliber. Thinkin' it's worth a little restoration work.

So it'll be all good.... ;)

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Well then good for you!

You know of course that if there's one disease worse than K-22 collecting is SAA's ..... worse than crack.

Let me know when you want to sell your truck to make the next Colt Six Gun deal..... ;)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Ah, I love them Single Action Armys. My first center-fire handgun was a .32-20 Colt SAA. Given to me by my Uncle who got it from my Grandfather. He bought it from my Grandmother's Uncle. I don't know where he got from. Probably from some drunken Injun on the Reservation who needed another bottle of rot-gut whiskey.

It was manufactured in 1901. The bore and chambers are still in mint condition. The exterior, however, looks like it went to sh*t and the hogs ate it. Original grips, too. I used to shoot it back before hearing protection became fashionable. "Huh? What's that you say? Can't hear a thing you're saying. Speak up, boy!"

It's the gun that got me to reloading. Even back in the early 60's .32 WCF was pricey. Especially for a young, teen-aged punk what bucked hay and moved irrigation pipe for spending money. I still have a considerable stash of 100 grain, Remington JSP bullets that I bought and hoarded over the years. It's also the gun that got me into bullet casting. I got so much lead in me, my bones are lead. It leached out the Calcium. That's how I got the nickname Ol' Leadbottom. I used so much bees wax to flux the metal that I smell like honey comb. Everybody used to call me "Honey." ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Sebago Son said:
...and it won't ignite 2 of the 6 rounds everytime....
Sounds like a kit gun I know. :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QC,

What a great tale... ;)

Makes me wish we didn't live so far apart. Love to go out to the Peach Orchards and spend some time chewin' on some of your brewed coffee.

Bisley is on hold for me and I've lined up the gunsmith to look her over. Sounds alot like the gun that QC described and that's OK. I want it to be a shooter and function like a new gun...don't care for what the original finish looks like. I will do my best to find a set of original style grips and if that doesn't go....Stags.

giz

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Thanks, Giz.

Near as I can tell, the Colt entered the family sometime in the early to mid 20's. The folks who know are now gone or, like me, they've got CRS. All my Grandpa could tell me was that he got it sometime before my Mom was born. I can't tell you how often I've replaced the sear & bolt spring. Or the hand and hand spring. Over the years I've become quite the accomplished SAA gunsmith. I learned by trial & error. A lot of trial and mostly error.

It doesn't get shot much, anymore. Your post got me up and sent me searching through a couple of foot-lockers 'til I found it. It brings back fond memories of good times with family. I'd pass it on to a younger generation, 'cept there ain't nobody who'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Quarter Cherokee said:
Ah, I love them Single Action Armys. My first center-fire handgun was a .32-20 Colt SAA. Given to me by my Uncle who got it from my Grandfather. He bought it from my Grandmother's Uncle. I don't know where he got from. Probably from some drunken Injun on the Reservation who needed another bottle of rot-gut whiskey.

It was manufactured in 1901. The bore and chambers are still in mint condition. The exterior, however, looks like it went to sh*t and the hogs ate it. Original grips, too. I used to shoot it back before hearing protection became fashionable. "Huh? What's that you say? Can't hear a thing you're saying. Speak up, boy!"

It's the gun that got me to reloading. Even back in the early 60's .32 WCF was pricey. Especially for a young, teen-aged punk what bucked hay and moved irrigation pipe for spending money. I still have a considerable stash of 100 grain, Remington JSP bullets that I bought and hoarded over the years. It's also the gun that got me into bullet casting. I got so much lead in me, my bones are lead. It leached out the Calcium. That's how I got the nickname Ol' Leadbottom. I used so much bees wax to flux the metal that I smell like honey comb. Everybody used to call me "Honey." ;) ;)
Skeeter ain't muerto...he's alive and well in the Peach Orchard!

Giz, I can't wait for the photos! hpzl;n;

·
Registered
288 Posts
Quarter Cherokee said:
Thank you, Mr. Keith. It's quite an honor to be mentioned in the same sentence as Skeeter. I'll take that as a compliment.
It was intended as such, my friend. I think you're a feller I'd like to meet in person one of these days! kfjdrfirii

1 - 14 of 14 Posts