Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got it today. Super rare from what the experts tell me. I have a request in to Colt for a letter. It has the original box which is for a 7 1/2" SAA. Rollmark reads "Colt Single Action Army .357", no "magnum" wording which indicates an original 1st gen. barrel. This sixgun's authenticity speaks for itself. #357274 same on frame and grip frame.

The King sights and short action job along with the "cockeyed" hammer are worth the price of the gun alon IMHO. Trigger is wide and hand checked as is the hammer. I understand Dean King did each of these by hand, Enjoy (even though i do not even rate as a rank amature photogropher)!

Original box close up

Full photo of box

Note the original hammer spur imprint.

Showing short action throw

About 70 years too late to register for the warranty

·
Registered
600 Posts
That is very sweet. A letter for sure would be worth it. I'll bet that case/color hardening is more beautiful in person. Great find.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
unbelievable. Thank you for sharing... not bad photos either... for an old guy! Just kidding!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Sorry Kevin, you're not the old guy... I mistakenly thought you were keith44spl... you know, similar pictures and all! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
f150guy said:
Sorry Kevin, you're not the old guy... I mistakenly thought you were keith44spl... you know, similar pictures and all! :mrgreen:
No worries Chris...you didn't miss by much!

·
Super Moderator
32,508 Posts
That is a gorgeous revolver! kfjdrfirii

Chris, you are not alone. I see the picture and the name Keith in the ID and have to look twice. :lol:

Both Kevin Keith and Dave make me think of the other person when I see either one. Both are old school LEOs and I have read some great stories written here by both.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WendyZXZ said:

Chris, you are not alone. I see the picture and the name Keith in the ID and have to look twice. :lol:

Both Kevin Keith and Dave make me think of the other person when I see either one. Both are old school LEOs and I have read some great stories written here by both.
Wendy, my old partner lives in China Spring. Everett Wright. Not a big gun guy but he has a few. His interest now in his retirement is old clocks. You can usually find him drinking coffee every morning at the cafe (y'all probably have more than one) drinking coffee with all the other old coots! (BTW, he wouldn't recognize my nom de plume...just tell him K.D. says hi!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Hey Kevin,

Man, that is nice!!!

I certainly revel in your good fortune.

(Never knew a ol' Keith boy that didn't appreciate a fine firearm)

Toast; "Aquí está a su buena suerte!"

Su Amigo,
Dave

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keith44Spl said:
Hey Kevin,

Man, that is nice!!!

I certainly revel in your good fortune.

(Never knew a ol' Keith boy that didn't appreciate a fine firearm)

Toast; "Aquí está a su buena suerte!"

Su Amigo,
Dave
Salud! jvfmn;o

·
Super Moderator
32,508 Posts
Kevin Keith said:
WendyZXZ said:

Wendy, my old partner lives in China Spring. Everett Wright. Not a big gun guy but he has a few. His interest now in his retirement is old clocks. You can usually find him drinking coffee every morning at the cafe (y'all probably have more than one) drinking coffee with all the other old coots! (BTW, he wouldn't recognize my nom de plume...just tell him K.D. says hi!
We do have a couple of cafes. I will just have to look for a guy who is the right age and drinking with the coots! LOL. :p

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Well done Kevin!
How did your 'old coot' eyes spot that one? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Knowing next to nothing about 1st generation Colts, this is a really super thread, very educational and interesting. Its a beautiful gun too. How good is the action? Thanks for showing it off!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I can't believe I missed seeing all the recent King/Colt threads until this morning! I've only seen and handled one King short-action Colt SAA, but I've got it in my mind that it's my #1 all-time favorite revolver. :)

KK, that is a heckuva find - a "grail" gun if there ever was one! It'll be great for tromping around in the woods pretending you're one of the other Keith Boys! ;)

xtm

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
xtimberman said:
KK, that is a heckuva find - a "grail" gun if there ever was one! It'll be great for tromping around in the woods pretending you're one of the other Keith Boys! ;) xtm
Oh, yeah, it is my grail gun! IWhile others lusted after the #5 SAA I was always drawn to Elmer's 7 1/2" .44 Special with the King short action and sights!

I do, however, prefer cactus and mesquite to the woods! ;) I only live in Burleson 'cause the little woman is from here. I hail from way out yonder in West Texas!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
It was 25+ years ago, but I'm pretty sure the one I handled was a 7 1/2" .38 Special. It sported a small amount of tasteful non-factory engraving and some gold plating on the trigger, grip straps, and hammer. .38 Special wouldn't have been my 1st choice of the available chamberings and the plating was sort-of gaudy, but I still coveted it in a big way.

Yep, the #5 was mighty fine - but not my favorite either. Ruger pretty well has that grip frame covered by their various modified "Bisleys". I don't think anyone has that King short action duplicated for current modification.

xtm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts