Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1985 66-2 3” Combat Magnum. I have an official letter addressed to me from 1999. - Roy Jenks S&W historian confirmed if was from a special run of 4195 in 1985. In very very good condition, I have had since around 1996 probably never shot more than 40 rounds. Unfortunately I never had the original box. Just curious of what this piece is worth, realistically? I see a couple were auctioned fairly high and listed as “rare” or “ultra rare”

·
Premium Member
20,502 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Post some pictures so the experts can appraise it.

Reactions: RKBA

·
Registered
21,208 Posts
It's hard to appraise it from only a verbal description. We need pictures!!! Bob

·
Registered
15,189 Posts
I own a 1985 66-2 3” Combat Magnum. I have an official letter addressed to me from 1999. - Roy Jenks S&W historian confirmed if was from a special run of 4195 in 1985. In very very good condition, I have had since around 1996 probably never shot more than 40 rounds. Unfortunately I never had the original box. Just curious of what this piece is worth, realistically? I see a couple were auctioned fairly high and listed as “rare” or “ultra rare”
Rare, is the most used word on Gunbroker, when it comes to revolver ads. What's funny is sometimes one ad will say a gun is rare, and yet there are 8 or 10 more posted just like it. That being said, the 3 inch model 66 is the most uncommon of all the 66's, and being a distributor exclusive makes yours even more uncommon, or maybe even rare. I would not be surprised if it is worth$1300- $1500 or there about. Having the box, tools and original documents it came with, in unfired condition could bump it up to near the $2000 area

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The large gun auction website currently has several listed. The starting/asking price is from $1800 to $3500 and none have bids. There have been several sold recently but they were "bright stainless" and brought in the $2500 range. Funny thing is that there were no real Bright Stainless guns. They were both clearly polished (based on the washed out markings) and "marketed" as rare.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am now looking for a pair of correct grips for my 1985 66-2. I see factory checkered grips for K&L frames, correct era mid 80’s. Question is to be correct, square or round butt?

·
Registered
15,189 Posts
I am now looking for a pair of correct grips for my 1985 66-2. I see factory checkered grips for K&L frames, correct era mid 80’s. Question is to be correct, square or round butt?
Since your revolver was a special run for Ashland Dist., I am pretty sure that the combat grips on the gun are the correct grips for that gun. Other 3" 66's made for Ashland that I have seen were wearing the combats. I noticed that your letter did not mention that it shipped with magna grips, or combats for that matter, but I do believe the combats are correct. They were often put on distributor specials

1 - 14 of 14 Posts