Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it took several years but I finally found a decent Security Six with the 2.75" barrel. For me that' s a bonus because I like short barreled revolvers. Won it yesterday at an auction. When it was all said and done with I paid $541.80. It was an internet auction, but the auction company is only a few miles from my house so I was able to give it a thorough exam before the bidding began in earnest. I got in a bit of a bidding war for it. It's a 151 prefix and a serial number search shows it being made approximately 1975. Placed it next to my GP100 3" for the sake of comparison. You know people talk about certain Colts and Smith & wessons being hard to find, but I have had a heck of a time locating a nice Security Six...or a Police Six/Speed Six. This one took a few years. I've actually been saving up for one of the new Pythons, but I didn't want to let this one go so I dipped it into my savings. That's okay I can build it back up and eventually the 2020 Python will be around in large numbers (and hopefully they will have the teething issues fixed by then)…….unlike the Security Six.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Yessir, the snubby stubby versions of the "six" series are getting hard to find. You did well to snag it when you could. kjdfjemnd
These live here ,,,,,, and are not leaving.

Actually I'm not ignoring ANY of the Ruger Sixes these days and just recently hauled this Service /Police home . It probably won't stay forever BUT ,,,, It is a great sized , well balanced gun.

The Six Series should not be as overlooked as it is. nvonjvila

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are not easy to find in South-Western Idaho. Even used Ruger GP100s are priced between $500 - $600 typically and they aren't very common in the used sections of local gun-stores either. I guess Idahoans love Ruger revolvers.

·
Registered
27,257 Posts
Sweet! Nice Addition to your collection. My first .357 was a 3" GP100 which I still have today. Built like a tank and reliable. Would get a Security Six if the opportunity arises and the price is good.;) Congrats!

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
Well it took several years but I finally found a decent Security Six with the 2.75" barrel. For me that' s a bonus because I like short barreled revolvers. Won it yesterday at an auction. When it was all said and done with I paid $541.80. It was an internet auction, but the auction company is only a few miles from my house so I was able to give it a thorough exam before the bidding began in earnest. I got in a bit of a bidding war for it. It's a 151 prefix and a serial number search shows it being made approximately 1975. Placed it next to my GP100 3" for the sake of comparison. You know people talk about certain Colts and Smith & wessons being hard to find, but I have had a heck of a time locating a nice Security Six...or a Police Six/Speed Six. This one took a few years. I've actually been saving up for one of the new Pythons, but I didn't want to let this one go so I dipped it into my savings. That's okay I can build it back up and eventually the 2020 Python will be around in large numbers (and hopefully they will have the teething issues fixed by then)…….unlike the Security Six.
I wish Ruger would have stayed with the full grip frame like your SS. Nice pick up.:cool: And these Ruger's wont break the bank if you want to collect a few.

·
Registered
19,970 Posts
Very nice Snubby. I like them too. Really like the grips on the Speed and Police Service. And are not bad shooting 357 mag out of either. Congrats on getting yours and sure it will not be the last.

IMG_3322.JPG
Security Six 2.jpg
resized Ruger Speed Six.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
I had a 2 3/4" Speed-Six, blue, back in the day. We bought it for my (ex) wife, but she almost never shot it. No concealer carry (legal anyway) so it was really more a less a range toy. Nice gun, good shooter. It desperately needed a T-grip, which you could actually buy over the counter back then. That made a big difference. I think we paid somewhere around $180.00 for it, NIB.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Took me some time to wrestle this Speed Six out of the hands of someone I know and now that it's in my hands it ain't going anywhere.
That's a really nice Security Six. I need to keep my eyes open for good looking Six series in blue.

DSCN3361.JPG

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a 2 3/4" Speed-Six, blue, back in the day. We bought it for my (ex) wife, but she almost never shot it. No concealer carry (legal anyway) so it was really more a less a range toy. Nice gun, good shooter. It desperately needed a T-grip, which you could actually buy over the counter back then. That made a big difference. I think we paid somewhere around $180.00 for it, NIB.
I have a set of Pachmayr "Grippers" on order from Amazon. I like the old walnut grips, but for practical purposes I prefer rubber grips. Of course I'll hold onto the wood grips for photo-ops.

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
I have a set of Pachmayr "Grippers" on order from Amazon. I like the old walnut grips, but for practical purposes I prefer rubber grips. Of course I'll hold onto the wood grips for photo-ops.
I had grippers on a SS Security-Six, 4" I got later. When my wife and I split up, she took that gun as "her's", her speed-six having been traded/sold off somewhere along the line. I tried to buy that gun back from her a couple of years later, but she was too smart for that. That girl always did know good guns.

That Security-Six was my "bum around the woods gun." The Stainless-Steel gun, with the black Pachmayr grips, in a black Uncle Mikes Sidekick holster, looked great, and nothing would get hurt if I took a tumble into the swamp or river. Good all round combo.

Regards the wood grips on most Rugers. We used to say when Ruger went into business they bought one tree to use for grips. And they were still using it. I think they might still be even now. :)

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
I have been using a SS Speed-Six as my EDC for several years now. A comfortable piece to carry and shoot, at least for me. The Rutgers don’t have S&W precision, but they are virtually immune to abuse. GP-100 on top. Speed-Six on the bottom. Custom finger groove stocks from a California stock maker.

A452A710-8337-46C5-83C1-3056A925E581.jpeg

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
The Rutgers don’t have S&W precision, but they are virtually immune to abuse.
Not meant to be an incendiary poke in the eye statement but I have never understood that concept ,,,,,long held by S&W lovers.
What is not precision ?
The cylinders have proper sized holes that are well aligned with the proper sized barrel bore. Timing is usually impeccable and stays that way for a long time. The genius trigger modules allow for a more ridged frame (no side plate).
True , the trigger will have a different "feel" because it has a different design and geometry . But with proper smoothing and or break in plus familiarity it is incredibly shootable.
Frames may be cast but are then machined to spec. And you never hear of one coming apart without some stupidity involved.
Fact is if any revolver is not "precision " it would be , in short order , a hand grenade.
I think this is just something we S&W lovers say out of habit,,,,, about most every OTHER revolver maker.nvonjvila

Reactions: Checkman

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Needsmo, my Ruger ( not Rutger) had an Ok trigger. I had an armorer put a carry trigger job on it. That smoothed it up some without it being light. You’re right, a different feel from the Smiths, but a nice trigger. There is also a different feel/ sound as I close the action on my Smiths . Just the sound/ feel of fine machinery. The Ruger locks up well, just more like a thunk than the click with the Smith’s. I’m a Ruger fan, had several over the years and never been disappointed. And I bet my life on my Speed-Six every day! Hank

1 - 17 of 17 Posts